[OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 Development thread

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048

Post by Argus »

If anyone is having trouble finding Australian graphics, here is a maintained list
viewtopic.php?t=89180
Kudos to the author of the topic. :bow:
The latest linked versions should help.

Otherwise it looks like the trackless V4 set would be best, as it contains more early German trains, plus the other trains are very likely to appear frequently in Hamburg. Unfortunately, the Dreilander set doesn't start until 1960... :(
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Overview of early German trains from V4 :)
And grown up Harburg.
I didn't start Hamburg, there's no money for it.
It's still the older version, by the way. Beginnings are slow in tycoon, but even in the unfinished game scenario there is still work to be done.
Attachments
Green & Co., 10. kvě 1919.png
(170.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Green & Co., 13. srp 1919.png
(635.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 23 Feb 2023 10:32 And grown up Harburg.
I didn't start Hamburg, there's no money for it.
Thank you very much for your continued interest in this scenario. In the attachment is the latest version, now "landscaping" approximately 90% complete, only the city center of Hamburg itself missing. In particular notice a lot of development in the northeastern part (top left) with many new towns placed and extensive local road network. Hope to finish it before Eastern.

hamburg_v0.44.scn
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
current_status1_HH_scenario_v0.44.png
(142.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
current_status2_HH_scenario_v0.44.png
(160.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It's not there, but you can already see the outline. Chosen straight V4 train set. With the rails off.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

this looks really good! waiting for the finished version with some NewGRF suggestions :)
Klaasgras
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Klaasgras »

Really looking forward to seeing this finished!
Here, take a look a my screenshot thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59701
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Next time I will probably use the new SUV set, it has small trucks that are so good for transferring from trains to ships.... :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Hamburg scenario 2048x2048 now with full landscaping

Post by ebla71 »

Very happy to present to you the Hamburg scenario v0.50 now with landscaping complete :D

Some major features:
  • Real world 2048x2048 scenario
  • Includes Hamburg city center, the previously independent towns of Altona and Harburg, all the boroughs of Hamburg, and approximately 200 other settlements within about 40 km around Hamburg at the geographically correct locations
  • Waterways, lakes, and ponds at their real-world locations
  • All major paved roads drawn with the exception of multilane lane-separated motorways and autobahn since they would interfere with early (pre-1950s) games, but planum clearly visible
  • Railway right-of-way clearly indicated in the landscape as well as entries to subway tunnels
  • Many major additional features and locations indicated by markers
The only one compromise I had to make was due to the fact that standard OTTD does not allow tunnels under the sea and therefore the A7 Autobahn "Elbtunnel" has to be modelled as a bridge instead of the reald-world tunnel.

This scenario will later be uploaded to in-game content server as Hamburg_basic.scn

Warning: This scenario is aimed at experienced players who are able to make significant adjustments to in-game and NewGRF settings. Currently city growth is completely disabled as well as industry opening and closure, which are best done manually by switching the proper settings.

I have played around with the NewGRF settings and there are only five which are strictly required, since removing them will signficantly mess up the graphical appearance and you'd have to work over in particular the roads:
  • OpenGFX+ Landscape 1.1.2
  • OpenGFX+ Trees 0.8.0 (since I put significant effort to place some trees properly, in particular the apple trees abundant around Hamburg
  • U&RaTT 0.7a
  • U&Bridges 1.5
  • Polroad v55
Although I did not notice any effects when removing them, I also suggest not to change
  • ITL Houses 2.1
  • Total Town Replacement Set 3.14 EarlyMod
In particular the railway track and vehicle sets you should be able to modify without problems yourself in the scenario editor, as well as the industries sets, although the game is aimed at XIS.

I will now continue to add further graphical elements to the map like churches and cemetaries, schools, barracks, hospitals, jails, piers, lighthouses, sport fields, golf and race courses and so on. These will make signficiant use of GarryG's NewGRFs and will possible take another couple of weeks minimum to finish.

Afterwards, I plan to place all major industries also at the geographically correct locations.

