[JGR] IBERIA 8192x8192

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Project Iberia 8k

Post by ebla71 »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 09:59
jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 09:56 Is there any sort of city counter where I can check it ?
I don't know. My counting way is very time-consuming, by using Town List in alphabetical order, dragging the window to the bottom, firstly counting how many towns in one screen, then counting how many screens...
I fully agree - in particular for very large real-world scenarios, it would be super-helpful if the number of towns would be shown at the bottom of the "Towns" list together with the "World population", either in one line or two lines - and both in the Scenario editor as well as the actual running game.

show_number_of_towns.png
(926.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 12:35

So proud how Basque Country looks :D
How far north do you plan to go? It would be cool to also have Bordeaux and Toulouse at the top edge of the map for trans-Pyreneean lines.

Recently saw, for example, how they work to refurbish the Canfranc station and re-open the line into France to Pau on the Toulouse-Bayonne line:

Also would really love if Mallorca is included with the somewhat unexpected train network for an island.
Attachments
canfranc.png
canfranc.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1921 times
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

ebla71 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 15:57
jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 12:35

So proud how Basque Country looks :D
How far north do you plan to go? It would be cool to also have Bordeaux and Toulouse at the top edge of the map for trans-Pyreneean lines.

Recently saw, for example, how they work to refurbish the Canfranc station and re-open the line into France to Pau on the Toulouse-Bayonne line:

Also would really love if Mallorca is included with the somewhat unexpected train network for an island.
Balear islands will be definitely included as they are in the map, France is my last priority but yes, I would like to fill the entire map
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

More updates! Spain is 75% done, I've started detailing some rivers and major cities:

Bonus! @ebla71 experimenting with the Canfranc-Pau line! :D

Attachments
screenshot#36.png
(368.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#37.png
(320.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#38.png
(504.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jerby666 wrote: 27 Mar 2023 16:44 More updates! Spain is 75% done, I've started detailing some rivers and major cities

Bonus! @ebla71 experimenting with the Canfranc-Pau line! :D

Thank you very much - looking forward to build track widing up there towards the Col du Somport tunnel :D

The terrain really looks beautiful, very smooth but with key features clearly visible.

BTW, on the French side, not far from Pau is Lourdes, which is also a popular train destination due to the sanctuary ...
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

Well I'm so proud to present you the first version of my scenario! Spain is finished but still needs a lot of polish, however I'll upload so you can test it and give me some feedback.

NEWGRF:
https://ttdistas.es/files/spainsetw.grf
https://ttdistas.es/files/feve.grf
https://ttdistas.es/files/speedrails.grf

Some screenshots of my test game:

Madrid Cercanias system.

Attachments
Jones & Co., 2029-11-25.png
(189.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Jones & Co., 2029-12-09.png
(1.1 MiB) Not downloaded yet
SPAIN 8k (No ind).scn
(16.66 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [JGR] IBERIA 8192x8192

Post by Argus »

I don't understand why there is such an old version of FIRS, but so be it, your choice. It can't be changed now. :(
I love playing the game scenarios, but I really hate having to maintain old versions of the graphics for them. :(
It is a great pity that the development of the Spanish train set has stopped, the taster set is unfinished and not very successful.
Otherwise, I probably have nothing to complain about at first glance, maybe just - I don't like such late starts, the start is too easy.
There are two Portuguese train sets, but apparently only for passenger trains.
And Portuguese buses can also be downloaded in the game.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 11 Apr 2023 13:19 I don't understand why there is such an old version of FIRS, but so be it, your choice. It can't be changed now. :(
I love playing the game scenarios, but I really hate having to maintain old versions of the graphics for them. :(
It's really a pity that a scenario cannot at least be loaded to the scenario editor and then easily "cleaned" with a single button from all industry-related features.

But it's a regular problems in particular with industry NewGRFs, as there are some that are rather old but still working well, while newer ones are appealing but often not completely developed or at least not trusted enough, at least in my taste.

