JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by michael blunck »

Thanks for the quick fix in 0.59.1. Works fine now.

Would it be possible to get rid of those confusing empty lines in the train menu for articulated vehicles carrying more than one type of cargo when displaying only vehicle info rather than cargo info?

regards
Michael
Attachments
leere_zeilen.png
leere_zeilen.png (79.81 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote: 29 May 2024 11:44 This can be reproduced in any version of OpenTTD. In general using a second train to clobber the reservation of another train like this is something that should be avoided.
I assure you, I don't kill passengers on purpose or because I enjoy it, that's what I do Rollercoaster Tycoon! :wink: Sometimes the easiest (or only) way to unjam a totally jammed area is a sacrifice. I'm sure the families understand.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

I wonder if in conditional order based on dispatch slot, in addition to "Last" and "Next", could the "Slot this vehicle was dispatched with" be an option, too? This probably require the vehicle to keep track of which slot it was dispatched with, not sure how hard it would be to actually implement.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

ino wrote: 01 Jul 2024 10:40 I wonder if in conditional order based on dispatch slot, in addition to "Last" and "Next", could the "Slot this vehicle was dispatched with" be an option, too? This probably require the vehicle to keep track of which slot it was dispatched with, not sure how hard it would be to actually implement.
That is my current plan, however I've not had time to actually implement this, due to the added UI complexity, data structures required, etc
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
AdmiralEllis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdmiralEllis »

My computer keeps insisting the download/executable is a virus. Not sure why.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

AdmiralEllis wrote: 05 Jul 2024 23:13 My computer keeps insisting the download/executable is a virus. Not sure why.
If you are using the version on github, it will be safe. Sometimes anti-virus (or browser) get excited over executable (.exe) files that they don't see often.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an edge-case WAI, but when I have trains transferring and loading cargo, they will sometimes {but not always} keep a car or two of the previous cargo. In an of itself, that would not be a problem, but when the delivery orders include unloading, the extra bits of cargo gradually accumulate. I could hypothetically be more specific with the unload orders, but that adds an extra layer of necessary micromanagement.
Attachments
T2005.sav
(4.25 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Screenshot 2024-07-15 213453.png
Screenshot 2024-07-15 213453.png (195.3 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Screenshot 2024-07-15 213517.png
Screenshot 2024-07-15 213517.png (140.27 KiB) Viewed 513 times
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

V59.1

I've had a couple of instances where the screen goes black and essentially disables the computer. The game is still running in the background but I can't see it and ctrl/alt/del has no effect...maybe because the screen seems to be disabled. A hard reset is the only way out. The screen is still 'active' (unlike the situation where the computer gets into screensave mode).
I did subsequently see an inconsistencies file which might be associated with the problem. It's very rare though.

I've downloaded v60.2 to try in the meantime.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Quinch wrote: 16 Jul 2024 03:42 I'm not sure if this is a bug or an edge-case WAI, but when I have trains transferring and loading cargo, they will sometimes {but not always} keep a car or two of the previous cargo. In an of itself, that would not be a problem, but when the delivery orders include unloading, the extra bits of cargo gradually accumulate. I could hypothetically be more specific with the unload orders, but that adds an extra layer of necessary micromanagement.
This is quite an unusual order mechanism and track layout.
You've got a large number of trains accumulated in the depots at the ends of the platforms. The only trains which seem to have this issue were already in the depots, so may have been hanging around for a long time.
It doesn't appear to occur for trains newly arriving at the station.
3iff wrote: 16 Jul 2024 09:00 V59.1

I've had a couple of instances where the screen goes black and essentially disables the computer. The game is still running in the background but I can't see it and ctrl/alt/del has no effect...maybe because the screen seems to be disabled. A hard reset is the only way out. The screen is still 'active' (unlike the situation where the computer gets into screensave mode).
I did subsequently see an inconsistencies file which might be associated with the problem. It's very rare though.

