Station Spriteset Limit

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Station Spriteset Limit

Post by Trolley Trev »

This might be a random question, but just curious as to why station newGRFs are limited to 6 sprite sets per station? Is this a legacy limit from the original newGRF spec or just an arbitrary number? Only reason I ask is because I'm currently developing a station set and I want to have the option of "Auto Station" much like in ISR, but this sprite set limitation will allow me to only have a maximum of 6 unique tiles in any given station. I could hack around it by making a freaking huge sprite set with sprites for multiple tile types, but I'd rather not. Anyone have any insights into this?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Station Spriteset Limit

Post by peter1138 »

Hmm, where/what is limited to 6?

Do you mean the number of station sprite layouts, which is actually 4 (8 if you count X/Y separately, but that isn't a useful distinction) unless you use the callback to select a different one?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Station Spriteset Limit

Post by Trolley Trev »

You can use more than 6 sprite layouts per station item, so long as collectively they don't reference more than 6 custom spritesets, otherwise nmlc throws an error on compile saying you can only have 6. Built-in sprites don't count towards the 6.

This pic from the nml wiki on stations has a little note about upto 6 spritesets, but I'm not sure what the reason for the limit is :?

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”