Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Lancelot
Engineer
Engineer

Dirt roads between cities and industries

Post by Lancelot »

Hey everyone.

I've always wondered why the cities initially don't have any roads between them, for realism sake, mostly. I know that building your own road network is a core gameplay mechanic...but how did people got around before the player? :)

I think it would be a neat addition, if during the map generation the towns spawned with pre-built muddy dirt roads between them and maybe even leading to the industries. People got to get to work somehow! Naturally, these would be extremely slow to traverse, but it would make a road vehicle a more viable choice for the early game, since you wouldn't have to build own paved road network.

The horse carriage would probably do better on these than the early trucks. What do you guys think?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dirt roads between cities and industries

Post by jfs »

As far as I know, there are already gamescripts that build connecting roads at the start of the game.

I don't think it would be accepted into the base game as a feature, in part because it was not in Transport Tycoon Deluxe (1995), and in part because it can already be done using GS.

But yes, it is weird to the eye that the game doesn't have connecting roads. The reason TTD did not have it originally probably has to do with how it might make map-generation take too long. There also wasn't any mechanism for different kinds of roads at the time.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

However, the use of such a gamescript will exclude the use of another.
I'd rather recommend the JGR Patchpack, which already includes a patch with building public roads.
I agree that this feature probably won't be included in the base game. She would have been there after NRT :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A GameScript can manage road building. So can an AI, such as RoadAI or WmDOT
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

You can only have one GS running during a game, at once.

But what if there was a second category of GS that could only run during map generation, and you could have multiple of those run in sequence? Then you could have GS responsible for placing towns, industries,roads, even rivers and more.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I don't know if it would be easier to add the Public Roads patch to the base branch. I'm not sure how much harder it would be to add support for more GS. If it were that simple, it would already be in the game.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

For a long time TTDPath and OTTD were not able to load more than one GRF engine set.

I found this bad.

Some said this could be impossible to to it without breaking the game.

I tried a small attempt and after a few hours I got a patch able to load 256 NewGRF each containing vehicle sets.

A few weeks later the feature was in the trunk.

Never say "it's impossible". ;)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I see we both like the variability in our vehicle choices :) I use JGR patchpack because of public road. Every time I start the vanilla version, I get nervous about missing features :D

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”