Train is Lost

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SCE
Engineer
Engineer

Train is Lost

Post by SCE »

I typically play by myself on 256x256 maps. When I get to a certain point in the game though, many of my trains start getting lost if they have to travel long distances. Most all of my tracks are joined together. Is there a setting I need to change to prevent this from happening?

Thanks in advance!
sce
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Train is Lost

Post by ebla71 »

SCE wrote: 26 Apr 2023 19:42 I typically play by myself on 256x256 maps. When I get to a certain point in the game though, many of my trains start getting lost if they have to travel long distances. Most all of my tracks are joined together. Is there a setting I need to change to prevent this from happening?
Place waypoints after key branch points where trains tend to go the wrong way - they can be assigned in the schedule like stations but trains don't stop there.
SCE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SCE »

ebla71 wrote: 26 Apr 2023 20:21
SCE wrote: 26 Apr 2023 19:42 I typically play by myself on 256x256 maps. When I get to a certain point in the game though, many of my trains start getting lost if they have to travel long distances. Most all of my tracks are joined together. Is there a setting I need to change to prevent this from happening?
Place waypoints after key branch points where trains tend to go the wrong way - they can be assigned in the schedule like stations but trains don't stop there.
Thanks. I'll give that a try!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

check your depots. sometimes trains go to a depot, and when they come out, they cannot reach their original destinations anymore. this may occur on taking a wrong branch line, or when passing a station to get to a depot further down the line. in both cases it may be difficult to find the way back.

you can solve that by either placing explicit service orders in your order lists, or rebuilding your network to make it easier to get out of a depot in all directions.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

SCE wrote: 26 Apr 2023 21:35
ebla71 wrote: 26 Apr 2023 20:21
Thanks. I'll give that a try!
This will not solve the issue and might even make it worse if you change your network and forget to move a waypoint. The game is smart enough to find a route if it exists regardless of length, the problem is that there are points in your network from which it cannot find a route to complete the order. That can be because of trains going to depots and cannot find a route after that as Eddi suggests, parts of your network not being electrified while running electric trains or just missing links from one order to the next (like stations where trains can use multiple platforms from one entry but not all platforms having the same exits).

Easiest way for us to help you is by posting a save or screenshot of your situation.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
SCE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SCE »

This seems to be a common issue for me when I've been playing a game for a long time, and the map is incredibly populated. I notice that the trains that have the issue first, are some of them that have the longest routes. As I add more trains, the problem gets more and more prevalent.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Another cause of this problem is one way signals which are fine if the train simply has to go from station A to Station B , but if along the way the train deviates off the route to go to a Depot for maintenance, it may be not possible to go back as its now blocked by a one way signal, and theres no alternative route for the route finder available.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”