New cargo types?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tipthewaiter
Engineer
Engineer

New cargo types?

Post by tipthewaiter »

Greetings,

I'm returning to OpenTTD and now there are new industries and cargo types such as beer, food, and fish. However, I cannot find a road vehicle to transport any of these three cargo types. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New cargo types?

Post by Redirect Left »

tipthewaiter wrote: 07 Jun 2023 18:43 Greetings,

I'm returning to OpenTTD and now there are new industries and cargo types such as beer, food, and fish. However, I cannot find a road vehicle to transport any of these three cargo types. What am I missing?

Thanks!
These industries are not in vanilla OpenTTD. You're using additional mods, or GRFs. You need to make sure that you also have vehicles (probably a different GRF needed with vehicles) that can be refitted to carry those cargo, or carries the cargo without being refit.
I don't entirely know if vanilla vehicles 'see' the new cargo and can be refitted to them, but it may be worth trying, and then if nothing else, we'll both learn something for future reference.

This is the refit button, it only appears if the vehicle is in a depot, and it'll list the different available cargo. This one is just lots of passenger stuff because it can be refitted to lots of different liveries those trains carried in the real world.
Attachments
2023-06-07 19_46_22-OpenTTD jgrpp-0.53.3.png
2023-06-07 19_46_22-OpenTTD jgrpp-0.53.3.png (85.29 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote: 07 Jun 2023 18:44 You're using additional mods, or GRFs. You need to make sure that you also have vehicles (probably a different GRF needed with vehicles) that can be refitted to carry those cargo, or carries the cargo without being refit.
This is now outdated advice since OpenTTD 12. All default vehicles can now carry all NewGRF cargoes as long as the NewGRF industry set adheres to the cargo standardization scheme, which pretty much every industry set developed in the last decade does.

So the key is to not be using an old copy of OpenTTD.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote: 08 Jun 2023 01:54 This is now outdated advice since OpenTTD 12. All default vehicles can now carry all NewGRF cargoes as long as the NewGRF industry set adheres to the cargo standardization scheme, which pretty much every industry set developed in the last decade does.
Noted, so I guess the advice with using default vehicles & refitting works, or perhaps without refitting. I've never used an industry GRF, nor standard OpenTTD since probably 2015 outside of testing, as you can probably tell.
Either way, noted for any future threads that show up.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Of course, it's possible that the developers have left something out here and there - quite likely in the case of XIS and AXIS, for example - but there shouldn't be a problem with basic FIRS now, at least I haven't noticed any.
tipthewaiter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tipthewaiter »

Redirect Left wrote: 07 Jun 2023 18:44
These industries are not in vanilla OpenTTD. You're using additional mods, or GRFs. You need to make sure that you also have vehicles (probably a different GRF needed with vehicles) that can be refitted to carry those cargo, or carries the cargo without being refit.
As it turns out, I can't find a single road vehicle that can be refit to carry these additional cargos. I only noticed because I set up grain/livestock and got food instead of goods like always before! I have the latest release of OpenTTD installed. No idea what NewGRF I have in my list causing these other industries to pop up or how to find a road vehicle set to transport them. :shock:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

tipthewaiter wrote: 09 Jun 2023 18:20 As it turns out, I can't find a single road vehicle that can be refit to carry these additional cargos. I only noticed because I set up grain/livestock and got food instead of goods like always before! I have the latest release of OpenTTD installed. No idea what NewGRF I have in my list causing these other industries to pop up or how to find a road vehicle set to transport them. :shock:
So first of all, i presume you are using a desktop version of OpenTTD, from openttd.org? If not, let us know, I've never used the android port for example i dunno how 'vanilla' it is.

Drop back to the main menu, if you had these industries load by default, then i am guessing you have a GRF set to start with a new map from a previous older version, maybe? Drop to main menu, and bottom half of the menu is 'NewGRF Settings', click on that and it'll show what GRFs if any (I am hoping some else we've got bigger problems), now if you deselect them here, it'll only change future games. You cannot reliably alter GRFs in a game you're already playing.

If you want to keep the industries you have, I'm afraid we've exhausted my knowledge, as kamnet said earlier, modern versions of OpenTTD should 'see' new cargo anyway, so that's for people more in the know to help with. From the newgrf menu you could select scan online content, and see if you are using a really old GRF and there's an update for it that brings it up to the standards kamnet said should work.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It's quite possible that he simply uploaded some game scenario with Firs, because if he doesn't even know how to get to the newgrf menu, how else would he get another industry there? The given scenario may have an error and the necessary vehicles may not start until later.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Uploading a copy of the savegame could be helpful.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”