Rating stucks at 200 (Mediocre) for quite some time

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Rating stucks at 200 (Mediocre) for quite some time

Post by Jubilee »

I've noticed something strange. The rating of my company at a town seems to be stuck at 200 even though i regularly make a Large Adv & Fund buildings and i'm careful not to destroy trees. In fact, if i build some trees, it may get above 200 but it still stays stuck for quite some time.

I've noticed that in older games too and i'm guessing that it starts increasing after much time passes and either the town population has surpassed a limit or a certain amount of time has passed.

Any reason for that?
-----
Chaney 'Jubilee' (Steam powered)
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Rating stucks at 200 (Mediocre) for quite some time

Post by _dp_ »

Advertisement and funding has no effect on rating, check actual factors: https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Game ... ity-rating
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

Thanks for the link.
_dp_ wrote: 25 May 2023 09:55Advertisement and funding has no effect on rating
i more-or-less knew that, i just don't understand why it stays at 200. Apart from building trees, i don't know what else to do in order to un-stuck it.
-----
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The primary way to raise company rating in a town is to have active stations inside the town, and not have any inactive stations. Having a bus route inside a town, with frequent traffic, is both the best way to make a town grow, and to make a town like you.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

jfs wrote: 25 May 2023 11:53 The primary way to raise company rating in a town is to have active stations inside the town, and not have any inactive stations. Having a bus route inside a town, with frequent traffic, is both the best way to make a town grow, and to make a town like you.
Great. I have a train station, an airport and a ship dock, their ratings are above 70%. I also have a couple of trains transferring goods from a nearby sawmill. No Factory near it, so i chose not to send anything. I wonder, could this be the reason?
-----
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

If those stations only get very rare visits, they'll be causing the rating to drop. If you make sure every station is visited at least once every 50 days (at most 50 days between each time a vehicle loads/unloads there) then that station should contribute to town rating growth.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

jfs wrote: 25 May 2023 13:08If you make sure every station is visited at least once every 50 days
Hmmm... It seems the town got unstuck and the rate increased to Good and then Very Good. Maybe it was the 50 days...

EDIT: Now that i think of it, the port has a Ferry which goes back-and-forth to a nearby Oil platform (6-7 blocks away). It certainly covers the 50-day limit...

Anyway, thanks for the input on this.
-----
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

There may be one more reason for the lack of response to the station service. If the station label is not near city buildings, the city doesn't see that station. In this case, the city will not even grow.
Attachments
Impact of station label position.png
(541.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

LaChupacabra wrote: 25 May 2023 14:14If the station label is not near city buildings
Yup, i know. When i build a train station, i also build both a bus and a truck station near the middle of the town, which are linked to the train station, so there is no chance of that. Perhaps it has something to do with the size of the town, because after it passed the 5000 people limit, it started rising normally...
-----
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

LaChupacabra wrote: 25 May 2023 14:14 There may be one more reason for the lack of response to the station service. If the station label is not near city buildings, the city doesn't see that station. In this case, the city will not even grow.
WRONG!!!!!

As I said in the other thread about getting a desert town to grow, the station name label is only related to where the 1st tile of the station was built.
If you click on any of the station tiles to bring up the station information window, then click on the 'Coverage' button, you'll see the area served by the station.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

skc wrote: 26 May 2023 02:32 WRONG!!!!!
Before you start shouting, check what is being said, because what you write is just nonsense. ;)
Jubilee wrote: 25 May 2023 14:41
LaChupacabra wrote: 25 May 2023 14:14If the station label is not near city buildings
Yup, i know. When i build a train station, i also build both a bus and a truck station near the middle of the town, which are linked to the train station, so there is no chance of that. Perhaps it has something to do with the size of the town, because after it passed the 5000 people limit, it started rising normally...
I suppose everything, train station, port, airport and stops are one station. Correct? So... Extending the range of the station with additional stops, ports, etc. won't do anything, what matters is the location of the label - there must be a sufficient number of buildings of this city near it, otherwise the station will not matter to the city.
The size of the city doesn't matter either. Why suddenly the city began to see this station is probably related to the fact that the city itself expanded and there were enough buildings within the range of the label.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

