Suggestion: Railroad pathfinding

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Comrad_501
Engineer
Engineer

Suggestion: Railroad pathfinding

Post by Comrad_501 »

I was wondering if signals/trains could be done smarter. Lets say we have a situation, two track, single way mainline, a train breaks down on track 1 (correct way). in the present versions, trains wouldn't take track two, given by signal limitations, now if an advanced two-way system, were to be introduced, trains from track one (remember, track one is blocked by a train which broke down) could take track two (the opposing way) and trains on track two would take turns with other oncoming trains.

Something else which I suggest is having a warning system, where trains know that they have to slow down (another slower train or a blockade)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestion: Railroad pathfinding

Post by GarryG »

Have you tried using path signals?
Give this a try .. on main track can have multiple signals for normal working and the other track has only 1 path at the far end near points.
Hope can see the signals in this image.
Attachments
Path Signals.png
Path Signals.png (136.1 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Comrad_501 wrote: 18 Oct 2023 18:48 I was wondering if signals/trains could be done smarter. ...
It can be done. JGR-PP has a restricted signalling system that would allow you to set this up. However, there is a question whether it would be worth spending the time to set that up in game, i.e. just for an odd broken down train.
... having a warning system, where trains know that they have to slow down (another slower train or a blockade)
This, too, has been implemented in JGR-PP. It is the NEW Signalling feature [0E]. It is my next project to provide the multi-aspect signals and code for it.
Comrad_501
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Comrad_501 »

GarryG wrote: 18 Oct 2023 22:19 Have you tried using path signals?
Give this a try .. on main track can have multiple signals for normal working and the other track has only 1 path at the far end near points.
Hope can see the signals in this image.
What i was thinking is that there should be a specialized partial one-way signal, which could allow trains from the other side if the correct track is blocked... think of it like if the pathfinding didn't look one signal block but many more (kinda linked to my other suggestion about warnings)... like a line block signal which direction can be changed for traffic.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”