Day Length & Tick

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Day Length & Tick

Post by krohmalny »

Hello.

I've already searched half the internet and can't find an answer, so I'm asking the question here.

I have my own server, on which I have set a very slow passage of time (Day Length Factor), which results in the fact that 1 year in the game lasts about 12 hours in real life, and this is absolutely fine with me.

Unfortunately this results in several anomalies:

1. unused factories or processing plants collapse very quickly, with the result that the map is deserted after a few years and you have to fund new enterprises yourself, as new plants appear much slower than they disappear.

2) When playing on a 1024x2048 map, long railway lines are not viable, as they are loss-making. This looks similar to normal time lapse, where railways (running at 80 km/h) make money when they have a route of 500 fields or less. This of course also applies to ships, which is all the more apparent and disruptive.

3. the maintenance costs of a vehicle are considerably higher than those in the description - this is something I can adjust myself, but the fact remains that this is the case.

And this is where the tick comes to mind, the default setting of which is "74" per minute. I would like to ask whether there is someone here who could tell me what parameters in the game this "tick" is responsible for exactly, and what the "day length factor" is responsible for, except the time and production in time modifier?

I'm looking for an optimal solution for a new map with the assumption that DLF will be just 50. :)

Thank you in advance for any help, regards and have a nice day
Marcin
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Day Length & Tick

Post by jfs »

One tick is the smallest time unit the simulation has. The original game speed is 74 ticks per in-game day, and the simulation speed of the game is 30 milliseconds per tick.

There's many things that can be scaled in the game, but the original game balance is based around how much cargo a vehicle can move how far in some number of ticks. If you want to make longer routes viable with slow vehicles you need to change some kind of scaling around the economy too, making revenues bigger and running costs smaller.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

those 3 points are basically unsolvable, which is why daylength was never included in the official builds. they are a game balance problem. the game is built on the smallest time unit, the "tick", which is fixed at 30ms. "daylength" now changes the number of ticks per day. however, nobody ever did the work to cleanly decide which game features should balance with ticks, or days. and on some features different people expect different things. every change here has a long tail of other changes necessary to re-balance the game.

for example the maintenance costs. if maintenance is counted per tick, maintenance costs per year will be hugely exaggerated. but if you count maintenence cost per month, you now have to scale down income per delivery, or you'll get a money printing machine. and if you scale down income per delivery, you now have to introduce a smaller monetary unit, or you'll get rounding issues, like income of 1£ per delivery regardless of how much you deliver.

at least you can work around the industry closure problem if you use an industry set that forbids industry closure (e.g. FIRS)
krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krohmalny »

Seems I need to investigate myself - I'll write you results here :)
krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krohmalny »

After deep and serious testing i didn't find any major feature that tick is related to...

But found many improvements that i can use on my new map. :)
kaomoneus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kaomoneus »

Hi krohmalny!

Checkout for my OpenTTD fork with SlowPace Mode, it allows to set up game pace factor and preserves balance.

https://github.com/kaomoneus/OpenTTD/re ... owpace-1.3

https://youtu.be/I8bn7Gb7gu8

In new version all prices have same values as in regular game speed (I've just added decimal points)

Of you like it, invite me to your server, haha :-)

krohmalny wrote: 05 Mar 2022 11:10 Hello.

I've already searched half the internet and can't find an answer, so I'm asking the question here.
krohmalny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by krohmalny »

kaomoneus wrote: 23 Jan 2023 18:35 Hi krohmalny!

Checkout for my OpenTTD fork with SlowPace Mode, it allows to set up game pace factor and preserves balance.

https://github.com/kaomoneus/OpenTTD/re ... owpace-1.3

https://youtu.be/I8bn7Gb7gu8

In new version all prices have same values as in regular game speed (I've just added decimal points)

Of you like it, invite me to your server, haha :-)

krohmalny wrote: 05 Mar 2022 11:10 Hello.

I will check that, thank you. :)

For now i use JGR and I found solutions to pretty much all the issues but I'll check your mod in some near future. :)

You can join my server and check how it works. DM me if you are still interested, we will be starting new game in a month :)
cpeosphoros
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cpeosphoros »

Would you mind posting the parameters you are using to balance the time management?

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”