OpenGFX Extra Zoom

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX Extra Zoom

Post by Zephyris »

I've been testing them with Pineapple Trains (10CC), and it looks really good. Admittedly, that set really tries to match the style of the original TTD graphics, so that's not a huge surprise..
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

Looking good so far!

This really does a better job of transferring the original "look and feel" to the higher zoom levels, than the 32bpp Extra Zoom Project or zBase could.
(And if this gets completed, I'll no longer be sad that the 32bpp Extra Zoom Project was abandoned...)

Some small glitches of course, as you said (such as road and rail tiles using a different grass than the surrounding terrain tiles, and Maglev level crossings being misaligned):

I think the sun-facing slopes of sub-arctic grass look very nice (nicer than in OpenGFX):

The level tiles of the same grass are a bit dark and "greyish", though. Also, the snow tiles facing away from the sun look a bit strange, with the blue blotches:

Attachments
opengfx_ez_rails.png
Screenshot of the different rail types
(527.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
opengfx_ez_subarctic_grass.png.png
Screenshot of sub-arctic grass
(961.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
opengfx_ez_snow.png
Screenshot of snow
(614.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

Oh, and in my opinion the desert tiles in sub-tropical climate are too beige and desaturated:

Moving away from the original bright orange color might not be a bad idea, but this is a bit too far in the other direction... :wink:

PS: Also, are the town buildings you showed earlier in this thread available for download as well, or are they not coded yet?
Attachments
opengfx_ez_desert.png
Screenshot of desert
(448.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I've done some more work on the terrain tiles, I think I've fixed a lot of the things you didn't like. Also, I have coded the buildings, but I haven't drawn the ground tiles yet. I got a bit distracted buy drawing houses for an extra zoom version of my UK town set...
Attachments
OpenGFX_EZ_Towns.grf
(156.18 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
OpenGFX_EZ_Landscape.grf
(21.81 MiB) Downloaded 342 times
MarkJor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkJor »

Would it be possible to get this as a static NewGRF?
I play most of my games online on citybuilding servers and would like to be able to enjoy this online as well!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

... a trial.
Attachments
OpenGFX_EZ_VehDemo.grf
(26.08 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
coallorrytrial.png
coallorrytrial.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
generation1_coal_empty_8bpp.png
generation1_coal_empty_8bpp.png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Most of this is now up on github, https://github.com/zephyris/opengfx2

Help always appreciated... Its well set up for easy terrain and building sprites in particular.
ArmoredPony
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ArmoredPony »

Zephyris wrote: 26 Mar 2023 10:05 Most of this is now up on github, https://github.com/zephyris/opengfx2
How to build this on Windows?.. I have ports of sh and bash in my system and python with all the modules installed, but it just won't work. It crashes with whatever this error is:

Code: Select all

0 [main] sh.exe" 5228 sync_with_child: child 3628(0x1E4) died before initialization with 
status code 0xC0000142
    181 [main] sh.exe" 5228 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
./make_all.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
May be there are prebuilt newgrfs somewhere?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

No idea I'm afraid. I'm using Windows subsystem for Linux, which works perfectly, if you want to try that.
I've put the trial grfs here: viewtopic.php?p=1259747#p1259747 (updating OpenGFX and adding extra zooms are related challenges :) )
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

A beta is available from the github: https://github.com/zephyris/opengfx2/re ... /v0.1-beta
You'll want opengfx2_32ez.tar for the extra zoom sprites.

Please test and let me know what you think! If you spot any bugs then bug reports on the github page are very appreciated :)
makar0niasty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by makar0niasty »

Zephyris wrote: 07 Jul 2023 13:19 A beta is available from the github: https://github.com/zephyris/opengfx2/re ... /v0.1-beta
You'll want opengfx2_32ez.tar for the extra zoom sprites.

Please test and let me know what you think! If you spot any bugs then bug reports on the github page are very appreciated :)
Looks amazing so far! And that streamlined logo is awesome, perhaps the most important feature of this set ;)
Skarfester
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skarfester »

This base set looks promising! (I'm using the 32bpp-EZ version). The subtropical is my favourite so far but, to be honest, I find the subarctic a bit painful to watch due to all the dotted snow (see attachment).
The ogfx2_settings newgrf doesn't appear in my list, though. I'm using OpenTTD 13.0.
Attachments
ogfx2.png
(275.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dennis007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dennis007 »

Works great and is looking good.
Some buildings are not 32bpp but its a work in progress.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I appreciate the options to go gridless, or add grids to water. Very well done!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Skarfester wrote: 07 Jul 2023 19:11 This base set looks promising! (I'm using the 32bpp-EZ version). The subtropical is my favourite so far but, to be honest, I find the subarctic a bit painful to watch due to all the dotted snow (see attachment).
The ogfx2_settings newgrf doesn't appear in my list, though. I'm using OpenTTD 13.0.
I'll have a think about the snow... there's quite a few constraints on the design, including good behaviour on zoom out and palette restricting colour choices... Re. the settings grf, I guess a grf ID clash is the most likely issue? Or you put it in the baseset instead of the newgrf directory by accident :)
kamnet wrote: 08 Jul 2023 19:36 I appreciate the options to go gridless, or add grids to water. Very well done!
Thanks, just need support for base set parameters to handle it more elegantly now!
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Zephyris wrote: 09 Jul 2023 19:23 I'll have a think about the snow... there's quite a few constraints on the design, including good behaviour on zoom out and palette restricting colour choices...
It is rarely used, but you can also have dedicated sprites for zoom out and not just for zoom in. The extra zoom support goes both ways.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Good point. I'll have a think about that one. I suspect the arctic snow transition is worthy of some custom love.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Version 0.1 is up, the first version that's essentially bug free and non beta.

Download from github for now... Bananas didn't agree with me. https://github.com/zephyris/opengfx2/releases/tag/v0.1

*edit* Now available in the in game content downloader!
Last edited by Zephyris on 27 Aug 2023 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Very nice, liking it so far. A few things that I've noticed:
  • The coal mine, gold mine, and copper ore mine have non-static pixels on the lift buildings(?) during the animation phase, I guess because the texture was randomised differently for each animation frame
  • The water tiles (both sea and river) have some non-animated blue pixels
  • There's something not quite right with the toffee quarry. Moving the screen from side to side makes part of it go invisible (seems to be regardless of zoom level), but toggling bounding boxes stops that happening. Not sure what's going on there
  • The bubbles from the bubble generator don't seem to line up with the towers they're supposed to be coming from
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks buttercup. The jittery pixels in the mine animations is a known issue, I've got a plan to fix it. The non animated pixels in the water is deliberate because it makes it 'flash' less when zommed out.

I'm not sure about the toyland industries... Tested less than the other climates, and sounds like a weird bounding box/redraw issue. Could you do a bug report on the github, that'll make it goes on my to do list!

Return to “Graphics Development”