grahpics edit questions..

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

alphanumeric
Director
Director

grahpics edit questions..

Post by alphanumeric »

well I have figured out how to convert my GRF files into Editable PCX files.. I am using PS pro 8 to edit the files.. I also have I Mage..

my question is.. do you guys fill in each pixel at a time with a color? is what I mean is.. while I am looking at say a RED engine.. its not just completly red.. its got 10 different reds from dark red to light red.. if I wanted to change the color to GREEN.. is their a tool that makes that ezer? or do I gotta do it manually by just filling in each pixel at a time with different colors?
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I do it one by one, but thats becouse I want full controle :P, I believe there is a tool in psp that let you change colours so maybe you can use that. But there arent that many pixels in one train, so it shouldnt be to hard doing it by hand :twisted:
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

oh ok.. I was just wondering.. I didnt want to try to attemp doing each pixel 1 step at a time if it wasnt possible! lol.. or else id be sitting here all weekend.. ( im not a smart one )

so.. man.. this is going to be hard.. im not very artistic, but im still going to try.. It seems VERY hard figuring out the shade in teh colors..

right now my projects are just editing colors of some existing engines.. (DDXA40 or whatever it is from YELLOW TO another color, maybe red)

do you got any other tips u can throw me?
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

One other Tip. Remember TTDs odd palatte (for example, dark blues come out as player colours, while to get black, you use pink, and to get light greys you use browns) there is a link to a list of these odd colours somewhere in the tutorial thread.

Mark
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

oh cool.. ya I was wondering why the picutre I was looking at was dis-colored.. I figured 1 of them was due to company color..

as of now.. iv been starring at this picture for 1 hour trying to edit the colors indavidually by each pixel.. I think I need someone in real life to show me
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

the trouble is you just need to try, you will learn eventualy how you can make a train wich hads propper shading. with the overpainting of an existing engine you can ofcourse use the samse shading, only with diferend colours.
Chris alredy posted somewhere a table with the player colours and how they look with the diferend company colours.
I have a list on my site with the action colours (eg wich colours blink, or do something else) the page is http://home.tiscali.nl/broodje/colour_codes.txt But like I said before thje only way to learn is to do it often and look how the DB set was done for example
mauro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mauro »

what helps for me is drawing the train in "shaded planes" and adding texture to it in a next step. Here's a small example
Attachments
shaded planes.png
shaded planes.png (1.16 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

AH good idea in the last post..thanks.. I will go try that

Return to “Graphics Development”