Idea for Mod (#3): Excavate tiles when terraforming

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JosephWhoWhatNow
Engineer
Engineer

Idea for Mod (#3): Excavate tiles when terraforming

Post by JosephWhoWhatNow »

Here's my 3rd mod idea. (I already posted my first 2 ideas previous to this one.)

As with the other 2 ideas, I'm hoping modders will take this idea and turn it into a mod. I don't want any money for it. I just want to play it.

In this mod, the terraforming tool is revamped. Instead of being able to lower or raise a tile, you need to dig it out or fill it in. When you lower a tile, it produces a pile of dirt which must be hauled away and dumped somewhere. That pile of dirt then raises the tile you just delivered it to.

So in this mod, you can't simply lower or raise a tile magically. You need to remove dirt to lower a tile, and add dirt to raise it. And when you do remove dirt from one tile, it needs to go somewhere else and be dumped there.

This creates a new industry... the dirt industry. The dirt industry produces excavator machines that have to be driven to the terraforming site on a road. So you need to build a road to the site you want to excavate, produce an excavator, and send it there. You can pre-assign a number of tiles for the excavator to dig, indicating the depth as well.

You then need to build dump trucks to load the dirt the excavator dug up, deliver it to another site, and dump it there. Remember, the dumped dirt will raise the tiles at the dump site.

The mod would include missions like digging the Panama Canal. When they built the Panama Canal, they built a railroad first, which was used to haul away all the dirt. Perfect for OTTD.

If anyone wants to make this mod, I'd be happy to keep in touch to answer your questions and provide suggestions.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”