Tool: GRF Creator [developing]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Tool: GRF Creator [developing]

Post by orudge »

This is now the official topic for GRF Creator, a program to create GRF files.

At the moment, the way I plan for GRF Creator to work is as follows:

1. You create all the vehicle stats, import graphics, and so on, in GRF Creator

2. You can save your parameters to a data file (NOT a GRF file).

3. You can then export this to a GRF file.

Please be aware that it is not currently planned that this program will edit existing GRF files directly! This might be added in a future version.

Currently implemented actions

Action 0
- Properties and features read from an INI file
- Currently rewriting GRF writing routines for action 0 to deal with INI system

Action 8
- Complete (dialog box to add GRFID, description, copyright and required version)

Action A
- In progress
- Can import PCX, BMP, GIF, PNG, RLE files
- Can select a part of the file to use
- Graphics Editor (by Andrex) to position graphic, etc, for TTD
- Can write out to GRF

Action B
- Doing some experimentation with this

The next actions I'm going to attempt will probably be actions 1 and 4.

Attached are a couple of screenshots of how the program is just now. (Please excuse the various "Command1" type buttons spread about the place and the problems with the XP theming).
Attachments
Look familiar? Parts of Andrex's NFO Editor have been integrated into this program.
Look familiar? Parts of Andrex's NFO Editor have been integrated into this program.
grf_creator_4.png (33.39 KiB) Viewed 27573 times
Action A (modification of existing TTD sprites). PCX, PNG, GIF, BMP and RLE files can be read, and you have a little movable box to select which part of a large image you want to use.
Action A (modification of existing TTD sprites). PCX, PNG, GIF, BMP and RLE files can be read, and you have a little movable box to select which part of a large image you want to use.
grf_creator_3.png (23.2 KiB) Viewed 27582 times
Action 0 Trains
Action 0 Trains
grf_creator_2.png (17.9 KiB) Viewed 27593 times
The Action 0 editing section, for ships. All the properties are stored in an INI and controls are dynamically generated.
The Action 0 editing section, for ships. All the properties are stored in an INI and controls are dynamically generated.
grf_creator_1.png (17.13 KiB) Viewed 27592 times
Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

Sweet :D
That program will be exctremely usefull :!:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It'll look a lot better when it's done, obviously, but right now, I just want to get it working. :)
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

I will definitly be using this once its out.. great work owen =) very impressed
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Tool: GRF Creator [developing]

Post by George »

orudge wrote:This is now the official topic for GRF Creator, a program to create GRF files.
Attached are a couple of screenshots of how the program is just now. (Please excuse the various "Command1" type buttons spread about the place and the problems with the XP theming).
As I can see, it includes NFO editor. Would my suggestions for that program be implemented? Without zoom it's very hard to work with sprites. And now I also suggest to have 3 times and 5 times zoom to see the control line in the middle of the zoomed pixels
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Cheers Owen! This might finally give me the excuse to get an Australian Set underway :shock:. Just need some art talent next ;)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tool: GRF Creator [developing]

Post by orudge »

George wrote:Would my suggestions for that program be implemented? Without zoom it's very hard to work with sprites. And now I also suggest to have 3 times and 5 times zoom to see the control line in the middle of the zoomed pixels
I'll see what I can do. I agree that it can be a bit difficult to get everything lined up just the way you want it to be.
goalie
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by goalie »

looks great
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Looks great so far! It's coming along so well. Any idea of its ETA? We're going to badly need it soon, the US and Japan sets are I think maybe half done.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I'm not too sure when it'll be done - I'm in the middle of exams right now, which finish next week. I'll be busy this weekend reinstalling everything on my nice new 120GB HD too, but I'll see if I can get a bit of work done, and I'll release a version of the program sometime that can add new vehicles and specify parameters, etc, but it won't be able to do everything possible (don't expect callbacks and different liveries, etc, in the first version!).
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

A little OT, but good luck with exams :)). I will be excited to see this program released, no matter how *basic* you claim it to be (antyhing that makes grf files will be a big help!)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

For those who are interested, I'll see if I can do some more work on this sometime soon. I'm still awfully busy right now. :(
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Can't wait to have it working. Espc. since minime seems to have dropped off the Net, and he was coding the GRF files for the Japan set :(
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Owen, for the tabs control you must use a picture box for each tab and then show or hide the apropiate picture box according to the selected tab. Check the TTDXC code when you click the tab.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I am soooo going to use this in making random graphics. 8)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Andrex wrote:Owen, for the tabs control you must use a picture box for each tab and then show or hide the apropiate picture box according to the selected tab. Check the TTDXC code when you click the tab.
Yes, I know that, but for various reasons, I'm trying it another way (which is similar).
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

How is this going, Owen?
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Can this thing remove statues and fountains ?
Cause these things are holding me back from playing TTD more than 1 hour a day
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No, this is something totally else. It's a tool to turn sprites into working GRF files that can be included. Like the US set, the Japan set, the DB set, etc. You're talking about TTDAlter. Although, I have asked that the Patch be extended to let you change building attributes in the same was as you can vehicles, so then there could be a GRF file that replaced statues and fountains with, say, high-rise office buildings that actually did something useful. Which would be great.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This tool should enable you to turn the statues and fountains into something more sensible.

Return to “Graphics Development”