[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 26 May 2023 19:08 So this small town originally had a little over 2,000 inhabitants. Now he is truly a giant. And with its own bus station.
Where is that nice large combined bus/truck stop in the center coming from? Are you playing with a patch pack instead of original OTTD?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I play with the JGR patchpack, I already wrote about it here. So far it seems that URatt 0.8 has a better default solution, the previous version would build asphalt roads with a limit of 72 kilometers as urban. By the way, I haven't even really started in the industry, and yet I still only have work to do on an eighth of the game's scenario. On the other hand, the fact is that today I connected the game to the TV and let it run more or less on its own.
However, the possibility of more bus stops is said to be coming in vanilla as well. It's just going to take a while.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 26 May 2023 21:57 By the way, I haven't even really started in the industry, and yet I still only have work to do on an eighth of the game's scenario. On the other hand, the fact is that today I connected the game to the TV and let it run more or less on its own.
That sounds pretty relaxing - almost like the fish tank and fire place that they showed on TV at night in our country a long time back :lol:
Argus wrote: 26 May 2023 21:57 However, the possibility of more bus stops is said to be coming in vanilla as well. It's just going to take a while.
I guess this is the most-anticipated new feature in like years. Hopefully it will not take until the next April 1st to get added. And "road waypoints" as well, please!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Waypoints are already there too. I think this is the first time graphics have been made for a feature that is only in a patchpack so far.
I have now uploaded a game from the very first version of this game script. I'm considering whether to start the respective cities or just Hamburg and come up with something else. I don't have any letters on my keyboard. :D
Of course, I could only play the current version, but I don't like to delete played games :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 27 May 2023 21:19 Waypoints are already there too. I think this is the first time graphics have been made for a feature that is only in a patchpack so far.
I have now uploaded a game from the very first version of this game script. I'm considering whether to start the respective cities or just Hamburg and come up with something else. I don't have any letters on my keyboard. :D
Of course, I could only play the current version, but I don't like to delete played games :)
Glad you still like to play this scenario but I would like to suggest to move this over to the associated "screenshots" thread :arrow: here
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

What's new in the new version? :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 02 Jun 2023 13:55 What's new in the new version? :)
You mean the one that is now in the content download service?

Acutally wanted to announce that separately but did not have the time to do so before the weekend.

In technichal terms, I would call it a "minor update" - some of the incorrect road tiles adjusted, a few additional industries added. Nothing big and special.

Mostly playing for myself now - spend the last days to construct most of the Hamburg subway network, which is kind of a challenge due to the many lines that cross near the central station.

Will later post some screenshots in the other thread here
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Another problem with objects :(
Attachments
Green & Co., 7. říj 1901.png
(308.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 19 Jun 2023 15:50 Another problem with objects :(
Thank you very much for recognizing these graphics problems.

They are due to some changes GarryG made to the "Auz Farm Objects" NewGRF that modified the object IDs, I guess - corrected them in my running game but forgot to also do this in the scenario.

There is supposed to be a small "non-operative and for decorative purposes only" airfield there - suggest to just bulldoze this for the moment.

I will try to correct it for scenario v0.98 but will not update this in the next couple of weeks since I expect more small things to discover while I continue to play the scenario.

There is also two other messed up airfields east (right) of Wulmstorf on the south side of the Elbe and southwest of Havingshorst.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Knowledge of Uratt from another game.
URatt 0.8 with default settings just built me a road in the city with a limit of 60 kilometers.
With the "dump_info roadtypes" command, you can easily find out that when it becomes available, the city can build a faster road with a limit of 90 kilometers!
For a realistic scenario, the most suitable setting is the sequence, where the appearance of the city road changes over time, but maintains the limit of 50 kilometers per hour.
If it's uncomfortable for you for some reason, so be it, but I'll definitely change it when I start the next version. :wink:
Maybe I'm a detail person, but I'd rather use Polish buildings in a generated game with American city names than put up with vehicles driving through the city at speed of a hundred kilometers. :lol:
Edit: Sorry, I forgot that by default cities are not allowed to build roads.
Unfortunately, I found that when there is zero city growth, subsidizing new buildings doesn't help, at least not in the JGR Patchpack. Which again opens the question of using some GS.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 30 Jun 2023 14:03 Sorry, I forgot that by default cities are not allowed to build roads.
Unfortunately, I found that when there is zero city growth, subsidizing new buildings doesn't help, at least not in the JGR Patchpack. Which again opens the question of using some GS.
Yes, the default for this scenario is to switch everything off, both city building activities and industries opening and closure, as the main goal set here is to build a real-world transport network.

