Suggestion: Complete replacement set for goods carriages

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Suggestion: Complete replacement set for goods carriages

Post by jfs »

It's great seeing all the new train engines and passenger/mail carriages, and alternative goods carriages, but one thing I'm missing would be replacement graphics for the original goods carriages. (Goods meaning anything not passengers/mail.)
The original ones simply look old or don't fit too well with the new graphics, IMO.

It anyone working on this already? Or does anyone want to take up the project? I'm not too much of an artist myself, and nfo files for grfcodec scare me. :)
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

I understand what your saying and totally agree with you, i may have a bash at this, but im not garunteeing anything.

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

MB's Cargoset has a number of replacements for the goods carriages.
The new version DBset will also.
The BRset will probably have new carriages, similar to the new DBset ones, and likewise the NSset.
The American set already has plans to replace the goods carriages with American standard boxcars, although I think it will still be enough compatible with the Cargoset to use some of those (automobile carriers, etc.)
Would you like to draw some replacements? That would be great, and they could be integrated into other sets as appropriate.
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

I think he means like all the Oil tankers, Grain hopper etc

Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

The Oil Tankers should be replaced no matter what. They look horrible in their original state.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yeah, they've gotta go. Actually, MB drew some oil tankers to carry goods (petroleum products from the refinery) which looked really great. mp3pro modified them to replace the oil tankers and water tanker, until MB got angry at not being credited. One way or another, the US set will have new oil tankers, though I'm not sure what they will look like yet.
Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

Good to hear :-)
MBs oil tankers look really sweet, they should replace the oil tankers no matter what (With MBs permission, ofcourse.)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I asked him for permission to use a couple of his locomotives, but I forgot to ask about the oil tankers. If he comes back nicely maybe I'll ask about the tankers too. At least we could base off of them, maybe make differing numbers of domes, add stains, who knows what.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

The new DB Set replaces ALL the original TT wagons. Michael has comepletly re-written the scheme for new freight wagons (so there are generations of freight wagons rather than one wagon from 1921 to 2999).

Check out his web-site for more info on the new set :)).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

Thanks for the heads up but I already know of MBs new set. Who doesn't? :P
Anyway... As pointed out by krtaylor in the US train set topic, not all of MBs wagons fit with other train sets nor is it guarantied that you can use his new wagons in other sets.
That I belive, is the reason that this topic was started in the first place, to make some "Universal" new wagons.
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Raichase wrote:The new DB Set replaces ALL the original TT wagons. Michael has comepletly re-written the scheme for new freight wagons (so there are generations of freight wagons rather than one wagon from 1921 to 2999).

Check out his web-site for more info on the new set :)).
Great news this, means i dont need to worry about having a go so much, i still might though

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Ah nice that MB is doing that :)
I don't usually check his site, because IMO it's a bit hard to find out exactly when it's changed and what's changed.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

We also need to all be aware that the new sets from MB, including both the DBset and the Alpine set, will conform to a new location standard for trains.

If you look at a train going horizontally (across the screen from side to side, diagonally in relation to the game squares) you'll see that it is not in good alignment in relation to the track. The bottom of the train is below the nearer rail - in effect, it's bumping along the ties. The trains should really be two pixels higher in this view.

Josef looked into making a global change in the game to just automatically move everything up by the two pixels. This may take place, in which case nobody needs to take any action. If not, then all the graphics will have to be up two pixels in the sprite, as MB plans to do, and we plan also to do in the US set and Japan set. Stay tuned to hear what the final resolution is; if sprites have to be changed, all the new sets in process need to be changed as well, otherwise there will be two competing standards which will be chaos.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

krtaylor wrote:Josef looked into making a global change in the game to just automatically move everything up by the two pixels. This may take place, in which case nobody needs to take any action. If not, then all the graphics will have to be up two pixels in the sprite, as MB plans to do, and we plan also to do in the US set and Japan set. Stay tuned to hear what the final resolution is; if sprites have to be changed, all the new sets in process need to be changed as well, otherwise there will be two competing standards which will be chaos.
Actually, it isn't only that position on the rails that causes problems. One of the reasons MB is making the new wagons (apart from the coolness factor :))) is to align the wagons properly on the rails going in all directions. Have a close look at some of the older freight wagons and how they run on the rails...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Actually it's worse than that, some of the old traincars (like, the goods van) don't have wheels at all. They are just a box that slides along the ground somehow. Maybe this was intentional, so he could recycle the same graphics for monorail and maglev, but we don't worry about that anymore.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

krtaylor wrote:Actually it's worse than that, some of the old traincars (like, the goods van) don't have wheels at all. They are just a box that slides along the ground somehow. Maybe this was intentional, so he could recycle the same graphics for monorail and maglev, but we don't worry about that anymore.
Yeah, thats why I was so eager to see the passenger coaches w/out wheels go and get replaced. I HATE them! :(
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

All the new sets have had custom coaches - matching liveries, yes, but also a better "generic". Between the cargoset and custom vehicles, mostly the old graphics are passing away. The USset will have some custom freightcars to conform to US appearance, and hopefully be compatible with at least some of the Cargoset.

Return to “Graphics Development”