[32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wyndbain
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Post by wyndbain »

Ivanzon wrote: 02 Mar 2023 16:17 The point with CZTR (dead or not) is that at the moment it's the only extrazoom rail available... but maybe someone will do another Euro style track set, with extrazoom German signals
I'm sorry but this simply is not true, there are numerous other Rendered sets like CZTR (chinese trains springs to mind).

GETS is an extrazoom set that works well with timberwolfs trains and track sets as they are all made and produced in the same way. There is no possible way you could make GETS work with CZTR and other non EZ sets without creating a whole host of issues and a whole host of extra workload for garlic. It isn't feasable to work GETS into the CZTR system in CZTR's current development state.

As for the question of GETS not working with Standardzoom OTTD sets that can easily be solved by forcing 1x sprites as previously mentioned, the 3 images below are allignment tests I did with the CS set and PolishTrains3.0 (ignore the extrazoom GETS loks couldn't be arsed to set up SZ). These are the allignments that work with GETS currently, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

PS: sorry for the rant but this point needed to be made clear
Attachments
image1.png
image1.png (24.35 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
image2.png
image2.png (95.75 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
image3.png
image3.png (78.37 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Come join the OpenTTD official Discord!!! https://discord.gg/openttd

Image Image

Screenshot of the month winner: September 2022
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

wyndbain wrote: 02 Mar 2023 23:10
Ivanzon wrote: 02 Mar 2023 16:17 The point with CZTR (dead or not) is that at the moment it's the only extrazoom rail available... but maybe someone will do another Euro style track set, with extrazoom German signals
I'm sorry but this simply is not true, there are numerous other Rendered sets like CZTR (chinese trains springs to mind).

GETS is an extrazoom set that works well with timberwolfs trains and track sets as they are all made and produced in the same way. There is no possible way you could make GETS work with CZTR and other non EZ sets without creating a whole host of issues and a whole host of extra workload for garlic. It isn't feasable to work GETS into the CZTR system in CZTR's current development state.

As for the question of GETS not working with Standardzoom OTTD sets that can easily be solved by forcing 1x sprites as previously mentioned, the 3 images below are allignment tests I did with the CS set and PolishTrains3.0 (ignore the extrazoom GETS loks couldn't be arsed to set up SZ). These are the allignments that work with GETS currently, I don't see this changing anytime soon.

PS: sorry for the rant but this point needed to be made clear

Of course, there are more train sets that are rendered similarly to CZTR (e.g. also Russian sets). But I've tried different types of tracks, and sorry, but even Timberwolf tracks are not as good as CZTR. I'm not saying that all sets should be redone now. But let everyone ride what they want. GETS trains are a bit narrower, but it's not that serious a drawback. The important thing is that it looks better than other tracks.
Perhaps you could make your own tracks, which would perhaps be at a better level than CZTR. Mmch, the set is not completely dead, development continues, albeit slowly, but continues. However, it is focused exclusively on Czech means, both trains, cars and trams.

I wish you a nice day!
2023-03-01_001_Německé vlaky.jpg
vlaky GETS
(492 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2023-03-01_002_vlaky CZTR a další.jpg
vlaky CZTR, Trains 2CC, Chinese Trains, Russian
(518.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wyndbain
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wyndbain »

belgi wrote: 03 Mar 2023 10:20 Of course, there are more train sets that are rendered similarly to CZTR (e.g. also Russian sets). But I've tried different types of tracks, and sorry, but even Timberwolf tracks are not as good as CZTR. I'm not saying that all sets should be redone now. But let everyone ride what they want. GETS trains are a bit narrower, but it's not that serious a drawback. The important thing is that it looks better than other tracks.
Perhaps you could make your own tracks, which would perhaps be at a better level than CZTR. Mmch, the set is not completely dead, development continues, albeit slowly, but continues. However, it is focused exclusively on Czech means, both trains, cars and trams.

I wish you a nice day!
The problem is we cannot make GETS work with CZTR, this is not a possibility currently.

We could maybe do a trackset but again that would be a long way away and we do not want to overstreach ourselves.

