Idea for Mod (#2): Wartime mod

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JosephWhoWhatNow
Engineer
Engineer

Idea for Mod (#2): Wartime mod

Post by JosephWhoWhatNow »

As I mentioned in my other mod idea (#1) just previous to this one, I'm hoping someone will mod this.

This mod is focused on defeating an invading nation from taking over the map, like the Nazis in Europe during WW2.

The enemy starts occupying the map from one edge or corner. You can use markers to draw the enemy's boundary, similar to how railroads have different coloured fences all along them to identify the player the track belongs to. The enemy's border will keep expanding, engulfing industries and towns, and occupying empty land too.

The player needs to build military bases which produce troops. These bases require a number of items delivered to them, including food, steel, and oil. When these items are delivered to the bases, they start producing troops.

The player must then build military camps near the enemy's border, and deliver troops from the bases to the camps. These camps will have an area of influence similar to how train stations have catchment areas. The more troops that are delivered to the camps, the larger the camps' zones of influence.

However, the enemy will also be building camps on the map. When the player is confident he has enough troops, he can order one of his camps to attack an enemy camp. Both sides take losses according to the sizes of their troops in each battle.

Each camp's zone of influence will shrink as it loses troops. The player must keep sending fresh troops to his camps to keep them from falling into the hands of the enemy, and to prevent the enemy from taking more ground.

As in my other mod idea presented before this one, modders are free to take this idea and run with it. We can keep in touch, if you like, so I can answer your questions and provide more suggestions.
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Idea for Mod (#2): Wartime mod

Post by dol422 »

If military is your thing, you're probably better off playing a game that is more suited for it.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

As far as I remember, one of the core principles of this project was to avoid any military theme or violence. And indeed, there are games or game engines that would allow to implement this type of project much better than OTTD.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The kind of territorial restrictions that would be needed for this is not in any version of the game, as far as I know, though we have discussed ways to add it before. It's only been in different contexts though. And yes, I don't think the official version would ever accept a patch specifically targeted for supporting wartime-like situations, however a sufficiently generic patch that could allow all kinds of different game modes to be implemented via Game Script could potentially be included.

There's nothing preventing making e.g. cargo types like weapons and ammunition in a NewGRF and writing a Game Script that implements some kind of scenario involving war, but it's rather discouraged.
(You can use the GS function to set a player's reputation in a town to the lowest possible to make a "soft" building restriction so the player can at least not construct new stations, and I think GS can also forcibly destroy player stations, although not if there are vehicles in it.)
odisseus
Director
Director

Cold War Industry Set

Post by odisseus »

Over the years, there have been at least several ideas about somehow combining OpenTTD with the war theme (1, 2, 3); I believe mine is the most comprehensive one so far. However, to implement any of these ideas (beside military-themed industry sets and eye-candy objects), you'd have to fork OpenTTD and effectively make a new game, because the development team has consistently pledged to keep the game "free from war themes and conflict".

That said, I've just had a new idea. Allow me to introduce... the Cold War Industry Set and the Cold War Gamescript.

This set is intended for multiplayer games, in which two teams would race to stockpiling a certain amount of cargo (nukes, conventional weapons and civilian goods). It is implied that the winner gains a strategic advantage over the opposing team, and the losing side submits in the face of overwhelming odds. There is no actual fighting, so no changes to the core game are required.

I envision such games being played on a huge map that's split into two equal-sized continents. Each team may build only on their continent (AFAIK this can be enforced by the game script, but only to a degree), so there would be no direct competition for towns and industries. Allowing both teams to build over the whole map would lead to a more chaotic gameplay, but wouldn't exactly break it. Perhaps each team would have a protected heartland area (like in City Builder games), but the rest of the map would be open to direct competition.

The main goal of the game is collecting a certain amount of Nukes, a special cargo at the end of multiple industry chains (think Vehicles in the Steeltown economy). The Nukes are accepted by the Missile Silo, a special sink industry, and stored there indefinitely. Each Missile Silo has a stockpile of limited capacities, so the players will have to fund additional industries of this type. Only Nukes that have been delivered to a Missile Silo count towards the goal of the game.

The secondary goal is the management of towns and their civilian population. In order to grow, a town requires deliveries of Passengers, Mail, Food, (Water?) and Goods (just like in City Builder). Beside Passengers and Mail, the towns could produce Workers (to boost production in some industries), and perhaps also Conscripts (required to operate Missile Silos).

An alternative victory condition could be providing each town with a Nuclear Shelter capable of housing a certain fraction of its population. The Nuclear Shelter is a special sink industry, whose stockpile limits depend on the size of the town. It accepts Food, Water, and Goods. Perhaps there would be Fresh Food and Canned Food as separate cargo types, with Nuclear Shelters accepting only the latter. The Shelter can be constructed only in the middle of the town and receives only the surpluses that aren't required by the town itself.

There could be still another way to win the game, by amassing a huge civilian population and a matching supply of non-nuclear Weapons. The Weapons would require a relatively short industry chain (e.g. Iron Ore → Steel → Weapons), and would be accepted by the Military Base, a sink industry with a large or unlimited stockpile. This victory condition would somehow depend on the size ratio between your total population and the opponent's population.

As always, all of this is just an idea, which I have neither time nor skill to implement. Feel free to make use of it whichever way you please.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”