[Help needed] Struggling with designing sprites

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

robert58
Engineer
Engineer

[Help needed] Struggling with designing sprites

Post by robert58 »

Hey all,

I'm an aspiring NewGRF developer. I had a really neat idea to contribute to OpenTTD by making my own NewGRF that adds custom houses to the game. Currently, I'm studying how NML works and I'm practicing it. However, even after hours of browsing the Internet I'm struggling to find any useful resources to help me design the actual house sprites so I am pretty much lost at this point. I don't quite understand if you're supposed to make a 3D render first somehow, or if you're supposed to hand draw the pixelart yourself.

Does anyone have tips or advice for where I should look? Is there a place where I can access the source codes of existing NewGRF's so I can learn from that?

I appreciate your help :)
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [Help needed] Struggling with designing sprites

Post by belgi »

robert58 wrote: 23 Sep 2023 15:33 Hey all,

I'm an aspiring NewGRF developer. I had a really neat idea to contribute to OpenTTD by making my own NewGRF that adds custom houses to the game. Currently, I'm studying how NML works and I'm practicing it. However, even after hours of browsing the Internet I'm struggling to find any useful resources to help me design the actual house sprites so I am pretty much lost at this point. I don't quite understand if you're supposed to make a 3D render first somehow, or if you're supposed to hand draw the pixelart yourself.

Does anyone have tips or advice for where I should look? Is there a place where I can access the source codes of existing NewGRF's so I can learn from that?

I appreciate your help :)
Hello,

check GarryG's site, he has graphics and source code. Maybe it will help you. He himself is available for advice, so you can also ask him ;-)
We will all be happy if you bring something new to the game ;-)

viewtopic.php?p=1264825#p1264825

Good luck and have a nice day
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

robert58 wrote: 23 Sep 2023 15:33 Does anyone have tips or advice for where I should look? Is there a place where I can access the source codes of existing NewGRF's so I can learn from that?
Sounds like you want to build your own towns?

A chap called Jimbob started to help me learn to do town sets, but we got side tracked and not got back to it. And now I don't have the time to work on them.

This the source for that if interested. But it in the old 8 bit graphics. Our main problem was getting buildings to face the roads.

As belgi mentioned your welcome to use my sources.

Cheers pal
Attachments
AuzTownSet2.rar
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

robert58 wrote: 23 Sep 2023 15:33 I don't quite understand if you're supposed to make a 3D render first somehow, or if you're supposed to hand draw the pixelart yourself.
In general, 8 bit, 1x sprites tend to be hand-drawn, and 32 bit, higher resolution sprites tend to be 3d rendered, but that's by no means a hard and fast rule. A sprite is a sprite - you can create it any way you like. Hand-drawn, code generated, 3d rendered, voxels, etc... whatever your comfortable with.

Return to “Graphics Development”