NewGRF that provide good locomotives between 1960-2000

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

NewGRF that provide good locomotives between 1960-2000

Post by GrandSeverus »

Heya all,
So after a few playthroughs, I have decided on a few grf mods when it comes to locomotives.
They are NUTS and NARS. There is, of course, a maglev set and a vactrain set.
The problem comes that NARS gives you very good steam trains in the 1940s, they have good horsepower and tractive effort.
The problem is they are basically no trains that surpass them when it comes to stats until the 1990s.
So was looking for a mod that would provide me with the solution to this problem, unfortunately, I haven't found one.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about a mod that would provide such trains?
I would be most thankful.
Cheers,
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: NewGRF that provide good locomotives between 1960-2000

Post by LaChupacabra »

If not enough choice is an issue, I recommend 2CC Trains. You will find a lot of trains from all over the world there. If I'm not mistaken, it's over 500 engines. ;)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GrandSeverus »

LaChupacabra wrote: 02 Jul 2023 16:16 If not enough choice is an issue, I recommend 2CC Trains. You will find a lot of trains from all over the world there. If I'm not mistaken, it's over 500 engines. ;)
The number of trains is not the issue. The number of quality trains is. NARS and NARS-addon have a lot of trains but I do not use most of them since they do not have good enough stats like max, power, or tractive effort.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Keep in mind that you can multi-head trains: putting multiple engines on a single train. That's very common in prototypical American railroads, sometimes even having multiple engines distributed along a train to improve the brake pipe response times and such. (Of course, response time to pressure changes in the brake pipe aren't part of the simulation in OpenTTD.)

Anyway, if you buy an extra engine in a depot, you can drag it onto an existing train to make it a part of that train, and that will basically just add that engine's power to the train total motive power. That way you can get more power on your train without needing to have more powerful single locomotives.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Try Iron Horse, it was designed with logical gameplay progression in mind. And it's big enough that you can run it by itself :)
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

Try the US set, also known as the American Transition Train Set! I start my games in 1920! :lol:

Christopher Tarana
ProbablyIdiot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ProbablyIdiot »

UKRS/UKRS2 or BRTrains v2 have some great trains. :D
Last edited by ProbablyIdiot on 10 Jul 2023 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
I've played for years, but I'm still stupid. :lol:
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there are two issues here that real railways faced in the timespan you give:

1) in the 1960s eraa, steam has been phased out, often replacing highly custom mega-steam engines with usually smaller generic diesel engines, which didn't need to be as big and powerful, because they can be more easily run in multiples, if more power is needed.
2) in the eras after that, railways often stagnated, not really needing any replacements, or if they did, it's just "more of the same"
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

There are a lot of sets to choose from, but apart from the Iron Horse, I'm afraid they'll be very similar to NARS, the US train set has it's faults, plus it's no longer in development, I suspect.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I'm using The Plane set, US Set and the Station set with the current version of OpenTTD fine! :lol:

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
TratField Coal Mine!.jpg
(701.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “General OpenTTD”