Game Faces

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Gnu
Engineer
Engineer

Game Faces

Post by Gnu »

What about the face in the company window? Is it possible to get real faces (mine, for example :D) from digital photos into the game?

There was this anime faces topic once, any major breakthroughs in this sector?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It is sort of, if you edit the TTD graphics in such a way to make all but one of the face parts transparent, and the other one can have your face. Remember though that the TTD palette is very limited, so you probably wouldn't look very good. ;)
Gnu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gnu »

Fine! I'm really interested in this, and actually have some time to spare at the moment.

As there are several "graphics tutorial" topics around, could you point me to a good introduction into this graphics business, a "fast lane to custom faces"?

Re: palette, don't worry - true beauty is not easily spoiled.. :)
Gnu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gnu »

orudge wrote:It is sort of, if you edit the TTD graphics in such a way to make all but one of the face parts transparent
Ok, done - owing to Josef's great GRFCodec. Thanks!

I got a trg1r.grf without faces (sprites 805-873, 875-989 all blue) now.. pasting the new one into the frame (sprite 874) might be trickier, as you said.

We'll see..

Included is a GRFdiff executable for this first step (Windows), in case anybody is interested in this.
Attachments
blankframew.zip
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Gnu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gnu »

Ok, the head's in. (No download! 8))

But now I got "twinkling pimples". Some parts of the face change color in step with the water. De-selecting "Full animation" stops the twinkling, but the artefacts remain.

Ideas? Are there any taboo colors?
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Have a look at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=6002 for some palette information.
Gnu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gnu »

Fixed it. Thank you, Oracle.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

the faces

Post by Sanchimaru »

Hi everybody!

Really, the faces in the game are all horrible...
Isn't there a way that you could at least choose part from part? (eyes, nose, chin, hair...)
I mean customize your own face, better than never-end click until you get a face that doesn't look idiot, or psychopathic, or stomach-ill, or the class' nerd...

Special mention for women's faces... they're so ugly it's worth suffering a heart attack from seeing them!!

Besides making new graphics for the faces, it would be interesting that the patchmen over there found a way to improve the face change menu...
If anybody is disposed to collaborate with this, I can help out with graphics (Right now I'm working on the Japan Project, I drew some trains)

Return to “Graphics Development”