[JGR] IBERIA 8192x8192

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

[JGR] IBERIA 8192x8192

Post by jerby666 »

So I started recently a project that will take me a while. I would like to know if there is someone else interested so we can build the map together.

I have already made the heightmap, and detailed a little bit the coastline in some places. Main rivers like Duero, Ebro and Guadalquivir are already done so I think I will begin to place cities (which will be the tedious part)

Some screenshoots :D

UPDATE APR 02 (v1)

V1 uploaded! Spain is finished but still needs a lot of polish, however I'll upload so you can test it and give me some feedback.

UPDATE APR 03 (v1.2)

-Ibiza and Formentera added.
-Duero river redetailed.
[+] Spoiler
UPDATE APR 16(v1.2.1)

-Lisboa area added. Terrain remade in the whole area.
-Added several towns in the south of Portugal
-All industries removed.
[+] Spoiler
NEWGRF:
https://ttdistas.es/files/spainsetw.grf
https://ttdistas.es/files/feve.grf
https://ttdistas.es/files/speedrails.grf
Attachments
IBERIA 8K (No ind) v1.2.1.scn
(11.35 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
screenshot#41.png
(145.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by jerby666 on 16 Apr 2023 09:01, edited 10 times in total.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Project Iberia 8k

Post by ebla71 »

jerby666 wrote: 09 Mar 2023 18:52 So I started recently a project that will take me a while. I would like to know if there is someone else interested so we can build the map together.

I have already made the heightmap, and detailed a little bit the coastline in some places. Main rivers like Duero, Ebro and Guadalquivir are already done so I think I will begin to place cities (which will be the tedious part)
Oh, that's really nice - the Iberian peninsula has a very interesting topography and also calls for some costal transport by ship. Also nice that Mallorca is included which calls for plane service but also has interesting railway possibly not excpected by everybody on such an island (Metro de Palma, Tramvia de Sóller, plus some now closed lines).

There is also a Spanish trains NewGRF which however I did not test so far https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf/53505301 and seems like there have been no updates for quite a while: viewtopic.php?t=46836

Would also need some narrow gauge trains for the Galician and Basque systems but don't remember seeing any.

Also not sure if there ever was a Portuguese NewGRF?

How do you think about collaborating on such a map given that it can only be locally worked on by a single person at a time, as far as I know?

I'd be interested since I really love "real-world" maps and have been to different parts of Portugal and Spain on several instances but currently still busy with my own Hamburg scenario for at least a couple of weeks to months.
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

I didn't know that when you begin to place cities the scenario become "locked" in the way that we can't merge any progress or change NEWGRFs :cry:

Well I'll upload the heightmap in case someone wants edit it with different NEWGRFs and I'll stick with vanilla and will start the harsh part of placing cities.

I set max height on 30 so the terrain is flat enough in almost the entire country with some challenge in mountainous areas. The capitals of province (around 50 if I recall correctly) will be easy to place but minor towns... That's another story

Your scenario looks so promising I'll be following your work too!
ebla71 wrote: 09 Mar 2023 19:57
jerby666 wrote: 09 Mar 2023 18:52 So I started recently a project that will take me a while. I would like to know if there is someone else interested so we can build the map together.

Oh, that's really nice - the Iberian peninsula has a very interesting topography and also calls for some costal transport by ship. Also nice that Mallorca is included which calls for plane service but also has interesting railway possibly not excpected by everybody on such an island (Metro de Palma, Tramvia de Sóller, plus some now closed lines).

There is also a Spanish trains NewGRF which however I did not test so far https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf/53505301 and seems like there have been no updates for quite a while: viewtopic.php?t=46836

Would also need some narrow gauge trains for the Galician and Basque systems but don't remember seeing any.

Also not sure if there ever was a Portuguese NewGRF?

How do you think about collaborating on such a map given that it can only be locally worked on by a single person at a time, as far as I know?

I'd be interested since I really love "real-world" maps and have been to different parts of Portugal and Spain on several instances but currently still busy with my own Hamburg scenario for at least a couple of weeks to months.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

BTW, you can get some nice Spanish trains and Iberian gauge tracks from here:
https://ttdistas.es/en/downloads.html
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

kamnet wrote: 10 Mar 2023 01:18 BTW, you can get some nice Spanish trains and Iberian gauge tracks from here:
Gracias - seems like these NewGRFs are not available via the in-game content download, right?
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jerby666 wrote: 09 Mar 2023 21:24 I didn't know that when you begin to place cities the scenario become "locked" in the way that we can't merge any progress or change NEWGRFs :cry:
Well, it technically does not become locked but only one person can work on it one at a time, as there is no function to merge two different scenario files, as far as I know.

