Creating a little online heightmap editor

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

reinier
Engineer
Engineer

Creating a little online heightmap editor

Post by reinier »

Hi all,

First post, so apologies if this isn't quite the right board. I didn't find anything for TTD-related tools :)

Once every few months, when nostalgia strikes, I boot up OpenTTD for a few hours. I always find it hard to find a fun little scenario or heightmap to play in. You guys love enormous, realistic locales, and I'm looking for a fun 256x128 to play in for a few hours! The built-in heightmap editor is not very forgiving though. No undo/redo, and no other tools than the rectangle tool. So I replicated the basics of the heightmap editor and added some improvements.

https://hmtd.netlify.app/ -- Not suitable for mobile.

* Generates basic terrain with a certain minimum ocean coverage percentage
* Undo/redo!
* A resizable brush tool in addition to the default rectangle tool
* (Loading and generating very large maps can be a bit slow)

Let me know if you like it, what you'd love to see, and maybe I'll expand it! More tools, more loading/saving options, maybe integration with online content (BaNaNaS, with permission), or more easily loading real-world heightmaps.

Reinier

Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Creating a little online heightmap editor

Post by Fairyfloss »

Took a look at this for a moment, and I gotta say... It looks fantastic so far! Definitely going to properly play around with it soon, but it's already very promising, great work!
zyliety
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Creating a little online heightmap editor

Post by zyliety »

It looks cool! :D

Attachments
2024-04-14 212718.png
(733.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “General OpenTTD”