Emojis

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

wonkotsane
Engineer
Engineer

Emojis

Post by wonkotsane »

I'm sure this will have been discussed before but I can't find one - emojis in the game and could they be implemented?

I understand that OpenTTD uses a custom font and implementing emojis in it would take some effort but I'd like to be able to use them. I use waypoints to direct trains where a station is used for loading and unloading or for loading more than one type of goods. You don't get that many characters to play with so emojis would be helpful to cut down on words.
I'm not the Messiah, I'm a very naughty boy.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Emojis

Post by skc »

You can change the fonts used, by changing the settings in the config file.
That'll get you access to a font which contains a larger portion of the Unicode character set, but how they will display in-game is an unknown to me.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Since emojis are a unicode standard, and the game uses unicode, the only thing stopping emojis is the font used, which you can configure manually.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I'm not sure if the text rendering code in OpenTTD will support emoji glyphs with color, so you might get only monochrome outline versions.
kkidslogin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kkidslogin »

jfs wrote: 25 Mar 2024 06:38 I'm not sure if the text rendering code in OpenTTD will support emoji glyphs with color, so you might get only monochrome outline versions.
I think monochrome outlines would look nicer anyways. The problem would be if they try to convert color/image emojis to outline, that might look horrid.

The other issue, though, is I don't think you can copy-paste emojis into the text bar. You'd need it on your keyboard.

EDIT: I ran a quick test with 13.4, and OpenTTD can't render this. It just shows question marks. It might work with the new OpenTTD TTF fonts, or with a system font, but not the default.
Certified forum helper ©. Also active in the Scratch forums, where I have over 2300 posts as of the last count.

Played OpenTTD since 1.4.4 8)

Return to “General OpenTTD”