Two very well-organized persons could possibly send back and forth a file they work on alternatingly but parallel editing will not be possible, pretty sure about that.

One somewhat speculative option might be to set up a server game and then have editing people as players, but I'm not sure if you can export a server game back to a scenario file later and certain options from the scenario editor will not be available in a game - in particular I think with with regard to river placement. Possible a more knowledgeable person can comment on this?
Your scenario looks so promising I'll be following your work too!
Thank you very much - I'm now about 95% finished with the "landscaping" and placement of the cities, but I did a different approach which is described here and starts from an OpenStreetMap export. This way, you can very precisely pinpoint the location of cities, but since then terrain height is not properly encoded, it only works for very flat places - which Northern Germany admittedly is, as people joke that you can see a neighbor who comes to visit already two days in advance :D Seems like you have to "die one death or another"

Will be busy the next couple of weeks with other stuff but hope to post a major update before Easter holidays.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ebla71 wrote: 10 Mar 2023 02:50 Gracias - seems like these NewGRFs are not available via the in-game content download, right?
Yes, that is correct.
ebla71 wrote: 10 Mar 2023 03:02 Two very well-organized persons could possibly send back and forth a file they work on alternatingly but parallel editing will not be possible, pretty sure about that.
Also correct.
One somewhat speculative option might be to set up a server game and then have editing people as players, but I'm not sure if you can export a server game back to a scenario file later and certain options from the scenario editor will not be available in a game - in particular I think with with regard to river placement. Possible a more knowledgeable person can comment on this?
If this project is targeting an 8K map, then one will need to use the JGR Patch Pack in order to build it. It supports building rivers in game mode. In a standard OpenTTD client what you could do is build canals, save the file, rename it from .sav to .scn, open in Scenario Editor and convert or demolish the canals and rebuild as rivers.

If pursuing this option, make sure that the industry set is selected and activated before you launch it as a game. Once that is done, the industry is locked in and you won't be able to change it without serious consequences. I would also suggest starting the game in Year - with an industry set selected and set to Funding Only (you can override this in game settings later), and without any NewGRF vehicle sets in order to stop technology from advancing. While you can adjust the game start date later, any advanced technology won't be rolled back. You could even enable the game to run the days by slower in order to prevent years from streaming by while you build the map.

An advantage to doing it this way is that the server could stay up all the time and be set to pause when nobody is logged in working on the map.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

kamnet wrote: 10 Mar 2023 04:21
If this project is targeting an 8K map, then one will need to use the JGR Patch Pack in order to build it. It supports building rivers in game mode. In a standard OpenTTD client what you could do is build canals, save the file, rename it from .sav to .scn, open in Scenario Editor and convert or demolish the canals and rebuild as rivers.
Thank you very much for the additional comments and confirming that *.sav to *.scn "conversion" is possible also with a server game.
If pursuing this option, make sure that the industry set is selected and activated before you launch it as a game. Once that is done, the industry is locked in and you won't be able to change it without serious consequences.
What would happen if you simply don't load any industry NewGRF at all?

In standard OTTD 13 it seems like some "default industry" with bank, factory, oil refinery, sawmill, and steel mill (in temperate climate, others with other climates) becomes available if you start a game without any industry NewGRF. Also, appears to be impossible to set industries to zero in "world generation menue", right?

So you would definitely have to agree on an industry set and then be fixed to it permanently before you do such type of "run game as editor"?!?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I saw some Portuguese sets on the forum and I think they are available through in-game downloads.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ebla71 wrote: 10 Mar 2023 06:59 What would happen if you simply don't load any industry NewGRF at all?

It loads the game default industries, and you'll be locked into those instead.
Also, appears to be impossible to set industries to zero in "world generation menue", right?
Set industry generation to "funding only".
So you would definitely have to agree on an industry set and then be fixed to it permanently before you do such type of "run game as editor"?!?
Yes, you select the industry in the Scenario Editor. Once you save it and launch it as a game, it is locked in. Trying to undo it after that point will break the game and produce unintended consequences that may or may not be immediately known, and will likely be impossible to fix later in the game. So, choose wisely.
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

kamnet wrote: 10 Mar 2023 01:18 BTW, you can get some nice Spanish trains and Iberian gauge tracks from here:
Thanks! Any idea why they aren't in the ingame downloader? I would like to do an easy downloading scenario trying not to download external Newgrf

