Train brake for RVs.

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Train brake for RVs.

Post by WolfRamXx »

Hi, ive got an idea regarding trains and railroad crossings...

When RVs/trams are present on the railroad crossing the train could have effort to brake to prevent crash, and not just ingore the fact there are vehicles there. In case of having signals in front of railroad crossing, the signal could prevent train from passing IF theres vehicle present on the railroad crossing and would let the train once its cleared. In case of multilevel railroad crossing it would wait for whole railroad crossing to clear up, and then let all trains pass.

I got no idea if this is possible thou...
Owner of WolfTrans.com. An fictional trucking company.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train brake for RVs.

Post by Redirect Left »

It isn't very feasible i suspect, it'd put a huge extra workload on pathfinding if a train needed to check ahead for any R/R crossings and then get the nearest vehicle, and check if that is on the approach to that crossing and work out its current speed to get the ETA to the tile the train will be going over, and that is presuming the RV and train isn't stopping en route. It's a little inconvenient, but is also fairly close to a real train, if something unexpected is on the crossing, the most the driver can do is slam on the emergency brake, and close their eyes, with some larger or heavier trains taking a mile or several to come to a stop.

You can already use (path based) signals to sort this out. Place them a few blocks from the crossing. When it reserves the track ahead of it, it will also reserve the road tile, triggering the barriers so RV's cannot cross into the path until the train has passed. Naturally you'll need to do this a few tiles from the crossing, if its literally the tile before, you'll likely still run into the same issues where they're in the way when a fast train gets there.

here's an image on what I mean, this is with reserved paths highlighted, so the darker track is what the train has reserved, usually this is at junctions so nothing can get in the way whilst still allowing some movement on the junction, but it works good for road crossing reservation too, and it also reserves the lights at the other side of the track, so an RV won't be stopped on the other track waiting to be smashed by a train in the other direction.
Attachments
2023-01-22 15_29_00-OpenTTD jgrpp-0.50.1.png
2023-01-22 15_29_00-OpenTTD jgrpp-0.50.1.png (145.86 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

Hmmmm, this should do the trick i guess... Il try it later thou. Thanks. :bow:
Owner of WolfTrans.com. An fictional trucking company.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

This feature is definitely possible. Moreover, it has long been available in the JGRPP version as "Safer level crossing". :) This feature is not suitable for multiplayer games due to the possibility of malicious blocking of trains and it looks quite peculiar when a heavy train suddenly brakes to let a small car pass, but if one wants to eliminate the risk of accidents, this is an effective way which always can use.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”