I've downloaded v60.2 to try in the meantime.
This seems more like a problem with your monitor, graphics card, computer in general, etc?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

JGR wrote: 16 Jul 2024 18:31 This is quite an unusual order mechanism and track layout.
I choose to take that as a compliment! But am also open to more efficient alternatives.
You've got a large number of trains accumulated in the depots at the ends of the platforms. The only trains which seem to have this issue were already in the depots, so may have been hanging around for a long time.
It doesn't appear to occur for trains newly arriving at the station.
Well, each departing train first makes a stop at a depot to reset their reliability, and I've had cases where the number of incoming trains leads to backlogs in the exit depots, but how would that relate to cargotype not being fully unloaded at the station prior to departure?
Last edited by Quinch on 16 Jul 2024 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Quinch wrote: 16 Jul 2024 18:56 Well, each departing train first makes a stop at a depot to reset their reliability, and I've had cases where the number of incoming trains leads to backlogs in the exit depots, but how would that relate to cargo not being fully unloaded at the station prior to departure?
The problem only seems to be present on trains which are currently sat in the depot, not on those which arrive at the station afterwards.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

JGR wrote: 16 Jul 2024 19:02 The problem only seems to be present on trains which are currently sat in the depot, not on those which arrive at the station afterwards.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly - the trains still keep the fragments of incorrect cargo after they leave the depot.

From what I can tell, this happens;
1} Train loads available cargo A.
2} After loading cargo A, train load is less than 100%, so the train transfers/unloads all cargo {i.e. cargo A} while simultaneously loading cargo B.
3} Most, but not all of cargo A gets unloaded while cargo B fills up the rest of the train .
4} Since the train is now at 100% capacity, the train departs with around 10% cargo A and 90% cargo B.

Edit: Is it possible that the client goes to the next order as soon as the train is full without checking whether the unload order has completed? Especially since there's a cargo refit happening during the load process - it might help explain why there's only a little bit of old cargo.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-07-16 131908.png
(183.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Quinch wrote: 16 Jul 2024 19:40
JGR wrote: 16 Jul 2024 19:02 The problem only seems to be present on trains which are currently sat in the depot, not on those which arrive at the station afterwards.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly - the trains still keep the fragments of incorrect cargo after they leave the depot.

From what I can tell, this happens;
1} Train loads available cargo A.
2} After loading cargo A, train load is less than 100%, so the train transfers/unloads all cargo {i.e. cargo A} while simultaneously loading cargo B.
3} Most, but not all of cargo A gets unloaded while cargo B fills up the rest of the train .
4} Since the train is now at 100% capacity, the train departs with around 10% cargo A and 90% cargo B.

Edit: Is it possible that the client goes to the next order as soon as the train is full without checking whether the unload order has completed? Especially since there's a cargo refit happening during the load process - it might help explain why there's only a little bit of old cargo.
I see what you are talking about now, I was looking at the wrong station.

This may be a side-effect of each wagon actually being 3 vehicles because of the way that Timberwolf did his curvature stuff.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Gotcha - should I contact him about that, or is there no way around it?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Quinch wrote: 17 Jul 2024 00:21 Gotcha - should I contact him about that, or is there no way around it?
No, it's not a bug in the GRF. I should be able to add a mitigation for this.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Thanks, I appreciate it!

And... just to add to the maybe-bug train - I've noticed that trying to sort station cargo by the amount waiting doesn't seem to work. Unless I'm misinterpreting the option.
Attachments
OpenTTD jgrpp-0.60.2 2024-07-16 18-30-31.mp4
(3.51 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Quinch wrote: 17 Jul 2024 00:33 Thanks, I appreciate it!

And... just to add to the maybe-bug train - I've noticed that trying to sort station cargo by the amount waiting doesn't seem to work. Unless I'm misinterpreting the option.
It sorts the destination/next hop for each cargo, not cargo totals.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Ohhh, okay. Thanks for clarifying!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

JGR wrote: 17 Jul 2024 00:27
Quinch wrote: 17 Jul 2024 00:21 Gotcha - should I contact him about that, or is there no way around it?
No, it's not a bug in the GRF. I should be able to add a mitigation for this.
I've added a change which should resolve this, it'll be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Thanks!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”