Changing openttd.cfg doesn't seem to do anything

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

BenchFox
Engineer
Engineer

Changing openttd.cfg doesn't seem to do anything

Post by BenchFox »

Hello, I've been playing a map on OpenTTD where I need to have more than 500 road vehicles, and I've been getting a "Too many vehicles" error when trying to buy new buses. I heard that changing max_roadveh on openttd.cfg and then saving it would fix the issue by increasing the maximum amount of vehicles I would be allowed to buy, but doing that still gives me the same error. How can I increase the maximum amount of vehicles I can buy on a given map?

Thanks for any help!
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Changing openttd.cfg doesn't seem to do anything

Post by _dp_ »

1. Close the game before changing the config. It overwrites config on exit and only picks up new values on start.
2. Game settings for existing saves are stored in the save file and are not affected by the config. You can only change them in the game when save is loaded via settings menu or console.
3. Max vehicles road vehicles can be changed by simply going to gear menu -> settings -> type "max road"' in filter (in the language of your interface)
BenchFox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BenchFox »

_dp_ wrote: 25 Aug 2023 14:44 1. Close the game before changing the config. It overwrites config on exit and only picks up new values on start.
2. Game settings for existing saves are stored in the save file and are not affected by the config. You can only change them in the game when save is loaded via settings menu or console.
3. Max vehicles road vehicles can be changed by simply going to gear menu -> settings -> type "max road"' in filter (in the language of your interface)
OHHHH I found it under Limitations.
Strange how config only affects new games, but alright.

Thank you very much!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the values in the .cfg only affect new games, not savegames.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

BenchFox wrote: 25 Aug 2023 18:04 Strange how config only affects new games, but alright.
It's not really strange. If you don't run the save with the settings it was created with it won't work as supposed and can even break the game completely. Imagine having to somehow figure out and change all the settings in the config every time you load a save.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

BenchFox wrote: 25 Aug 2023 18:04
_dp_ wrote: 25 Aug 2023 14:44 1. Close the game before changing the config. It overwrites config on exit and only picks up new values on start.
OHHHH I found it under Limitations.
Strange how config only affects new games, but alright.

Thank you very much!
Take your favourite 'AAA'-level FPS, start a game on 'easy' difficulty, save it, return to the main menu. Change to 'nightmare' difficulty, load save game - you don't want it suddenly being on 'nightmare', you want it on 'easy' as that's what you started the game with...

Saving some configuration settings into the save-game is absolutely standard and is nothing new.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”