I also face this with my Hamburg scenario where I will use XIS since it provides the best balance of what I want to show industry-wise.
Argus wrote: 11 Apr 2023 13:19 Otherwise, I probably have nothing to complain about at first glance, maybe just - I don't like such late starts, the start is too easy.
You should be able to adjust the starting date either in the scenario editor by just clicking on the date in the center of the menue bar before starting the actual game or in-game from "the special menue" via STRG-ALT-C in the "Change date" option 8) Although this is somewhat discouraged, I regularly use it in running games "to turn back the time" if I want to stay in a certain epoche and it has never crashed in my hands in like a couple of years of doing so.

screenshot#1.png
(201.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jerby666 wrote: 02 Apr 2023 17:24 Well I'm so proud to present you the first version of my scenario! Spain is finished but still needs a lot of polish, however I'll upload so you can test it and give me some feedback.
Looks really nice, I like it.

Just one suggestion - could you maybe switch off "tree growth" completely by default?

Otherwise, the whole map will quickly be overgrown with a "jungle" and this does not apply to good parts of Spain - I recall some 1960s and 1970s Western movies actually recorded in the south or central since it looks so much like US southwest desert.

The option is in the Settings :arrow: Environment option under "In game placement of trees" with "Don't grow, don't spread"

Instead, you can kind of "spray-can" trees from the Trees option as either Grove or Forest in the proper regions and then make that placement permanent.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Just set the tree growth to "extremely slow" - I've never had a map get completely overgrown with this setting.
By the way, which industrial sets are unfinished?¨
Sure, NAIS costs development, but otherwise all majors are developing.
And what exactly do you mean by untrustworthy?
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 12 Apr 2023 09:14 Just set the tree growth to "extremely slow" - I've never had a map get completely overgrown with this setting.
It still adds trees in a random fashion, though.

Unless you use the lumber mill (or logging camp?) feature, which in my games does not make any sense, I just find the changing trees simply annoying, as they tend to pop up whereever I don't want them, as I want to focus on industry and city development and building networks.
Argus wrote: 12 Apr 2023 09:14 By the way, which industrial sets are unfinished?¨
Sure, NAIS costs development, but otherwise all majors are developing.
And what exactly do you mean by untrustworthy?
With "untrustworthy" I didn't mean that sets tend to crash or otherwise are not reliable - but that none of those I looked at seem to be finally complete for a long-term game. And with "long-term" I mean at least one year - in "real life", not game years :D

Some seem to have small bugs which do not interfere with general gameplay but still look a bit annoying to me while others see continous upgrades, which is generally nice, but there never seems to be a version stable enough not to wait for another interesting feature to be added.

In the end, XIS to me appears to be the best combination of features that I want for my games.

But that's the nice thing that OTTD offers plenty of options for you to change, depending on your preferences.

It's only that the current game really makes it difficult for players to change industry sets in scenarios even before the actual start of a game.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Firs 3 in the "extreme" setting is also not bad. In fact, XIS is based on this very economy.
And unlike Firs 2 or this version 1.44, Firs 3 is somewhat better. Yes, Firs 1.44 still works, but it has some flaws that are missing in later versions.
In fact, I think this early version is much worse for long-term play than the newer versions.
Of course this is just my opinion, based on my experience with different builds of FIRS, I could be wrong, after all, our playstyles can be quite different.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 12 Apr 2023 11:31 Firs 3 in the "extreme" setting is also not bad. In fact, XIS is based on this very economy.
And unlike Firs 2 or this version 1.44, Firs 3 is somewhat better. Yes, Firs 1.44 still works, but it has some flaws that are missing in later versions.
In fact, I think this early version is much worse for long-term play than the newer versions.
Of course this is just my opinion, based on my experience with different builds of FIRS, I could be wrong, after all, our playstyles can be quite different.
FIRS 3 is really nice, but none of the economies really match the scenarios that I like to play - which is usually very large "real-world" European-themed ones. Here, I want both the heavy industries as well as more modern "chemical industries" but also the agricultural ones.

So Tropic Basic and Hot Country obviously don't match, the same for Arctic Basic. Temperate Basic is, well, too basic :lol: Steeltown lacks the agricultural industries and FIRS extreme does not feature the "port industries" that allow you to get mineral ressources from harbours instead of mining.

