Changing autosave map

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

wimpiedimpie
Engineer
Engineer

Changing autosave map

Post by wimpiedimpie »

Hello,
For some reason, OpenTTD set my autosave map in OneDrive (yeah...), see attachment (that map is being used by OpenTTD).
How do I change that in such way that I don't f*** up my OpenTTD?
I have 13.4 and 14.0 beta

Greetings,
wimpiedimpie
Attachments
ottdautosaveproblem.png
ottdautosaveproblem.png (195.42 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Auge
Director
Director

Re: Changing autosave map

Post by Auge »

Hello
wimpiedimpie wrote: 07 Mar 2024 08:18 Hello,
For some reason, OpenTTD set my autosave map in OneDrive (yeah...), see attachment (that map is being used by OpenTTD).
How do I change that in such way that I don't f*** up my OpenTTD?
I have 13.4 and 14.0 beta
Do you possibly synchronise your personal documents to your OneDrive account?

Tschö, Auge
wimpiedimpie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wimpiedimpie »

Auge wrote: 07 Mar 2024 08:28
Do you possibly synchronise your personal documents to your OneDrive account?

Tschö, Auge
No, my newGRF's and graphics sets and soundtracks are just directly downloading in my OneDrive map.
My primary game files are in ProgramFiles
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
wimpiedimpie wrote: 07 Mar 2024 08:44
Auge wrote: 07 Mar 2024 08:28 Do you possibly synchronise your personal documents to your OneDrive account?
No, my newGRF's and graphics sets and soundtracks are just directly downloading in my OneDrive map.
My primary game files are in ProgramFiles
To me it looks like it does. If and when you are synchronising the directory Documents of your windows account to OneDrive, the directory for the contents of OpenTTD, which is inself a child of the directory Documents of your account, is part of the synchonisation. As far as i know, OpenTTD looks at the program start for a directory with a config file for OpenTTD. This file is present in your local user directory but would also be present in the snychronisation (if one exists). If OpenTTD would find the latter first, it would use its directory.

If you do not synchronise the documents to OneDrive, my reasoning is invalid.

Tschö, Auge
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Remember that Windows 11 is very aggressive about making you put your Documents folder on OneDrive, and even if you didn't intend to it might have tricked you into doing it anyway.
wimpiedimpie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wimpiedimpie »

Auge wrote: 07 Mar 2024 10:28
To me it looks like it does. If and when you are synchronising the directory Documents of your windows account to OneDrive, the directory for the contents of OpenTTD, which is inself a child of the directory Documents of your account, is part of the synchonisation. As far as i know, OpenTTD looks at the program start for a directory with a config file for OpenTTD. This file is present in your local user directory but would also be present in the snychronisation (if one exists). If OpenTTD would find the latter first, it would use its directory.

If you do not synchronise the documents to OneDrive, my reasoning is invalid.

Tschö, Auge
Well, could be. But how do I change it without f*** it up?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, either you exclude your Documents folder from synchronizing to onedrive, or you change the personal directory location.

easiest way to do the second would be to add the "-c <location>" switch to the start options of the game, and point it to a different location of the openttd.cfg file. all other paths (newgrfs, savegames, etc.) will be relative to that path.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

wimpiedimpie wrote: 07 Mar 2024 13:03
Auge wrote: 07 Mar 2024 10:28 To me it looks like it does. If and when you are synchronising the directory Documents of your windows account to OneDrive, the directory for the contents of OpenTTD, which is inself a child of the directory Documents of your account, is part of the synchonisation. As far as i know, OpenTTD looks at the program start for a directory with a config file for OpenTTD. This file is present in your local user directory but would also be present in the snychronisation (if one exists). If OpenTTD would find the latter first, it would use its directory.
Well, could be. But how do I change it without f*** it up?
Simplest would be to open the settings of OneDrive and to deactivate the synchronisation of the Documents folder (there is a group of settings to synchronise the desktop, the images folder and the documents folder). I can only show it in german language.
Onedrive-Synchronisation.png
Onedrive-Synchronisation.png (32.57 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
But you have to be aware, that, if you disable the synchronisation of the folder Documents, not only the OpenTTD directory will be affected, but everything in Documents.

I don't know any other way to do this. Perhaps others know of a way.

Tschö, Auge
wimpiedimpie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wimpiedimpie »

Auge wrote: 07 Mar 2024 13:59
Simplest would be to open the settings of OneDrive and to deactivate the synchronisation of the Documents folder (there is a group of settings to synchronise the desktop, the images folder and the documents folder). I can only show it in german language.

Onedrive-Synchronisation.png

But you have to be aware, that, if you disable the synchronisation of the folder Documents, not only the OpenTTD directory will be affected, but everything in Documents.

I don't know any other way to do this. Perhaps others know of a way.

Tschö, Auge
I understand. I am aware of the OneDrive settings, as I'm doing a IT study. And I don't want to exclude my complete documents folder from OneDrive, I at least don't prefer that option.
wimpiedimpie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wimpiedimpie »

Eddi wrote: 07 Mar 2024 13:39 well, either you exclude your Documents folder from synchronizing to onedrive, or you change the personal directory location.

easiest way to do the second would be to add the "-c <location>" switch to the start options of the game, and point it to a different location of the openttd.cfg file. all other paths (newgrfs, savegames, etc.) will be relative to that path.
Seems like you found an option without excluding my whole OneDrive - Documents folder. But I don't get completely what you mean? How exactly should I add this path, and where should I do this?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you make a link in your start menu, desktop, wherever, and edit the command line of that link.

or in steam, you can edit the start options in the game settings.
igorvpu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by igorvpu »

Sorry bad english((( I'm use Google Translate
I had a problem with saving in the "my documents" folder. I'm used to saving in the game folder. Following the old advice from another forum, I moved all the OpenTTD folders from “My Documents” to the game folder.
The next time you start the game, it uses "NewGRF" and "SaveGame" from its folder. And saves it to the folder "E:\Games\Open TTD 14.0\save\"
Maybe you should also try transferring from the OneDrive cloud to “my documents” on the PC or to the game folder (if Windows allows writing to your “Program Files” folder)?

Return to “General OpenTTD”