What I Love About OpenTTD

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

What I Love About OpenTTD

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I haven't been here in a while, so I may as well make some kind of topic that proves that I ain't dead. :D

This is just going to be a list of things I love about OpenTTD.

For a game older than me, the amount of support people have for the game is admirable.

This game could run on a literal potato. I've seen ports on various platforms, including the PlayStation Portable and the Nintendo Wii.

Despite the fact that midis are as archaic as they come, OpenMSX slaps.

The expandability of OpenTTD is better than almost any game I've ever played.

The game has infinite replay value. Even without grfs, it can be enjoyed for hours upon hours.

It's incredibly approachable. It's only as easy or difficult as you set your game up to be.
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015
heppers
Engineer
Engineer

Re: What I Love About OpenTTD

Post by heppers »

I'm still alive too! :D

Couldn't agree more,Transport Tycoon in one form or another has to be the only game that i repeatedly come back to every now and then, whether that was the original Transport Tycoon, Transport Tycoon Deluxe or now OpenTTD.

I prefer the original base graphics files, i do use some newgrfs for vehicles so i can start a game all the way back in 1850 8) , and only in the past week when i started another new game did i bother to dig out the original music files too!
Pedro The Fisherman
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

Couldn't agree more. Base graphics, original sounds and music.

It's the combination of chilhood memories and an overall outstanding game that's makes me come back every now and then.
betterwound
Engineer
Engineer

Post by betterwound »

It's the combo of childhood memories and an overall excellent game that keeps me coming back.
Shifty_Girl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Shifty_Girl »

I've taken a week of annual leave and most of it has been playing OpenTTD. I've been meaning to get around to installing everything and having a play and recapture all the old memories from how many decades ago. I'm kind of sorry I did, as I now have the bug! :lol:

its really eye-opening seeing how many people share the same love for this olde game :) wonderful

Best memory as a kid was smashing up all the opponents/AI road vehicles and blocking their construction...who cares if there's 2000 coals waiting, I've got competition to take care of
lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

I had it on my pc's and laptops for decades. I always come back to this superb game. I bought a magazine once. It had a floppy disk wrapped in with a Dos demo of Transport Tycoon. That's how I got acquainted with this game. It is amazing that it is still very much alive thanks to those unsurpassed developpers and modders.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

me too, returning to the game every year :) was remembered to replay it because of the " fix your translation translators!" broadcast email.

Exciting to see that the NewGRFs are still maintained and working (ok have to check my own, as it's like 6-7 years old lol)
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

My first approach to OpenTTD was with an EMachines tower running Windows XP 32 bit! :D

Christopher Tarana
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

I got hooked immediately the first time I tried it some 6-7 months ago (or more?) I'm not even sure why. It's micro management, has no goal, quest, or story. I don't often play with others, not even AIs. I just love it. Never before have I become addicted to a game, but I've played this almost every day for half a year and aren't tired of any single facet of it. It still feels like I've just scratched the surface of what the game can offer.

And it's the first game I've found fun enough to spend time making a mod for (i.e. a NewGRF in this case). That says something.
Martin
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Martin »

I remember actually looking at the Transport Tycoon box in a store in France in 1994/5 and wishing I had a PC to play it on. Of course when I did get one, it was one of the first games I bought (and still in the days when the DOS version worked perfectly without any hassle.) Edit: I also meant to say, it’s great OTTD is thriving after all this time. :)
:)
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I don't remember what exactly had convinced me a dozen years ago into reckoning something like TTD as existing, yet when I finally encountered it I was surprised by its bemusing tangent in profiteering.

Return to “General OpenTTD”