The topic of working GETS into the CZTR system should be closed affik since the same questions have been asked time after time and the same answers given, tho it may be frustrating it is not a possibility. I think both garlic and me would appriciate if people stop asking for it.
Come join the OpenTTD official Discord!!! https://discord.gg/openttd

Image Image

Screenshot of the month winner: September 2022
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

wyndbain wrote: 03 Mar 2023 15:56
belgi wrote: 03 Mar 2023 10:20 Of course, there are more train sets that are rendered similarly to CZTR (e.g. also Russian sets). But I've tried different types of tracks, and sorry, but even Timberwolf tracks are not as good as CZTR. I'm not saying that all sets should be redone now. But let everyone ride what they want. GETS trains are a bit narrower, but it's not that serious a drawback. The important thing is that it looks better than other tracks.

I wish you a nice day!
The problem is we cannot make GETS work with CZTR, this is not a possibility currently.

We could maybe do a trackset but again that would be a long way away and we do not want to overstreach ourselves.

The topic of working GETS into the CZTR system should be closed affik since the same questions have been asked time after time and the same answers given, tho it may be frustrating it is not a possibility. I think both garlic and me would appriciate if people stop asking for it.
I have personally tested that GETS works with CZTR without problems, so there is no need to modify anything. I'm not even asking anyone for that.

It rather strikes me that the excellent GETS trains do not have similarly excellent tracks. Dot. And I won't dwell on it anymore. It's just a game I want to have fun with. But I won't listen that it can't be done when it's obviously possible.

Have a nice day!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I've personally used both CZTR and GETS together and I don't see a problem with it. It's just that some are whining because of a few pixel difference :)
Yes, it looks a bit different, yes, you can't mix wagons, and some freight wagons just aren't in CZTR yet, especially in the early game. But I will use the German machine instead of ours, what if it wasn't for the years of communism, maybe we would see them much more often in our country because of the transit trains. Since when is openttd based on realism when in mild climates there is no snow in winter even at the highest altitudes?
The few differences between the kits are easy to spot and require no modification. Howgh and agree with wyndbaine and belgi.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

gentlemen, let's not pick on the details GETS is a great set in itself and as a Pole I don't have to play with Polish TrainSet 3 at all costs, which is made in the 8bpm standard, it doesn't bother me either I play with one or the other set
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

gravelpit wrote: 05 Mar 2023 18:01 gentlemen, let's not pick on the details GETS is a great set in itself and as a Pole I don't have to play with Polish TrainSet 3 at all costs, which is made in the 8bpm standard, it doesn't bother me either I play with one or the other set

Exactly! It's just a game!
But great!!!
I won't argue, just let everyone choose what they want to play with. I think there is a lot to choose from. ;-)

Have a nice day!
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

So, ladies and gentlemen, what's wrong here?
They are GETS trains, they run on CZTR tracks and the only defect is cosmetic. I also have a CZTR train pulling GETS wagons in reserve.
It's a game, it doesn't matter if these or those cars look badly connected or the train almost derails on another track. Let's not be detail-oriented, let's enjoy the game :)
And yes, I would easily add Chinese trains to that.
Attachments
Nelson & Co., 17. bře 1920.png
(1.41 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Nelson & Co., 17. bře 1920#2.png
(772.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Qamarsultan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Qamarsultan »

I tried new version of gets but it does not work on a regular openttd game.I tried even with no other grf except gets but there was always an error so I have to play the previous version 1.7
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Qamarsultan wrote: 12 Mar 2023 14:17 I tried new version of gets but it does not work on a regular openttd game.I tried even with no other grf except gets but there was always an error so I have to play the previous version 1.7
Are you running on OpenTTD 13.0?
Qamarsultan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Qamarsultan »

Its 12.2 and there is no other game version update on google playstore So I have the latest version of game
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Qamarsultan wrote: 14 Mar 2023 16:09 Its 12.2 and there is no other game version update on google playstore So I have the latest version of game
You'll need to wait for OpenTTD 13 to be released on Play store to use this version of GETS, due to new features that the NewGRF incorporates.
Qamarsultan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Qamarsultan »

GETS is not available on bananas anymore what happened Please reply me...
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

GETS is available on BaNaNaS. What OpenTTD-version do you run? The new version of GETS (0.2.0) is playable with OpenTTD 1.13 or JGRPP 0.51.x (or newer) only (as stated by the author).

[edit]: As I see after replying to your latest posting, you was notified about the incompatibility of the newest version of GETS and your game version. It is normal, that with a new version of a set its old versions become unavailable in BaNaNaS with the exception of loading a savegame, that needs an old version. Then – and only then – the old version will be downloaded from BaNaNaS to be available in this specific savegame.

