How about a "moon" climate ?

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

How about a "moon" climate ?

Post by Stylesjl »

A new "moon" climate

When the 22nd century comes you should be able to switch between two "maps"

Whatever climate and the moon

On the moon you could transport passengers to other conolys or passengers from earth to moon or vice versa

You could transport minerals from mines to factorys and water to colonies

You could get shuttles and moon trains :lol:

What do you think?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

What did you eat :wink: ? I don't think this makes sense, you should have a missile launch site to get your company to the moon first. And I'm afraid you need awful good brakes...
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Hyronymus wrote:And I'm afraid you need awful good brakes...
I don't think so, the weight is lowered but the friction stays the same, meaning brakes will improve.

I like the suggestion :)
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

WRONG!
The weight is reduced to about 1/6 yes - but weight is not used in calculating acc'n - mass is. This will stay the same.
The friction is where the weight comes in -
Friction = (coefficient of friction) x (Normal reaction)
When travelling on flat ground, (Normal Reaction) = Weight.
Therefore friction is reduced to 1/6 while mass stays the same, so they'll take 6 times as long to stop.
ChaosDeathFish
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ChaosDeathFish »

Not if you use maglevs! Then you're just braking using magnetic fields parallel to the direction of travel. Voila, weight is not important. And mass stays the same, so acceleration and decelleration happen at the same speeds - but a lot less energy is needed to keep the maglev floating. I'm basing all this on the TransRapid system, of course :)
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Well MagLevs are a totally different system - you can just increase the power of the brakes to slow it down faster. On conventional rails increasing the effectiveness of the brakes would just lead to a skid.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

If there is seriously work done on the moon climate (painting images etc) I'd be interested to integrate this into Simutrans, too.

Said the other way round: If you want to create a moon climate, and Simutrans is ok for you, just contact me. I'm very interested in new climates for Simutrans. But our manpower is too small, we need more help to create additional climates.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

I think the 'dual' approach (transporting passengers/goods from earth to moon) is not really something you would definitely want to see in a transport game. I'd rather put work in some other features already requested (even though this is looking quite far into the future).

A moon climate on itself (even with it's own type of vehicles) will be possible within the current ideas. But as hyronymus said, a link between two maps would require a launch facility, and internally it would require something to register 'where' a train is for example, and adjust it's behaviour to that.
I say it's too much and would require too many changes.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm I actually supplied that same idea for TE... Space exploration with the ability to switch between maps.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Joris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Joris »

You can say a lot about it but I like it!
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

TBOT -> I was thinking how about just make it so when you get to 2100 or whenever, "unlock" the hidden moon climate which you can get to by starting a new game.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Stylesjl »

You could have a shuttle be "lanuched" and dissappear and than reappear on the moon where it would load/unload than take off and so on

Prahaps you can scroll through the abyss to go to the moon :lol:
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

The problem with launching is the isometric viewpoint. The rocket or whatever wouldn't appear to get smaller as it went up, and if it just dissapeard in the air it would look strange.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm... To be honest, I was planning on giving Moon landscape a go once I am finished with the TTOD project... Maybe even with new trains... Not sure... Planning it a lot... It would mean having a new track type to play with though... Monorail, Mag-Lev + something else I guess... Even faster/slower... :roll:

Trees would have to be replaced by rocks... but Rocks don't grow ^^ So I should just remove them...

/me jots it all down... :)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

Simple enough. On the moon there is no atmosphere, and so craters would be able to appear and them fill with dust.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

you should be able to get loads and loads of money for Inter-planetary transport (just a spaceship taking off vertically and leaving screen, then clicking the 'earth button' and watch it land on reeaaaly long runway
Stylesjl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Stylesjl »

BobXP wrote:The problem with launching is the isometric viewpoint. The rocket or whatever wouldn't appear to get smaller as it went up, and if it just dissapeard in the air it would look strange.

You could have a shuttle rising... rising..... dissapear

Switch to moon veiw appear.... lowering...lowering.......landing

Kind of like planes in TTD

So it wouldn't look strange (unless TTD planes are)
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

That's a good idea! I was wondering on this 5-6 years ago...If this is unlimited, then, why not?! It could be done! And, you could have new industries, such as oxygen generator &c. And then trees could grow. Maybe some terra- (or rather luna-)forming units? But it sounds very Alpha Centauri-like...But it'd be different since you have to transport goods and passengers. Maybe there could be a new disaster: meteor hit!
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

I had previously not really like this idea - but then I realised that this would effectively give you a whole new map to play on towards the end of the game when you've connected up all of the industries and towns on the map and you're just optimising the network and upgrading trains.
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

Endre wrote:That's a good idea! I was wondering on this 5-6 years ago...If this is unlimited, then, why not?! It could be done! And, you could have new industries, such as oxygen generator &c. And then trees could grow. Maybe some terra- (or rather luna-)forming units? But it sounds very Alpha Centauri-like...But it'd be different since you have to transport goods and passengers. Maybe there could be a new disaster: meteor hit!
And where on the Moon does oxygen come from? It can't. You need to either grab it from Earth, or from stars, or manufacture it using nuclear reactors. The first would make Earth's atmosphere thinner, the second is very risky, and the third could create radiation and wipe out half the pl- er, moon. Think people think! REALISM!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!:
<!-- End Of Post !-->

Return to “Transport Unlimited”