Maintenance for YAGL?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

UnicycleBloke
Engineer
Engineer

Maintenance for YAGL?

Post by UnicycleBloke »

I would like to gauge how many people are actively using YAGL and how much demand there is for maintenance. I would be very grateful if any occasional or regular users would respond to this post.

I created YAGL some years ago because I was fascinated by the NewGRF specs and thought I might make something a little more user friendly than NFO/grfcodec. NML is clearly the way to go for new GRFs, but YAGL seems to have a niche for older GRFs written in NFO or for which the original source is lost. There wasn't a lot of interest (nobody asked for it, but I had fun doing it), so I basically just stopped working on it and moved to other projects. I'm grateful to those who have contacted me now and then with various issues, but this has been a very slow trickle. This post was prompted by the most recent query. I think I got to pretty much complete coverage of the specs as they stood at that time, but naturally they have evolved a bit. I'm not an active OTTD player at the moment and, perhaps a little ironically, have no interest in creating GRFs myself, so I haven't been keeping up.

I would quite like to make some effort to keep YAGL up to date, as time allows, but I don't think I want to trawl through the specs trying to diff them with whatever version I used in the past. That would be a difficult and tedious exercise. It would be simpler if users made specific feature requests: something in the more recent specs which YAGL doesn't currently handle. Very few bugs have been brought to my attention, but if you have a GRF which won't decode properly, please upload it so I can reproduce the issue. Feel free to open issues on the GitHub project (link below). You can always clone the repo and try out some changes yourself (I hope my code is not too awful).

Thanks.
Welshmilla
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Maintenance for YAGL?

Post by Welshmilla »

Thanks for creating this tool - I've used YAGL to decode and try and update some older newgrfs and found it very useful.

I seem to remember that the version 0.4 on GitHub didn't work with some newgrfs, but I found a version v0.4-100 from viewtopic.php?t=86453&start=40#p1231845 that worked better.

Would it be possible for you to create a release of the latest version and put that on GitHub? Version 0.4 is 114 commits behind the current head. I've tried compiling from source on Windows but haven't been able to get it to work.
UnicycleBloke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by UnicycleBloke »

I wanted to avoid putting big binaries in the repo. I'll have a look to see what solution might work.

What are the build issues?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

There's a few folks using YAGL over on the official OpenTTD Discord, if you're after feedback might be worth poking your head in there and seeing what they have to say.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
UnicycleBloke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by UnicycleBloke »

LOL. I didn't know about Discord. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Graphics Development”