Towns want goods and food , but wont take any.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Towns want goods and food , but wont take any.

Post by mauried »

Playing a game which has some desert areas, and the towns in the desert areas want food and goods to grow, but theres nowhere in the town where I can find a location for a station where goods or food are accepted.
To try and solve the problem I funded some industries in the town which will accept goods and food like grocer shops and hardware shops which replace houses.
I located one of these industries right next to the towns name.
I can now place stations which accept goods and food and take goods and food to the town , but the town does not recognise the delivery of the goods or food.
Is the problem here that the town itself isnt an industry, so industries in the town will take precedence for deliveries delivered to the town?
Tnx
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Towns want goods and food , but wont take any.

Post by odisseus »

Which add-ons are you using?
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Using the Extreme Industries GRF, but Im not sure if thats responsible for the towns wanting goods and food to grow .
The industries Ive added namely the hardware store and grocers shop are part of the Extreme grf.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Cargo accepted by an industry should count as cargo accepted by the town, either for gamescript or vanilla town growth behaviour. Carry on delivering and see if it recognises the delivery - there may be a delay.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

one detail that is important here is that the location of the industry isn't important, the name of the station is. the associated town of the station (which gives the station its name) is the town that gets the food/goods[water].

also, the deliveries should be small and frequent, not infrequent large bulk shipments.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks all.
Ive had some success in that the town now is accepting and indicating that its receiving the goods and food, but Im still not sure why.
One of the other cargos that the town accepts although doesnt indicate that this cargo is needed is building materials, and once I transported some building materials to the town, it started showing the receipt of goods and food when I delivered it.
Whether this in intentional or otherwise I simply dont know.
Thie particular industry set is quite complex and differant to the others.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that's a tiny bit technical:

in the base game, towns in desert need two things: food and water.

Industry NewGRF can modify their cargo chains, in particular there is what is called the "town effect" property of a cargo.

this allows the NewGRF to completely remove water, but give the "town effect: water" property to other cargos (may be more than one).

in total, there are 5 "town effects", which determine things like where in the town window the delivery statistics are counted (and how gamescripts can react to them):
  • passenger
  • mail
  • food
  • water
  • goods
multiple cargos can be in each of these categories, but the town window probably doesn't list them all.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks .
This particular industry set is quite difficult to play in that the supply chains are much differant and more complex to the normal industries supply chains, and there a lot of industries, 85 in total.
Its only the towns which are in the desert areas which need the food and goods before they will grow at all.
Towns which are in forested areas behave as normal towns do .
I havnt played on desert type maps before , so slowly getting to understand the differances.
heppers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by heppers »

To add to the above, while a town may not accept Goods/Food on the off thenit doesn't mean it accepts nothing.
It'll still accept passengers and mail, this will over time eventually make the town grow to a point where it starts accepting Goods and food, then you can supply these and the town will grow faster :)
Pedro The Fisherman

Return to “General OpenTTD”