I have messed around with the river tool and couldn't get any satisfactory way to redesign the main rivers. Trying to redraw them is a huge amount of job and the result is not as good as drawing directly on the .png

img9. I attached an image showing how they look in the higher areas. Any ideas on how to do them looking smoother?
img10. This is the route from Granada to the andalusian coast. It is significant because you can see almost the highest and lowest points in the map. I think I achieved a height difference which I feel confortable and could be fun to play, trying to follow valleys and avoid mountainous places for a realistic building but allowing build over the mountains if anyone wants to. I would like to know what do you guys think about it.
Attachments
screenshot#9.png
(312.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#10.png
(250.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

jerby666 wrote: 10 Mar 2023 15:29 Thanks! Any idea why they aren't in the ingame downloader? I would like to do an easy downloading scenario trying not to download external Newgrf
I have no idea, but they've been around for awhile. I'm guessing whoever made them just doesn't want to bother with creating an account and adding them to the in-game system.
I have messed around with the river tool and couldn't get any satisfactory way to redesign the main rivers. Trying to redraw them is a huge amount of job and the result is not as good as drawing directly on the .png
Building them all based on terraforming land down to the sea water level is going to be a huge time sink. It would be easier to use the river tool. You may need to enable that in the game settings. Adding OpenGFX+ Landscape will give you some nicer looking diagonal rivers instead of 90 degree turns.
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

So this is my progress so far. I started placing coastal cities and trying to link main corridors between provinces... Also the capitals of province are already placed

Madrid suroundings so far. An ideal scale to recreate Cercanias system.

Cadiz province and Malaga coastal cities.

Attachments
screenshot#17.png
(109.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#18.png
(196.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#19.png
(109.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

Andalucia done!

Progress of Cataluña

Attachments
screenshot#22.png
(205.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#23.png
(167.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

More updates!

The mediterranean coast is almost done, I took several screenshots because the map is too big for a single one :shock:

Yes... that's a lot of towns. Here you can appreciate the true scale of the map:

Attachments
screenshot#24.png
(219.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#25.png
(233.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#28.png
(153.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

As I fill the map with plenty of towns I wonder if there is any way I could edit the population of each town just editing a file. Now I'm placing almost every town at medium size but I'll need to retouch every population numbers in the future. :?
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 07:50 As I fill the map with plenty of towns I wonder if there is any way I could edit the population of each town just editing a file. Now I'm placing almost every town at medium size but I'll need to retouch every population numbers in the future. :?
Hi jerby, I appreciate and am interested in your project. However, does the number of towns of your map exceed 1400? If not, that is good news (only for me or those who are used to playing with Renewed Village Growth script). Renewed Village Growth doesn't work for maps that have more than 1400 towns.

Well, if the number exceeds, you would not need to delete towns. Just edit the map in your style.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 09:40
jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 07:50 As I fill the map with plenty of towns I wonder if there is any way I could edit the population of each town just editing a file. Now I'm placing almost every town at medium size but I'll need to retouch every population numbers in the future. :?
Hi jerby, I appreciate and am interested in your project. However, does the number of towns of your map exceed 1400? If not, that is good news (only for me or those who are used to playing with Renewed Village Growth script). Renewed Village Growth doesn't work for maps that have more than 1400 towns.

Well, if the number exceeds, you would not need to delete towns. Just edit the map in your style.
Well actually I don't know how many towns I've already placed. Is there any sort of city counter where I can check it ?

I'll upload new screenshots later :D
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 09:56 Well actually I don't know how many towns I've already placed. Is there any sort of city counter where I can check it ?
I don't know. My counting way is very time-consuming, by using Town List in alphabetical order, dragging the window to the bottom, firstly counting how many towns in one screen, then counting how many screens... Or when exceeding 1400, RVG script would report an error.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
jerby666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jerby666 »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 09:59
jerby666 wrote: 25 Mar 2023 09:56 Well actually I don't know how many towns I've already placed. Is there any sort of city counter where I can check it ?
I don't know. My counting way is very time-consuming, by using Town List in alphabetical order, dragging the window to the bottom, firstly counting how many towns in one screen, then counting how many screens... Or when exceeding 1400, RVG script would report an error.
I'm around 1300 towns right now using your counting way :| Considering that I have done just one half of Spain I think the full scenario will reach about 4000 towns

Now... some updates

South and east Spain finished

So proud how Basque Country looks :D

Attachments
screenshot#30.png
(251.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#32.png
(247.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot#33.png
(147.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”