Newbie looking for minimap usability; general upscaling/higher res

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

shockeroo
Engineer
Engineer

Newbie looking for minimap usability; general upscaling/higher res

Post by shockeroo »

Hello, I'm totally new to the game and the forum, played for an hour and read through the forum rules quickly.

My main complaint with the game is the teeny-tiny filter boxes on the minimap which I have to strain and squint to see and click. I am wondering if there is a single well-known graphical upgrade that addresses this and possibly generally upgrades the graphics.

If I have missed some easy way to search for such a thing I will happily take advice in how to better navigate the forum or such "mods" (sorry, I know that is not the preferred term!)

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Newbie looking for minimap usability; general upscaling/higher res

Post by skc »

shockeroo wrote: 29 Mar 2023 04:15 Hello, I'm totally new to the game and the forum, played for an hour and read through the forum rules quickly.

My main complaint with the game is the teeny-tiny filter boxes on the minimap which I have to strain and squint to see and click. I am wondering if there is a single well-known graphical upgrade that addresses this and possibly generally upgrades the graphics.

If I have missed some easy way to search for such a thing I will happily take advice in how to better navigate the forum or such "mods" (sorry, I know that is not the preferred term!)

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
Welcome to the world of OpenTTD.

Unfortunately, the small fonts are somewhat of a bugbear for anyone with large, high-res monitors. However, the default settings are not likely to change due to the stated purpose of OpenTTD, which essentially is to remain as faithful to TT and/or TTD as possible.
You can change the interface size/scaling setting with v13 of OpenTTD (which is the one you should be running if you've just started playing).
You can also change the fonts and their sizing, by manually editing a configuration file.
shockeroo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Newbie looking for minimap usability; general upscaling/higher res

Post by shockeroo »

Thank you; editing the cfg file was what I needed. Setting larger fonts instantly fixed my GUI bugbear and made the map much more usable.

For the benefit of any future Me in this situation, it's openttd.cfg and I used these settings I found on Reddit:

small_font = Liberation Sans Narrow
medium_font = Liberation Sans
large_font = Liberation Serif
small_size = 16
medium_size = 20
large_size = 32
small_aa = true
medium_aa = true
large_aa = true
mono_font =
mono_size = 0
mono_aa = false

(Liberation font family is free to download, or substitute fonts of your choice!)

Return to “Graphics Development”