add commands for kick, ban, setting_newgame, restart to Gamescript

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: add commands for kick, ban, setting_newgame, restart to Gamescript

Post by agentw4b »

I just want the players to be able to set some parameters of the game themselves, for example the growth of trees or the time until the end of the game... the most important commands still only go through the admin port, rcon and the console. Although I started this thread with the request that Gamescripts can do the same thing as consoles, but if it can't, then it can't, ok. I'll put up with it or send the commands through the admin port to another external program that will execute them on the server.

----------------------------------------------------------
admin.png
admin.png (69.5 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

agentw4b wrote: 24 Feb 2024 15:00 I just want the players to be able to set some parameters of the game themselves, for example the growth of trees or the time until the end of the game
Why should those be exposed to players and not to admins only in a MP game? ... nothing but conflicting trouble in the long run

either you 'just' play ... or you host and have admin port to ban, kick and do whatevs that is not a game-start setting ... I mean I get wanting a gui and not just console for admin stuffs ... but then don't have it available ingame for not admins

both of those settings you have full controll over when starting a game already (and should not be changed after) ... both for sp and mp

read: either you host your game or I host mine ... but you do not need any of the admin commands available to you in my game .... nor want you to have
this needs more thought ...

I mean I don't do MP games much ... but yeah ...
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

do present better ... make the admin stuffs only show to admin peeps ... don't let me stop you ... but yeah more thought ... and some things even an admin should not change midgame

have fun
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

agentw4b wrote: 24 Feb 2024 07:52 I tested it with a friend and he can't see what I press for the buttons on the page, so this is not a problem.
Not seeing button presses doesn't mean data is not being sent and available to anyone with little effort.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

I will create the Admin script anyway. I wanted to create it for about 5 years, but there was no time. At least I'll learn something from it, and then I can put useful functions for creating button menus into the Gamescript Library...
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

agentw4b wrote: 26 Feb 2024 14:46 I will create the Admin script anyway. I wanted to create it for about 5 years, but there was no time. At least I'll learn something from it, and then I can put useful functions for creating button menus into the Gamescript Library...
that's the spirit ... just don't expect this to land in trunk ... not for trees and end date... not if I get a say ....
^^^ I don't .... not a dev ...
Last edited by ChillCore on 01 Mar 2024 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

So will you also block functions that have long been functional in the gamescript?
This is rather embarrassing .... such threats, it is sad that Openttd has such developers ... better read this :

GSGameSettings::SetValue

https://docs.openttd.org/gs-api/classGS ... 8fa51b80a1

(Or..we created buttons but had to cancel them because people clicked on them, that's horrible.... :-) )
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

noone is stopping you from anything ... what are these threats you are talking about ?

why do peeps keep reading more than what was said?

like just the other day someone put words in actual Devs mouths .. still waiting for the qoute....

for as far as I know I told you to continue .. but don't be sad when it does not make trunk .. and that is it.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”