LaChupacabra wrote: 26 May 2023 14:14I suppose everything, train station, port, airport and stops are one station. Correct?
Yes, that's right.
LaChupacabra wrote: 26 May 2023 14:14 So... Extending the range of the station with additional stops, ports, etc. won't do anything, what matters is the location of the label - there must be a sufficient number of buildings of this city near it, otherwise the station will not matter to the city.
!!!!! That's a surprise. You're saying that if an airport is created first, in the middle of nowhere, and then a truck station is added to it (but actually lies inside the city), those two stations (actually that one big station) do not affect the rating of the user, until the city expands and houses are built near the airport?
-----
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

where the houses are is completely irrelevant
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

For authority rating calculation town only considers stations that have their signs within town zone 0.
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

_dp_ wrote: 26 May 2023 17:43 For authority rating calculation town only considers stations that have their signs within town zone 0.
Yup, that's right, however, if there is a station within the zone and another one outsize the zone and they are connected, forming one large station, is this considered within the zone? Does it matter which station was created first (in or out of the zone)?
-----
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

how often do we need to tell you, a station is where the station sign is. it is irrelevant where any part of the station is.

(in most cases it's the part of the station that was created first)
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

Eddi wrote: 26 May 2023 19:25 (in most cases it's the part of the station that was created first)
OK, that's what i understood at some point but (maybe it wasn't clear enough) i wanted exactly that confirmation. Thanks.
-----
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Jubilee wrote: 26 May 2023 18:06 Yup, that's right, however, if there is a station within the zone and another one outsize the zone and they are connected, forming one large station, is this considered within the zone? Does it matter which station was created first (in or out of the zone)?
That's also something I'd be interested in.

Assume, for example, I place a bus station next to the city center as indicated by the sign and then create a linked train station further away - does this still count as within the inner zone? My naive guess, without knowledge of the code, would be yes - but is this correct.

But what happens if I do it the other way round - first build the train station some distance from the city then and then creact a linked bus stop close to the city center?!?
Jubilee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jubilee »

ebla71 wrote: 26 May 2023 20:02But what happens if I do it the other way round - first build the train station some distance from the city then and then creact a linked bus stop close to the city center?!?
After Eddi's confirmation, it seems that the station will not have an effect in the company's rating at this town. The game considers it as "away from the town's coverage zone".
-----
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Eddi wrote: 26 May 2023 16:41 where the houses are is completely irrelevant
From the player's point of view, it's very related. In the vast majority of situations, when building a station with a label away from houses, such a station will be invisible to the city. So houses are very relevant here.
To be clear, in the ordinary version of the game there is no reference other than houses for proper station label placement.
_dp_ wrote: 26 May 2023 17:43 For authority rating calculation town only considers stations that have their signs within town zone 0.
Honestly, I didn't know about it. This doesn't change the fact that the principle I followed always worked, so I didn't need a deeper explanation. :)
ebla71 wrote: 26 May 2023 20:02 But what happens if I do it the other way round - first build the train station some distance from the city then and then creact a linked bus stop close to the city center?!?
As dp wrote and as Eddie wrote.
From the game's point of view, a station is where its label is and the city considers that station if it is in one of the city's zones. You won't see the zones in the ordinary version of the game, therefore, in simple terms, the station should be built so that the label is close to the buildings. If you want to see the city zones, you need to use City Mania version for that (you can download it here: https://citymania.org/downloads). Then you will see this...
Stations (their labels!) must be located in one of the colored zones of the city. Otherwise, as on this screenshot, they will have no impact on the city's development or the company's rating.
Attachments
City zones.png
(760.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “General OpenTTD”