Also, since city growth, in my experience, is too fast in relation to covering such a large map, it would also quickly "overgrow" all those roads that I meticulously placed at the correct positions for weeks.

However, in the standard OTTD v1.3 version I can actually subsidize construction of new buildings and I see these regularly appearing even when selecting "fund new buildings" only once. This seems to be specifically related to the JGR patchpack which I have not used so far, therefore cannot provide help on this issue, sorry.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Game scripts can really slow down the growth of cities. So it's true that I've experienced scripts that cause a city to grow wildly, but the one I'm using has never done that before.
I'll try again, maybe it's because I didn't build a proper road into town. But I just can't do it.
Also, if you're going for such realism, why build roads that aren't actually inside the city? True, you can't build a city road on a sequence anyway, the city has to build it.
Sometimes the realism hits hard with the game's limitations :D
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Now I'm going to start the scenario again because the new Central European set of buildings fits in there nicely. In the meantime, I've been playing other games to try out Quast's new set of roads.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 28 Jul 2023 17:52 Now I'm going to start the scenario again because the new Central European set of buildings fits in there nicely. In the meantime, I've been playing other games to try out Quast's new set of roads.
Glad you still enjoy the scenario and would be very interested to see some pictures but not be able to do any modifications for the next couple of week since currently on holiday travel to a place very far from the scenario settings (and actually much closer to one of the most prolific graphic creators here)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

I have just updated my Hamburg scenario to incorporate the new U&RaTT v1.1 which required all road tiles to be checked and get it ready for the "roadstops" which I will include once OTTD 14.0 becomes available.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The start date of the new version did not please me :(
What is the reason? The new URatt has no problems with the early start. :roll:
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 11 Feb 2024 14:21 The start date of the new version did not please me :(
What is the reason? The new URatt has no problems with the early start. :roll:
Two main reasons why I changed the starting date to the 1960s:

- Some of the URatt roads that I wanted to use are not available earlier but I needed them to "block" spreading of the cities too far, since each city is "surrounded/isolated" by a "perimeter" of roads that do not allow building houses any futher away when automatic city growth is turned on (which it is not by default).

- Due to the very large size of the map for such a small area (others place a whole country or even continent into 2048x2048) earlier road vehicles in particular lack the capacity and speed to support the long distances

But it is actually just a few clicks to "set back the time" yourself to 1930s or even pre-1900, as both GETS and Polroad offer vehicles that go back to the 1870s, I think. You can do this both in the scenario editor or the "special menue"
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Uratt also has old roads where houses are not allowed, such as gravel road. But I understand that you probably don't exist in that area.
I don't agree with the second point either. Yes, Polish vehicles don't handle it very well, but adding Horse Carts would be enough. And start somewhere by the water with shipping first.
Now the game scenario is too simple, besides, almost everything is already available.
I will definitely change the date the next time I start. I understand the decision, but there was another way to handle it.... If only by losing a little realism. :)
That's why I like Quast's roads the best, they're all available right away, though sure, having a highway in 1850 is pretty funny :D
Also, JFRattroad will serve better in this regard...
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

By the way, start in Hamburg, for example, and use Polroad for public transport, and you will also start earning relatively quickly. In addition, using a fiacr for short distances and stagecoach for longer ones will also help...
I'm wondering if Polroad might be thrown off by the new cargo aging setup, as I've had no issues with it in that regard.

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”