That's one of the reasons I tend to stick to XIS since it allows to "simulate" mineral/ore industry chains via the harbour/terminal industries. Some have critizised those as cargo "magically" appearing out of nowhere but in particular the Hamburg scenario it just fits perfectly well, if you have enough imagination that the further supply line of ore or coal shipped from overseas is there but just "not showing" 8)

But in the end, it is probably like with everything, five people, six opinions :lol:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Speaking of which, the Hot Land is kind of weird because there is no fishing there for some odd reason, yet people in those areas do a lot of fishing for a living. Rather, it will correspond to the hinterland.
However, the economy of Firs 1.44 is just too basic.It does not fully correspond to temperate or arctic basic, but it is also quite simple.
Of course, even if I immediately threw it out and put XIS in there, the game would be ruined. And even if no factory has been built yet. :(
In short, there is no turning back once an author decides on an industry. It could be worse if author put Firs 0.75 there :D
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 12 Apr 2023 13:07 In short, there is no turning back once an author decides on an industry.
Well, I think if you open a file in the scenario editor before starting any game at all, you can delete all industries from the map, then remove the industry NewGRF and then add a different one without issues. But it is essential to first fully remove all industries present - otherwise will have unpredictable effects.

At least that's what worked for me with one of the "Switzerland" scenarios which originally had ECS as the industry set but I could "clean" the map and then set things up again with XIS.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I have better game scenarios played out now, I don't want to risk it because of one slightly unsuccessful one :wink:
I have this version of Firs anyway because of Balsiefen's excellent game scenarios, so it doesn't matter that much. I'm just amazed that in 2023 someone would put such a prehistory into the game :D But maybe when I'm in the mood to experiment I'll save a backup outside and give it a try :wink: In addition, I have already started one game in it. :)
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

ebla71 wrote: 11 Apr 2023 21:45
jerby666 wrote: 02 Apr 2023 17:24 Well I'm so proud to present you the first version of my scenario! Spain is finished but still needs a lot of polish, however I'll upload so you can test it and give me some feedback.
Looks really nice, I like it.

Just one suggestion - could you maybe switch off "tree growth" completely by default?

Otherwise, the whole map will quickly be overgrown with a "jungle" and this does not apply to good parts of Spain - I recall some 1960s and 1970s Western movies actually recorded in the south or central since it looks so much like US southwest desert.

The option is in the Settings :arrow: Environment option under "In game placement of trees" with "Don't grow, don't spread"

Instead, you can kind of "spray-can" trees from the Trees option as either Grove or Forest in the proper regions and then make that placement permanent.

I'll check it! As I said before there is still a margin to develop the scenario. I'll experiment with those settings for sure.

Regarding the industry that's why I upload a non-industry scenario. I think it is safe to remove the Newgrf and play with alternative ones.

Towns are in the vast majority small sized so they shouldn't grow too much, but yes these are the kind of things I still have to test.

Thanks for the feedback
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Ok, I tried taking a risk and it worked. However, there are two factories left in the scenario at the beginning, I recommend removing them immediately.
That doesn't explain why FIRS has to be there. In my experience changing the industry is the least risky when there is no industrial newgrf in the scenario and absolutely no industry is placed, not even the smallest farm.
On a final note, even though the factories from XIS were loading fine, I didn't wait for the whole string and see if everything was correct. Something can still pop up during the game that kicks people off.
Try the Alpine Region scenario, one version has Firs 3, the other XIS. The author apparently forgot something when changing the industry... And the version with XIS does not work properly.
If you are already releasing a version without industry, it is necessary that it is not really there. If there is a graphic in the list, the graphic is probably already loaded.
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

Argus wrote: 12 Apr 2023 17:49 Ok, I tried taking a risk and it worked. However, there are two factories left in the scenario at the beginning, I recommend removing them immediately.
That doesn't explain why FIRS has to be there. In my experience changing the industry is the least risky when there is no industrial newgrf in the scenario and absolutely no industry is placed, not even the smallest farm.
On a final note, even though the factories from XIS were loading fine, I didn't wait for the whole string and see if everything was correct. Something can still pop up during the game that kicks people off.
Try the Alpine Region scenario, one version has Firs 3, the other XIS. The author apparently forgot something when changing the industry... And the version with XIS does not work properly.
If you are already releasing a version without industry, it is necessary that it is not really there. If there is a graphic in the list, the graphic is probably already loaded.
I didn't notice these two farms. They are removed now for the next update :bow:
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

Update!

New version uploaded in the OP. Some rivers have been redetailed again, many towns population adjusted and I've started to place portuguese cities.

Some screenshots of the Portugal progress.

Lisbon area

Southern Portugal progress:

Attachments
screenshot#40.png
(157.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#39.png
(149.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”