Canadian (International) Roads v. 1.6.3

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Canadian (International) Roads v. 1.6.3

Post by leifbk »

I like the dirt roads of the Canadian International Roads a lot. But last week I downloaded version 1.6.3c (or 1.6.3-3), which unfortunately is unusable on Linux. Before I discovered that, I had already deleted the 1.6.0 version :oops:

So, my question is: can somebody please post or PM me a version 1.6.3 of this NewGRF? It looks like there won't be any upcoming releases of it anymore.

Edit: Corrected version numbers
Last edited by leifbk on 06 Oct 2014 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Canadian (International) Roads v. 1.6.0

Post by planetmaker »

leifbk wrote:which unfortunately is unusable on Linux
Whatever your issue has been with a NewGRF: it has nothing to do whatsoever with the operating system you use(d).
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

planetmaker wrote:
leifbk wrote:which unfortunately is unusable on Linux
Whatever your issue has been with a NewGRF: it has nothing to do whatsoever with the operating system you use(d).
So, what's this then, when I start a new game with the Canadian (International) Roads v1.6c:
error.png
error.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
I can't find any CanRoadsd.grf anywhere.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

It's likely a technical check for the colour palette and the game version used and the error message is worded badly. NewGRFs have no possibiltiy to check for the OS.

However, for historical reasons OpenTTD knows two different colour palettes, one called "Windows" and one called "DOS". The "DOS" palette is the default one offers more colours than the Windows colour palette. Likely that NewGRF exists/existed in a version with the windows palette and the default DOS palette. You got the version in the windows palette (manual download anywhere?) and it tries to tell you "You use OpenTTD, which can use the DOS palette, thus get the correct version of this grf".
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

That error message is terrible, and doesn't mean what you think it means. Try the "Palette" switch in the settings for this NewGRF.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

planetmaker wrote:It's likely a technical check for the colour palette and the game version used and the error message is worded badly. NewGRFs have no possibiltiy to check for the OS.

However, for historical reasons OpenTTD knows two different colour palettes, one called "Windows" and one called "DOS". The "DOS" palette is the default one offers more colours than the Windows colour palette. Likely that NewGRF exists/existed in a version with the windows palette and the default DOS palette. You got the version in the windows palette (manual download anywhere?) and it tries to tell you "You use OpenTTD, which can use the DOS palette, thus get the correct version of this grf".
Why haven't I had this problem before, with the 1.6.0 version?

Here's how it looks in the NewGRF settings:
newgrfsettings.png
newgrfsettings.png (29.71 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Eddi wrote:That error message is terrible, and doesn't mean what you think it means. Try the "Palette" switch in the settings for this NewGRF.
I've tried to toggle the palette for this NewGRF. Then, when I start a new game, there's no error message, but only the default blacktop roads appear.

Besides, there's no way to set parameters in this version. So, all in all, this version appears next to useless.

Edit: This was the one that I had before and which worked fine:

http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/ope ... 6.3.tar.gz

Now it's been replaced with this version which is effectively useless:

http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/ope ... 3-3.tar.gz

Title of thread changed accordingly.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

leifbk wrote:I've tried to toggle the palette for this NewGRF. Then, when I start a new game, there's no error message, but only the default blacktop roads appear.
You're sure you are starting a game early enough for the dirt roads to appear, yes? They only show up before 1940 or so, IIRC.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Supercheese wrote:You're sure you are starting a game early enough for the dirt roads to appear, yes? They only show up before 1940 or so, IIRC.
I started in 1750 :)

Besides, the Canadian blacktop roads also look quite different from the default.
kamnet

Re: Canadian (International) Roads v. 1.6.3

Post by kamnet »

It could be an error with the NewGRF. But as OzTrans has stopped development of it, it may not ever be fixed.

Best I can suggest is that you privately contact OzTrans and see if he has a solution.
kamnet

Re: Canadian (International) Roads v. 1.6.3

Post by kamnet »

Revenge_of_KioTheDev wrote: 06 Jun 2023 10:26 because oztrans acted very threatening in a private message, i'm putting this here immediately...
Not to be pedantic, but OzTrans was not threatening. As the creator of the file, he controls the copyright on it and, in all fairness, you did violate the license that was attached to those files. He had every right to enforce its removal. Why he chose to remove them from here is immaterial. OzTrans has made it clear that he does not want these files distributed by anybody else but himself.

The admin here are both legally obligated and honor-bound by our own ethics to enforce his rights.

Return to “General OpenTTD”