Tschö, Auge
Qamarsultan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Qamarsultan »

There is no new update for normal open ttd or jgr on google playstore so may be there would be no update this year as I have read the post of developer of game so I suggest you to make gets compatible for lower versions otherwise those players who play on android phone will not be able to play with gets or they will have to use previous versions...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Qamarsultan wrote: 02 Apr 2023 15:13 There is no new update for normal open ttd or jgr on google playstore so may be there would be no update this year as I have read the post of developer of game so I suggest you to make gets compatible for lower versions otherwise those players who play on android phone will not be able to play with gets or they will have to use previous versions...
The current version of GETS uses new features only available in OpenTTD 13 or newer releases. It's not possible for it to include these new features as well as support older OpenTTD clients which do not support that feature.

Due to how the in-game content download service is set up, older clients are also blocked from downloading older versions of GETS if the newer version is available.

Perhaps it would be best if the previous version that worked with OpenTTD 12 would be uploaded here?
Qamarsultan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Qamarsultan »

I do not know how to upload file on this forum otherwise I have older version....
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Qamarsultan wrote: 02 Apr 2023 23:34
kamnet wrote: 02 Apr 2023 22:26 Perhaps it would be best if the previous version that worked with OpenTTD 12 would be uploaded here?
I do not know how to upload file on this forum otherwise I have older version....
This is no task for you but for the set author. It would be no problem to link to the Github-repository or its releases list instead, if and when the repository and its releases list would be up to date, but it isn't.

[edit]: I found the entry with the latest 0.1-release download link, that works with OpenTTD-versions before 1.13.

Tschö, Auge
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

Well, first of all: Sorry for not looking into that topic that long again - and in the same moment: Thanks to Kamnet and Auge for moderating/answering over here.
I'll promise to do better from now on.

So from top to bottom:

The version 0.2.0 onwards are not compatible with any version prior to OpenTTD 13.0 since they take advantage of the new variants feature.
Re-coding (as it has been suggested) would take tons of time - I've been busy for nearly a month re-coding the old version to 0.2.0, I'll definetly NOT do that with any new version.

Concerning the Github-repository: I do know most grf-authors host older versions on Github. Since the grf is rather big in filesize (0.1.7 has roughly 180 MB), and Github is limiting single-file size to a max of 100MB/file, this is currently not an option.
As Auge mentioned the release list: If i do something terribly wrong here, I'd appreciate a hint. May it be in terms of "proper versioning" or "Open Source software should be handled this and that way".

Last but not least, i've uploaded a copy of version 0.1.7 on here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

Please be aware, this is a private GoogleDrive, nothing appropriate. This is only ment to be a quick fix, i'll take care for a better solution on this in the next weeks.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Garlic_Bread42 wrote: 03 Apr 2023 17:34 Concerning the Github-repository: I do know most grf-authors host older versions on Github. Since the grf is rather big in filesize (0.1.7 has roughly 180 MB), and Github is limiting single-file size to a max of 100MB/file, this is currently not an option.
As Auge mentioned the release list: If i do something terribly wrong here, I'd appreciate a hint. May it be in terms of "proper versioning" or "Open Source software should be handled this and that way".
I didn't knew, that there is a limited file size on Github. But as far as I can see, this limitation does not affect releases. See therefore Github: about large files, especially the latest paragraph about putting lager files as assets to a release and the latest paragraph on Github: about releases where Github states "Each file included in a release must be under 2 GB. There is no limit on the total size of a release, nor bandwidth usage.".

Regarding the repository itself and the versions it would be nice if you keep the repository up to date. This means to commit changes to your repo and to push new commits to Github and to tag the commits, and to mark the commits that corresponds to the state of a new version with a tag and to push the tag to Github. That way the releases page on Github would not provide the releases but list the tags (i.e. v 0.1.7, v 0.2.0 and so on) and one would be able to download the sources as ZIP file or to checkout the tag commit in a cloned repository.

This would make it possible for external people to offer changes to an up to date state of your repository with a pull request.
Garlic_Bread42 wrote: 03 Apr 2023 17:34 Last but not least, i've uploaded a copy of version 0.1.7 on here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

Please be aware, this is a private GoogleDrive, nothing appropriate. This is only ment to be a quick fix, i'll take care for a better solution on this in the next weeks.
The download is already possible in this thread. So this is a nice addition but it is not absolutely necessary to provide an external download. 8)

Tschö, Auge

Return to “Graphics Development”