Multi-screen - offset center?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Multi-screen - offset center?

Post by Quinch »

Heya! I have a maybe-weird question - I have two screens, and I play OpenTTD in windowed mode, stretching the window across both screens. Obviously, when I centre on something, the object is centred right across the seam, which is... inconvenient. So, with that in mind, is it possible to move the "centre" of the window to not be in actual centre, but offset by a certain value so centres on the left display, for example?
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Multi-screen - offset center?

Post by skc »

The most straight-forward way would be to have the window not centred across your two screens, so that the middle of the window isn't exactly in-line with the split between your two monitors.
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Yep - but I wanna make the most of both!

{you can never have too many in-game windows open!}
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can try extra viewport windows (press "V")

if you feel adventurous, you could fiddle with the source code, the keyword to look for here is "main viewport"
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

This makes me wonder how much work it would be to let the game support having multiple "local clients" to the same game, so you could actually have separate views of your ongoing game on multiple monitors, possibly even with full UI and separate active tools on each. There's a lot of global state involved right now, so probably a huge amount of refactoring needed. The entire video driver interface also assumes that there is only ever one game window active, which would have to change too.
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

I suppose that would be a question for code wizards - it would definitely be a nice feature, especially since multi-monitor setups are becoming more common nowadays.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

jfs wrote: 25 Nov 2023 12:38 This makes me wonder how much work it would be to let the game support having multiple "local clients" to the same game, so you could actually have separate views of your ongoing game on multiple monitors, possibly even with full UI and separate active tools on each.
This is already possible, you can just start a local multiplayer game on your computer, and then open another instance of the game and join yourself :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”