Problem with OpenTTD on RasPi

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ramiroflores
Engineer
Engineer

Problem with OpenTTD on RasPi

Post by ramiroflores »

Transport Tycoon is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm amazed how good OpenTTD is. It almost works smoothly enough on the Pi (I'm assuming its not accelerated), so just wondering if anyone has any tips to get it working faster?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Problem with OpenTTD on RasPi

Post by jfs »

Things you can look into:

Make sure you're playing an optimized build
The game should be compiled with optimizations enabled, and assert checks disabled.
This is mostly an issue if you compiled the game yourself from source, but can also be an issue if you got a pre-release (nightly, beta, or RC version) from a package manager.

Play on smaller maps
Big maps are much heavier on the CPU, there's just no way around that. Especially as you go above 1024x1024, but even that can be demanding.

Play with a lower screen resolution/window size
If the output window is large, more CPU time is required for rendering. This is somewhat improved if you can use an OpenGL accelerated video output in the game.

Limit what NewGRFs you use
Some NewGRFs are very CPU heavy.

Take a look at the Framerate window available from the :?: menu in the game. Take note whether any of the figures are turning yellow or red. That can help point to what limits your game speed.
kkidslogin
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Problem with OpenTTD on RasPi

Post by kkidslogin »

Even a Raspberry Pi 4 will struggle with OpenTTD if pushed too hard. Especially notable is the fact that most RPis have very little RAM, which is likely the culprit. Don't load a lot of Game Scripts, NewGRFs, or AIs, and play on small maps.
Certified forum helper ©. Also active in the Scratch forums, where I have over 2300 posts as of the last count.

Played OpenTTD since 1.4.4 8)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”