My first train ride (pictures too)

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

alphanumeric
Director
Director

My first train ride (pictures too)

Post by alphanumeric »

well.. after playing TTD so much latly I woke up and told my girlfriend lets take the train some place.. so here we went =)

first picture shows it aproaching the station.. first I thought OH god! where is the head engine?? this looks like a dumb subway train! :shock: but as soon as it stops I noticed it was pulling into the station backwards and the engine is at the rear of the cars :lol:

After I reach the station I get off at an Amtrak "surfliner" pulls up.. the Sufrliner runs from LA - San Diego somewhat near the coast. the 2nd Superliner on the Amtrak train was labled Business Class.

Here is a close up of the engine. Which I thought was an old F40 style diesel.. but once I got home I did some research and found that its an EMD F59PH.. with a flat nose.

Here is a picture of the Stations walkpath to get to the otherside, like what MB's new passenger stations will look like 8)

Here was a busy station in the "city of orange" that we passed by. Being my first time riding a train, I thought nobody rode in them... I was wrong :lol: the stations also have like a barkery and food courts.

Here is some old looking Santa Fe (yellow & blue) with a red caboose thats parked near my house used as yard switchers.. the paint looks brand spanking new!!

and here are just some pics of other trains passing by us.. now these model numbers of the engines are very simular , but very different looking. I dont get it
EMD F59PHI
EMD F59PH

this was so fun that I am planning a vacation that will take 1-2 days by train across the US someplace.. they had plugs at each seat for laptops.. I saw a few business men playing with theirs.. listing to music or something.

I will have to goto the station near my house... Apears their are 4 stations in my area I had no clue about!!!! but I will try to take some video with GOOD sound of how mean these diesels sound when taking off... I thought they were slow like freight, but they seemed to reach max speed under 1 min
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

:shock: trains!

I don't really see waths so facinating... Allthough i have never rid a train, it seems just run-of-the-mall...

I mean... Oh, forget, and happy trainride! :p
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Shut up Zetor, trains are cool...
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Zetor, if you've never ridden a train, you have no right to say they're boring. Go ride on one time and THEN you can complain.

I've been out to LA many times but I've never had a chance to ride those trains. I've been on the same double-decker cars though, MARC uses them between Baltimore and Washington DC. I've never been on an Amtrak Superliner although I had a sleeping-car compartment once on the Twilight Shoreliner between Boston and DC - it wasn't a double-deck Superliner, it was an extra-tall single deck something new.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Longest train journey ive been on is from Milton keynes (one hour from london) to Scotland, via london, took a good few hours,

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
CNrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CNrail »

i used to take the Via From Brandon Manitoba, to Calgary Alberta. Was a fun 11-15 hour trip depending on freight traffic. I'd ride coach, but would spend most of my time in the dinning, or observation car.
gasp
Chairman
Chairman

Post by gasp »

I had only one train ride in my life, and in a bad conditions train (as most of trains are in Brazil). Just an old train, not very interesting... But those in the US/Europe seem to be so cool :)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

I've been on the train so much! Not lately though...

Heck my mother travels a total of 9 hours a week with a train... :roll:
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

My longest train ride was from Delft to Groningen, and that was boring, from Utrecht onto Groningen: grassland, grassland, grassland, Zwolle, grassland, grassland, Meppel, grassland grassland grassland grassland Groningen. :roll: On top of that, the train we were in broke down for 45 minutes in the middle off... grasslands. :wink:

But for the most part, trains are cool.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Why don't you Americans use Electric trains? Much cleaner (if you use electricity generated by clean generators, that is)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Too long distances and too few trains to be economical, I think, GoneWacko.
As we all know, it costs a lot more money to electrify lines and the US is such a vast country that they simply do not use most tracks enough to make it worthwhile installing electrification. In some parts of the NE, I believe that there are electric trains, but most tracks are not because of the unworthwhile expense, I believe.
RaptorTycoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RaptorTycoon »

Longest train trip i have taken was from Rotterdam to Schiphol(airport), thats about it. and its not more then 60km..

And as Arathorn wrote, it was very boring.. just grassland.. farms.. yuk
Call me.. Raptor ;)
CNrail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CNrail »

I took some pictures of the train station we have in town a while back and thought i would post them here. This station was built in 1915 by the CNR (Canadian Northern Railroad) which was the first railroad in Canada founded in 1836. The CNR merged with other railroads in 1919 to form CN (Canadian National) It's a very interesting station almost castle like in appearance. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, i have a very cheap pencam atm, but it works :)
Attachments
station 017.png
station 017.png (174.84 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
station 010.png
station 010.png (247.65 KiB) Viewed 5773 times
station 008.png
station 008.png (233.93 KiB) Viewed 5772 times
AAK
Chairman
Chairman

Post by AAK »

The first train ride I can remember was on one of those orange trains in India when I was really small and I don't really remember much of that. After that all I remember was riding the subway in Toronto and New York and there really isn't any enjoyment there except when going overground for a while because every once in a while the train has to stop and if you look out the window you just see the tunnel wall.
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

I was a commuter for 10 years, so I had some time on trains...The longest train journey? Hm, maybe Budapest-Kőszeg (capital of Hungary - western border of Hungary) or Budapest-Sopron (I donno which is the longer one).
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

The longest Ive been on is...

http://www.penmorfa.com/Wrexham/

a whole site on it!

Wow!
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

My longest is yet to come. Swansea -> Cardiff Central -> Birmingham New Street -> Redditch. A whopping 4 hours each way (mostly due to the Redditch trains leaving Birmingham just before the train from Cardiff arrives - good old private timetables ...)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm my longest train trip was from Amsterdam to Paris... With the thalys..

I _might_ have some pics... should I scan 'em? :)

HMm nah we hardly have any pics, I just checked.. :( ah well

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”