Until then - enjoy but proceed at your own risk :D

HH_scenario_v0.5_p1.png
(156.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
HH_scenario_v0.5_p2.png
(298.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hamburg_v0.50.scn
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Azetta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Azetta »

Looks very impressive and exactly like the game I'd like to play! Unfortunately can't test this one yet as my OTTD build is older than the version you used... but will be following this for your next updates!
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Azetta wrote: 21 Mar 2023 19:53 Looks very impressive and exactly like the game I'd like to play! Unfortunately can't test this one yet as my OTTD build is older than the version you used... but will be following this for your next updates!
Thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Which OTTD version do you use and does it give you any kind of error message that would be helpful for diagnosis? Can you maybe post a screenshot here?

I really want the scenario to be as much independent of version as possible, although there will certainly be some limits in backward compatibility.

Maybe it is not even the scenario itself but some of the NewGRFs included? Can you go as far loading it to remove them one by one?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Even the use of NRT graphics makes the scenario dependent on the version from 10 above. But it won't be the graphics, except for Uratt and Polroad 55, they should all go in older versions.
But the update will take a little time.
And if it is not possible for some reason, it is possible to run more than one version.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Azetta wrote: 21 Mar 2023 19:53 Unfortunately can't test this one yet as my OTTD build is older than the version you used...
I've played around quite a bit with the NewGRFs and unfortunately, it seems like even if you remove all of them and then save the scenario file again under a new name, it cannot be opened with a version of OTTD that is older than the one it was created with. So once you have moved forward to a new version, you're kind of locked to that with no way back.

However, you can simply download the latest version of the game as a ZIP folder (not the installer), unpack it in a convenient location and then play from there by opening the executable. This way, I have at least OTTD 12 and 13 around on my computer in parallel, and at times also some patchpacks for evaluation. Since the OTTD folder itself is only about 25 MB this should work with all but the oldest machines - and possibly some mobile devices, but that I don't know, since using a standard Windows machine.

Maybe I can tease you to upgrade with a few pictures from the latest version v0.61 in which I have started "decorating" the landscape mostly with GarryG's NewGRFs?

Who can guess which (in)famous place is shown in the bottom picture? If you know, please give the nickname first or provide other hints to allow others to continue guessing. :D

HH_scenario_v0.61_p1.png
(349.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
HH_scenario_v0.61_p2.png
(518.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
HH_scenario_v0.61_p3.png
(377.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PS: Scenario file will follow in a separate post since attachment seems to be limited to 3 files.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

And here is the Hamburg scenario v0.61 in which "decoration" of the landscape has started, mostly in the lower left (southwest) corner of the map. Enjoy :D

hamburg_v0.61.scn
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It is definitely a building that everyone must go to. It is one of the basic duties. But it won't be quite so basic. :D
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I miss auztownobjects2.grf :cry:
Downloaded here viewtopic.php?t=75657&start=2300
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 23 Mar 2023 10:58 It is definitely a building that everyone must go to. It is one of the basic duties. But it won't be quite so basic. :D
No, not really - it's rather a place that most people will prefer not to go to - and if so, you are usually ordered to in a sentence.

Also, the double fence is to restrict movements, but not in the direction you possibly have in mind :D
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 23 Mar 2023 11:17 I miss auztownobjects2.grf :cry:
Downloaded here viewtopic.php?t=75657&start=2300
Sorry, GarryG has so many different sets around, I almost completely lost track of all the newer ones, in particular when they are not available via the online content service.

I hope there is still space to add them yourself and I will try to keep that set in mind for the next update.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Oh sure, I was confused by the passability. I would also expect the walls to be higher and with barbed wire on top.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 23 Mar 2023 15:16 Oh sure, I was confused by the passability. I would also expect the walls to be higher and with barbed wire on top.
Barbed wire is there, but less than a pixel large, so you can't see it :lol:

The nickname of the place is very close to that of the oldest capital of a US state which goes by the full name of "The Royal Town of the Holy Faith of Saint Francis of Assisi" - so it is not New Amsterdam, as this is Germany and not Netherlands ...
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I'll wait a while for the attempts of others, I don't know this Alcatraz or the Czech equivalent of Pankrác :)

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”