(UNIV) Canadian Train Set Development - *Update 11/09/11*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Hi guys... I just had a few thoughts about the electrics thing -

You could have:

L&PSRR Interurbans and boxcabs for the early years

CN EMUs (Suburban Montreal) for the middle years

AND.... ta - da!

The Calgary C-Train (or Edmonton Subway) for the 1980s onward! It uses catenary, it would fit right in!

And... no F59 (Used by West Coat Express in Vancouver) or Bombardier Trilevel coaches (used by GO transit and now many US commuter lines)?

:o
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

OOPS =>Double Post...
Last edited by DanMacK on 20 Mar 2004 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well of course we'd have BBD Bi-levels, but they've already been drawn for the US set. :) As far as the F59's, they're also in the works as well, but we'd also need standard cab ones (repainted F40's basically) if we're using actual liveries (GO). We'd have to have the Montreal Steeplecabs for the 50's as well. Possibly for freight, as the Boxcabs were built in the late teens. Keep the EMU's as Passenger cars

I've got a load of work still left with the US set, so it'll be awhile before I can start on this one. Still, it's good to get ideas out there.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Don't forget Dan you promised to do the Japanese steamers too... :lol:

No worries, the Canadian set will come about in due time.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

Dan, you are going to very busy! I'd just like to mention how glad I am to see a Canadian set. I never knew there were so many Canadians on the forums!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

:D At this rate, I'll never be able to play TTD again! :lol: I wasn't aware there were that many Canucks either, but we are here! Any suggestions for more equipment? I'll get a website up shortly. We definitely need to have at least one, maybe 2 "Wide-Cab" units as well as some "Draper Taper" units. For example, I'd suggest an SD40-2 in 4 different schemes. CN SD40-2 w/Standard Cab, CN SD40-2W Wide-nose, SD40-2 in standard CP Red and a CP SD40-2F full carbody.

Other full-carbody units I'd like to include would be the Bombardier HR616 and a GE Dash 8-40CM Only difference we'd have externally on these two would be stripes facing a different way :) and maybe a few different bits of grillwork. Could have an alternate livery for the Dash-8 of BC Rail

Any other suggestions for Canadian locos?

We'd also have to have the "Change Livery" feature around 1965 for the older diesels. We'd need to go from old colours to new colours. This is one of those "In=Progress" things. I'll dabble here and there. I'll likely start working on the website shortly, which will initially just be a table like what krtaylor has for the Techincal site. After I get closer to finishing what I'm doing for the Japan and US sets, I'll start doing more for the Canadian set.
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

Take your time eh? We'd love the sets to turn out great, (not saying they won't) so don't rush yourself.

As for more trains, I've only seen 2 types in my life. The SD40, and the Edmonton LRT. I hadn't been following this topic for long, so I'm not sure if the Edmonton's LRT train had been mentioned in the set or not.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

way-2-fun, I'd be willing to bet you've seen A LOT more than just SD40's, you just don't know it :P (Then again if you're along CP, that IS pretty much all you'll see :D ) I'm old enough to remember FP7's on VIA Trains. Heck, I'm old enough to remember riding VIA RDC's :)

We haven't got much electric to include, but here's a revised list of what I propose. Links to photos are only added for locos I haven't linked to yet.

Steam:
2-8-0 Consolidation
4-6-2 Pacific
2-8-2 Mikado
4-6-4 Hudson
4-8-2 Mountain
4-8-4 Northern
2-10-4 Selkirk
One more addition
2-10-2 Santa Fe CNR and CP both had these, but I'd suggest having the CN model. They were arguably the most powerful loocmotives in the Brisith Empire when they were built.

Diesel:
CNR '9000' Boxcab
MLW RS3
GMD F7
MLW FA-2
GMD GP9
Budd RDC
FM/CLC H24-66 "Train Master"
MLW FPA4
MLW RS18
GMD SW1200RS
GMD GMD1
MLW C424
GMD GP38-2(or GP38-2W)
MLW M636
GMD SD40-2 (several different appearances/liveries)
Bombardier LRC Power Car
GMD F40PH-2
GMD SD75I
GE AC4400CW
GE P42

Additions:
GE C40-8M
Bombardier HR616
MLW M420W

Electrics:

Boxcab Locomotive Used for Freight & passenger trains
Interurban Coach/Trailer
Interurban Baggage MotorCan haul 1 or 2 freight/passenger cars
Steeplecab
CNR EMU
Montreal Commuter EMU
GMD GF6C

The Interurbans will go great in the early 20's if we can get buses and trucks from that era as well. The freight engines weren't fast, but they were powerful. I'd also suggest continuous power for the Interurban and EMU cars. Yes there were unpowered trailers, but for our purposes continuous power is better.

Most freight cars will be similar to those in the US set, and as we tend to see A LOT of US roads up here, random liveries will be fine.

