ID Limit - Question

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

krtayler, electrified is not an internal track system of TTD. It is made by splitting the regular rail system into two and joining monorail and maglev together. However, at the same time, to provide compatibility with people who turn it off, you need to provide cars for both monorail and maglev.

At the NFO level, electrified doesn't exist other than saying "this engine should be powered electrically".
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I don't plan on supporting people with unified maglev turned off. The DBset doesn't, does it? The documentation for the US set and Japan set will clearly say that unified maglev is required, just like it requires the alpha patch. If you don't want to play that way then you can't use the set.

I don't think the US set is going to have monorail OR maglev actually, I think there will only be just two kinds of track because that's all there really is here. Possibly I'll add one maglev like the ones they are talking about building but I haven't decided. I'm not the biggest fan of maglev anyway.

The Japan set will have three types but I'm not sure what they will be. One thought is to put the Shinkansens on the third type, as in reality they have dedicated tracks. The other thought is to put Japanese monorails and maglevs on the third set. No decision has been made on this yet. But in any case, the way the third set would work (can't intersect with any of the others) would be unchanged from unifiedmaglev we are familiar with.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

krtaylor wrote:Well, I don't plan on supporting people with unified maglev turned off. The DBset doesn't, does it?
It doesn't. It encourages electrifiedrailways and unimaglev 1, but it works fine with any other combination.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Huh. What happens when you do it any other way? It doesn't have any monorails in it, and I doubt there's one "hiding."

I would think that if someone tried to use the Japan set without unifiedmaglev and electricrails, you'd wind up with normal trains on normal tracks, electric trains on monorail tracks and whatever else there was on the maglev tracks. Not so good, but functional, I guess. Without traincars, admittedly one of them would be traincar-less, I'm not sure which. I guess I don't really think it necessary to reduce the comprehensiveness of the set to cater to a small minority who don't wish to play with the set the way it is designed. If somebody is really sweating about it they can ask to make a special GRF file that works for them, I wouldn't think anyone would mind as long as credit was given where the sprites came from.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

I would guess that the DB set just has either no monorails or no maglevs (probably no monorails) if you turn electrified railways off.
From what I know about the Japan set, if you turned electrifiedrailways and unifiedmaglev off you'd get normal and electrified trains on railway tracks and whatever else you chose probably on maglev tracks. Monorail probably wouldn't appear because there wouldn't be any locomotives for it.
Again, which trains are electric and which are not is determined by a special property for trains that says whether they are steam, diesel, elecrtic, monorail or maglev. You do not set electrified trains as the second track type.
Quotes from newgrf.txt (Action 0):
Property 05: track type (0=railroad, 1=monorail, 2=maglev)
This is set to 0 for an electric train.
Property 19: Engine traction type (steam/diesel/electric/monorail/maglev) Also sets sound effect, and visual effect if prop. 22 not set
00..07=steam, 08..27=diesel, 28..31=electric, 32..37=monorail, 38..41=maglev; default if unset is steam
This is set to 28, 29, 30 or 31 for an electric train.
Therefore electric trains do not work as "monorails"; they are trains altered by some clever patching.

However, I still think that the Japan set will/would work satisfactorily without electrified railways turned on: you'd just lose a track type.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think I will just ignore this issue, and if anybody complains about it, we can ask them what they did and what happened, thus saving ourselves significant research time. By then the new GRF-compiler should be done and it will be much easier to make adjustments.

Return to “Graphics Development”