Install and run in Linux?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wraith
Engineer
Engineer

Install and run in Linux?

Post by Wraith »

Heya a new face to the forum here :)

The last time I played Transport Tycoon Deluxe was on my old 486 and I have suddenly had the urge to come back to it. I am pretty amazed that not only are people distributing ports of the game but improvements to the game are also being made. Anyway to come to my problem, I have the original TTD CD however I have moved on from my old 486 and now only have a Powerbook running OS X and a PC running Linux Gentoo (no Windows partition anymore). Doing a bit of searching it seems OpenTTD should run perfectly fine in Linux but as it requires you to copy the grf files from the installation dirctory. Now as I don't have windows I can't install it to get those files and looking at the CD the files seem to be somehow compressed and split over many files.

Is there a way of creating them from the files on the CD from within Linux and if not is someone prepared to send me them? I know it wouldn't really be legal but it's not like I don't own the game.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Have you tried Wine?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Hi Wraith!

To get the files: Dunno, but here in the forums are lots of download links for TTD, just take your files from there :wink:
Wraith
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wraith »

Yes, I can't get the installer working through wine. It loads up the installr and then when you click on English it just says "File not found". Also tried playing with mpscopy.exe directly but no luck there either :(
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I'm trying to port OTTD to OSX. It's nearly done. I can upload it, when it's done. I'm not sure how long it will take to fix the last problem, and it's currently unplayable
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

Let me know when you've got it up and running, Bjarni, as I'm very interested in a OSX port as well although I currently don't have a Mac at my command.
Protect the Banana
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I have done it 8)

OTTD is running on OSX

the next thing is to get the keyboard to work and the main menu.
Attachments
OTTD on OSX.jpg
OTTD on OSX.jpg (207.94 KiB) Viewed 813 times
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

Nice! Good work!

Did it require much changes? Like what? Do you have a patch against the version in SVN or something?
Protect the Banana
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

So far it didn't nedd many changes, but the keyboard is disabled, so I'm not done yet and it crashes each time I try to get to the main menu. The last one looks hard, since I have no idea why.
MadEgg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MadEgg »

What did you do to omit the 'sys/statvfs.h' file not found error?
Protect the Banana
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

commented it out
Next I will try to get that part of the code to work, but it's more fun to work on the code when it is able to start the game :D
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

lol, I know that I always have that when starting to build a website... Anyway to get back on-topic:
Wraith, did you get to download a TTD copy with files in it (no installer) if not, I could send you the files or something
just send me a PM and we'll talk about it
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!

Return to “General OpenTTD”