Any other additions?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I figure you'd just reuse all the US set's freight cars, they're pretty much the same anyway.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

DanMacK wrote:way-2-fun, I'd be willing to bet you've seen A LOT more than just SD40's, you just don't know it :P
I bet you're right. I don't know much about trains, I wouldn't know one from another, but here's a more reasonable statement, I've seen majority SD40's, and the Edmonton LRT. I don't see many trains as it is, not many come by my area, and if they do, I'll probrally miss them.
Davus Antonius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Davus Antonius »

DanMacK wrote:way-2-fun, I'd be willing to bet you've seen A LOT more than just SD40's, you just don't know it :P (Then again if you're along CP, that IS pretty much all you'll see :D ) I'm old enough to remember FP7's on VIA Trains. Heck, I'm old enough to remember riding VIA RDC's :)

We haven't got much electric to include, but here's a revised list of what I propose. Links to photos are only added for locos I haven't linked to yet.

Steam:
2-8-0 Consolidation
4-6-2 Pacific
2-8-2 Mikado
4-6-4 Hudson
4-8-2 Mountain
4-8-4 Northern
2-10-4 Selkirk
One more addition
2-10-2 Santa Fe CNR and CP both had these, but I'd suggest having the CN model. They were arguably the most powerful loocmotives in the Brisith Empire when they were built.

Diesel:
CNR '9000' Boxcab
MLW RS3
GMD F7
MLW FA-2
GMD GP9
Budd RDC
FM/CLC H24-66 "Train Master"
MLW FPA4
MLW RS18
GMD SW1200RS
GMD GMD1
MLW C424
GMD GP38-2(or GP38-2W)
MLW M636
GMD SD40-2 (several different appearances/liveries)
Bombardier LRC Power Car
GMD F40PH-2
GMD SD75I
GE AC4400CW
GE P42

Additions:
GE C40-8M
Bombardier HR616
MLW M420W

Electrics:

Boxcab Locomotive Used for Freight & passenger trains
Interurban Coach/Trailer
Interurban Baggage MotorCan haul 1 or 2 freight/passenger cars
Steeplecab
CNR EMU
Montreal Commuter EMU
GMD GF6C

The Interurbans will go great in the early 20's if we can get buses and trucks from that era as well. The freight engines weren't fast, but they were powerful. I'd also suggest continuous power for the Interurban and EMU cars. Yes there were unpowered trailers, but for our purposes continuous power is better.

Most freight cars will be similar to those in the US set, and as we tend to see A LOT of US roads up here, random liveries will be fine.

Any other additions?
That list looks good to me. I can't think of any more to add.
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, I'm still toiling away with the US set, but after it and the Japanese steamers, I should be able to start on this one.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here's a bit of progress on what I'm planning for the Canadian set. The RSD17 is a one-of. It's similar to the ALCo RSD17 "Alligator" , also there is a Canadian Mikado, a CPR Jubilee and a "Royal Hudson"
Attachments
Canadian Locos Preview
Canadian Locos Preview
Canada1.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 11403 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The brown Canadian pant schemes will look really sharp in TTD.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Was playing around again, here are a couple more engines and a couple more "what-ifs" First photo is from the 1980's of a CNR Grain train in the prairies. The train is led by 2 unique GMD1 roadswitchers and a GP9. Passing by is VIA Rail's "Canadian" headed up by a Montreal Locomotive Works (ALCO)FPA4 and a pair of F7B's. Notice the "winterization hatches" on the B's. All of this stuff was drawn by me. I was tempted to repaint mnorman's F7, but decided against it.

If you think the CPR steamers look good, check out the diesels in Maroon & Grey ;)

Also note the VIA coaches. They've been drawn to 32 pixels long. The last car is a former CPR "Park" series dome-observation.

The second picture is from the late 50's/early 60's and shows a CPR freight train with 2 H24-66 Train Masters spliced by an F7B.
Attachments
CPR Freight Train
CPR Freight Train
CP1.gif (101.47 KiB) Viewed 11367 times
CNR grain train passes VIA Rail No. 1 =>The 'Canadian'
CNR grain train passes VIA Rail No. 1 =>The 'Canadian'
CANADIAN.png (187.93 KiB) Viewed 11366 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here's a comparison =>a prototype LRC compared to a TTD drawing. Enjoy :) Now all I need to do is learn how to code an nfo file... :D
Attachments
TTD LRC initial
TTD LRC initial
TTDLRC.png (914 Bytes) Viewed 11326 times
VIA LRC =>Prototype Image
VIA LRC =>Prototype Image
LRC.jpg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 11194 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Isn't the LRC a little... short? Vertically I mean?
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

It looks that way, yes, but look at this photo of an LRC loco coupled to normal-sized passenger cars. These things are very low to the ground, I believe 11' tall overall compared to about 15' for regular cars.
Attachments
VIA LRC showing difference in height
VIA LRC showing difference in height
LRC2.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 11326 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Whoa. Yeah, that is short. I still think it would want to be 2 pixels higher - one more on the side, one more on the roof.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

krtaylor wrote:Whoa. Yeah, that is short. I still think it would want to be 2 pixels higher - one more on the side, one more on the roof.
Well I drew them 2 pixels lower than regular passenger cars, so that would kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it? ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”