Help with OpenTTD Resolution "Error"?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Help with OpenTTD Resolution "Error"?

Post by Master Trams »

To clarify, I've put error in quotation marks as I seem to be the only person experiencing this issue, and it's not really a gameplay issue, more a quality of life issue.

To summarise the situation, I've just upgraded from a one-monitor setup to a two-monitor setup, and carried over my old screen as one of them. So I have one old and one new monitor, with different resolutions. And I'm experiencing all the classic differing-resolutions issues, such as the cursor not behaving properly, and text being fuzzy/blurry, but only in OpenTTD... Everything works perfectly on both screens outside of OpenTTD, but insists on misbehaving within OpenTTD... Even on the old monitor, which ran perfectly when it was on it's own, now the responsiveness of the game is off...

To clarify on the cursor issue on the new monitor, there seems to be a slight delay between me moving my physical mouse and the cursor moving, but more annoyingly, the cursor doesn't stop moving once I stop moving my mouse, making it very hard and sometimes infuriating to click on the small buttons that entails playing OpenTTD.

I've spoken to other people, and no-one else seems to have this issue with muti-monitor displays, so can anyone help?
I love distracting myself from my day job by doing my day job thanks to OpenTTD JGR!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Help with OpenTTD Resolution "Error"?

Post by Eddi »

are you using windows? try disabling compatibility mode.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Are your screens set up with any different settings (like resolution or font size)?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Asking this question might or might not be helpful to somebody else to resolve:

What is the make/model of each monitor, and what are the current settings for resolution, dpi, refresh rate etc?
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

Eddi wrote: 31 May 2023 11:42 are you using windows? try disabling compatibility mode.
So, I've just checked, it was already off. So that hasn't solved it unfortunately. Nice idea though, as I didn't even know that was a thing.
I love distracting myself from my day job by doing my day job thanks to OpenTTD JGR!
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

kamnet wrote: 31 May 2023 18:21 Asking this question might or might not be helpful to somebody else to resolve:

What is the make/model of each monitor, and what are the current settings for resolution, dpi, refresh rate etc?
The older monitor is a Dell P2419H with a 1920x1080 resolution, 60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit bit depth, RGB colour format and an SDR colour space.
The newer monitor is a Dell P2723D with a 2560x1440 resolution, 60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit bit depth, RGB colour format and an SDR colour space.

I do not know how to find out the DPI value for each model, nor do I really know what you could mean by etc... I've literally just listed off all I can find in the advanced display settings on my PC.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Master Trams wrote: 31 May 2023 19:24
kamnet wrote: 31 May 2023 18:21 Asking this question might or might not be helpful to somebody else to resolve:

The older monitor is a Dell P2419H with a 1920x1080 resolution, 60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit bit depth, RGB colour format and an SDR colour space.
The newer monitor is a Dell P2723D with a 2560x1440 resolution, 60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit bit depth, RGB colour format and an SDR colour space.

I do not know how to find out the DPI value for each model, nor do I really know what you could mean by etc... I've literally just listed off all I can find in the advanced display settings on my PC.
What's your graphics card? It might not be up to the task of pushing all those pixels to the two screens.

FYI: I'm running 2x Lenovo 24" screens, both at 1920x1080 and never had the issues you're describing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Master Trams wrote: 31 May 2023 19:24 The older monitor is a Dell P2419H with a 1920x1080 resolution, 60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit bit depth, RGB colour format and an SDR colour space.

The DPI in newer versions of Windows is presented in the settings as Font size, in steps of 100%, 125%, 150%, 175%, 200%, etc.
It's also a per-monitor setting in Windows 10, in the same settings page as the screen resolution.
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

skc wrote: 01 Jun 2023 01:49
Master Trams wrote: 31 May 2023 19:24

What's your graphics card? It might not be up to the task of pushing all those pixels to the two screens.

FYI: I'm running 2x Lenovo 24" screens, both at 1920x1080 and never had the issues you're describing.
A) I have two different monitors, whereas you would appear to have two identical monitors, which I believe is one of the causes of these issues.
B) How do I find out what my graphics card is?
jfs wrote: 01 Jun 2023 06:41
Master Trams wrote: 31 May 2023 19:24 The older monitor is a Dell P2419H with a 1920x1080 resolution, 60Hz refresh rate, 8-bit bit depth, RGB colour format and an SDR colour space.

The DPI in newer versions of Windows is presented in the settings as Font size, in steps of 100%, 125%, 150%, 175%, 200%, etc.
It's also a per-monitor setting in Windows 10, in the same settings page as the screen resolution.
Ah, ok. I'll check tonight when I'm home from work, but I believe both of them are set to 100%.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The thing that concerns/confuses me is stopping the movement of the mouse but the pointer keeps moving. This to me sounds like input lag, but it's weird that it would be happening on one monitor but not the other. I've run multi-monitor setups with different brands of displays and mixed resolutions, refresh rates etc for years and I've never experienced that.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Master Trams wrote: 01 Jun 2023 08:18 <snip>

A) I have two different monitors, whereas you would appear to have two identical monitors, which I believe is one of the causes of these issues.
B) How do I find out what my graphics card is?

<snip>
Yes, I am running two identical monitors, and only mentioned it as it may be important IF the issue is indeed within OTTD.

I'm not familiar enough with Windows any more to know the individual steps, but I'm fairly sure you can still type 'Device Manager' into the start menu search box.
There's probably a more user-friendly way to have the information displayed, but I just don't know Windows well enough to guide you to that.
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

kamnet wrote: 01 Jun 2023 09:23 The thing that concerns/confuses me is stopping the movement of the mouse but the pointer keeps moving. This to me sounds like input lag, but it's weird that it would be happening on one monitor but not the other. I've run multi-monitor setups with different brands of displays and mixed resolutions, refresh rates etc for years and I've never experienced that.
Looking at it now, it is there on the second monitor, this lag, but it is so much more pronounced on the new monitor. Also, I hesitate to call it input lag, as it starts the input (i.e. the cursor moving) the minute I move my mouse, but it doesn't end the movement as soon as I do.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

are you using the "fullscreen" setting?
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

Eddi wrote: 03 Jun 2023 17:08 are you using the "fullscreen" setting?
No, I am not. I have tried it a few times to see if it resolves the issue, and no, it does not.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I think it'd be easiest to give more advice, if you can share a screenshot of what it actually looks like. Ideally one of your complete desktop with all monitors visible (but any personal/private information blocked out, of course).
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

I have now spotted these issues cropping up in non-OpenTTD activities, so I no longer think it is just an OpenTTD issue. Therefore I have opened a question on the Microsoft Community, to see if anyone there can solve this issue.
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

jfs wrote: 06 Jun 2023 10:23 I think it'd be easiest to give more advice, if you can share a screenshot of what it actually looks like. Ideally one of your complete desktop with all monitors visible (but any personal/private information blocked out, of course).
I don't think a screenshot would work for this. A video, perhaps, but I don't know how I'd be able to share one.
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Master Trams »

Master Trams wrote: 06 Jun 2023 18:34 I have now spotted these issues cropping up in non-OpenTTD activities, so I no longer think it is just an OpenTTD issue. Therefore I have opened a question on the Microsoft Community, to see if anyone there can solve this issue.
And the Microsoft community has fixed 95% of my issues, but OpenTTD still persists... It must be something to do with the game itself...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”