Is the iOS app official?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Misda
Engineer
Engineer

Is the iOS app official?

Post by Misda »

Hello,

I recently became aware of the iOS app at through this link https://apps.apple.com/de/app/openttd/id1585549844 in a Retrogames Facebook group. I installed it and it's already running quite well, even if a few features are still missing to round it off. But the whole thing doesn't really seem official; does it come from the OpenTTD developers or did someone just go it alone?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Is the iOS app official?

Post by jfs »

No, it's not an official release. It's a fork, probably based off the Android version.
It's surprising that Apple has approved a version on the App Store, many others have reported that all attempts were rejected for one reason or another.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

levitaylor wrote: 27 Aug 2023 06:40 Is the ios app from the provided link an official release by openTTD developers, or is it an unofficial fork based on the android version?
It's intriguing that it got approved despite previous rejection experiences.
As previously noted, it is not official.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I believe the iOS version actually runs a browser-based version, and that's how they got around the App Store's restrictions.

But yes, it's unofficial and unapproved, no one in the actual dev community knows who is responsible for it.

Return to “General OpenTTD”