Oil Well industry not spawning

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Oil Well industry not spawning

Post by chrissykes »

Hi, I have an issue with OpenTTD and JGRPP version where if I create any new scenarios (temperate) I either have zero or just 1x Oil Well at map generation. Playing further into the game all the other industries generate and close as expected all OK however Oil Wells do not spawn at all, even when left on Fast Forward for 15 years game time.
I have a bunch of GRF's including some that can change Oil Industry settings but even playing without that GRF the issue is still there. I have looked through the settings options (advanced) but only see the distance for Oil industries and changing that to min or max doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Oil Well industry not spawning

Post by Eddi »

try removing ALL NewGRFs, not just the one you think is responsible.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

If the grf that JGR wrote to you isn't causing it, you may have one similar there. Also, for example, ECS houses can change certain industry settings.
chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chrissykes »

So removing all GRF's I get 0x oil well at generation
With just 1x bus or tram GRF I have 1x oil well at map generation then aftert 1960 the Oil Well spring up in abundance
Heresy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Heresy »

I tried it using fresh installs of a few different OpenTTD versions, and I had the same issue.
New Oil Wells would only be created in Sub-Arctic or Sub-Tropical climates, in the Temperate climate, no new Oil Wells would appear after the initial ones were created at map creation.

I made an issue for it, as I assume it is a bug, even excluding the fact that Oil Wells are special in Temperate contra Sub-Arctic/Tropical, as in they are designed to always lose production output and close down in Temperate.
chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chrissykes »

Thanks, glad someone took the time to test and confirm there is something not quite right. I find it strange I only get either non st all or just 1x, it's like it's doomed and just gives up creating them.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just to clarify, you were all using years before 1950 right? As no new ones intentionally spawn after 1950. I don't know if that applies to just temperate, or also other climates. I also do not know if any GRF's can affect that, but to my knowledge, no new ones after 1950 in vanilla no-GRF OTTD.

In Arctic or Sub-Tropical, oil wells production fluctuates like any others, whilst temperate ones only slowly go down until they despawn, with no new ones after 1950. This and more is explained in the OpenTTD wiki/manual here.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
chrissykes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chrissykes »

Yes that is correct all maps spawned prior to 1950 as I am aware they "stop" spawning post 1950. That was all in the JGR Patch topic but forgot to add to this one.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

chrissykes wrote: 20 Jun 2023 16:28 Yes that is correct all maps spawned prior to 1950 as I am aware they "stop" spawning post 1950. That was all in the JGR Patch topic but forgot to add to this one.
Ah okay. Just checking! Didn't want it to be for a really obvious reason no one had spotted :lol:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”