The original Transport Tycoon in 1024x768

Talk about the classic original version of Transport Tycoon.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

The original Transport Tycoon in 1024x768

Post by Roman »

Hey folks, I made a discovery that totally blew my mind. I don't know if you'll share my excitement about this, but I thought this was quite remarkable, and it seems that this wasn't known in the community before.

Image Image Image

Shortly after the original release in November 1994, MicroProse released a repackaged version of TTO as part of their "Classic Series", in a blueish box with a manual and CD-ROM, dated 1995. When I found this edition, I expected it to be just a rebranding of the original release, but a look into the CD-ROM proved me wrong. Very wrong. It contains three different game versions (all numbered 1.06.011, created on 4th November 1994): Low-res, mid-res, and high-res. Depending which one you choose to install, the game comes in 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768 pixels! It seems to be the same game otherwise, just with different sceen resolutions.

Did you know that the original Transport Tycoon existed in higher resolutions already back in 1994? I certainly didn't! I wonder why later versions (>1.06.011) and TTD were then only released in 640x480... did MicroProse overestimate people's hardware, and then reverted back to the lowest resolution for later releases?

More info on this edition at https://www.tt-ms.de. Download: https://www.tt-ms.de/downloads
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The original Transport Tycoon in 1024x768

Post by orudge »

Now that is very interesting - I certainly hadn't come across that before, or heard any reports of it. Nice find! :)
Phreeze
Director
Director

Re: The original Transport Tycoon in 1024x768

Post by Phreeze »

wow just reading the news on tt-ms. it is so pleasant to read a real letter from Chris Sawyer, really cool guy and appreciating that he answered some of your questions and made available those information :)

Return to “Transport Tycoon (Original)”