Plane crashes and reliability.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Plane crashes and reliability.

Post by mauried »

Is ther a relationship between a planes reliability factor and the frequency of how often the plane will crash?
Some of the planes have a 100% reliability but still crash.
Reason for asking is that Im playing a multiplayer game with 4 players, and one of the players has a very high crash rate for airplanes compared to the other 3 ,even though hes using planes with the highest available reliability.
The accident rate for plane crashes is set to normal.
All players are using the same style of airport, city airports.
Also is it possible for helicopters or balloon type Airships to crash?
Tnx
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Plane crashes and reliability.

Post by Redirect Left »

mauried wrote: 06 May 2023 23:29 Is ther a relationship between a planes reliability factor and the frequency of how often the plane will crash?
Not to my knowledge, all planes have a small chance of crashing each time they land (about 0.07%, according to the manual). However large aircraft landing at a small airport have a much higher risk of crashing (5%).
It sounds like one user is just having bad luck, you could disable crashes, but if you do disable crashes, small airports will always incur a crash chance penalty to larger aircraft, it's one of those "not what it says on the tin" settings.

Due to randomness, you could have 1 billion aircraft land 1 billion times, and all 1 billion of them crash, (unless the game adds a time penalty between crashes, i don't know the code for it), the chance of that happening is of course basically zero, but not entirely zero. It is possible that purely down to luck (bad luck at that), one user is incurring more random crashes than the others.

I personally have never had a helicopter crash, now that might be due to good luck or me not paying attention, or it might be non-crashable in the code.

edit: I looked at the code, and from my limited understanding of the code, it doesn't crash helicopters unless all landing places are deleted (which crashes all aircraft anyway). I might be very wrong though, it's a very quick skim reach of just one file of aircraft related code, and I'm not familiar with the whole OTTD code, i just had time to skim read brief amounts of crash related stuff.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks.
Any idea of what the plane reliability factor actually does , if anything.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

mauried wrote: 07 May 2023 01:40 Any idea of what the plane reliability factor actually does , if anything.
Reliability affects breakdowns. For planes, it causes them to slow down, rather than crash. Every other vehicle stops moving on a breakdown i think.
If you have them enabled, the manual states a breakdown may also cause a small ufo disaster, and the ufo crashes into the vehicle, as aliens haven't mastered the art of safely landing a broken UFO.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”