Graphic file availability at start

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Graphic file availability at start

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have put off upgrading OpenTTD for a while since the inflation availability dates got locked,but have started/shelved some games under older versions I hope I can work with without their being affected by this.

I recently upgraded my OS in a somewhat messy way,though I made backups of lots of data...after upgrading OpenTTD would coredump and crash instead of starting.

I finally upgraded OpenTTD to 12.2 and now it doesn't crash,it says that it is missing graphics files it needs and asks if I should download them or exit.
I am pretty sure I have whatever files it needs in backups even if I didn't put them where they're needed after the OS upgrade,so would rather not re-download.
What files trigger that message,so I can look for them and copy them where they're needed?
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Graphic file availability at start

Post by skc »

If you open a terminal or command prompt and run OpenTTD that way, you may get some error messages appear which will give you a good place to start.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

If I do it in the window manager I just get that window asking me to download graphics,if I do plain "openttd" at a command prompt instead of "xinit openttd" I get a bunch of characters surrounding text making various complaints.

I checked my backup's .openttd directory for my current .openttd directory for my account and found almost nothing (just save) in the current,and copied over the bulk of the other subdirectories (ai,content_download,baseset,newgrf,and more) and now the game launches,but if I ask it to load a game it now looks for a .local/share/openttd/save directory in my home directory rather than .openttd/save
(this is not the systemwide /usr/local/share directory).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the ~/.openttd directory is deprecated, and the newer xdg guidelines are used, if the directory isn't present on first startup.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote: 12 Dec 2022 08:36 the ~/.openttd directory is deprecated, and the newer xdg guidelines are used, if the directory isn't present on first startup.
My home directory had the .openttd directory in it before I upgraded so why does v12 think my savegames would be elsewhere?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

maybe the openttd.cfg file was missing. you mentioned your copy was incomplete
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote: 13 Dec 2022 15:00 maybe the openttd.cfg file was missing. you mentioned your copy was incomplete
Well,it's there now.
(I don't see a directory-selection section?)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

check this out:

Code: Select all

> ./openttd -d misc=3
dbg: [misc] /home/johannes/.openttd/ found as config directory
dbg: [misc] /home/johannes/.openttd/ found as personal directory
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

What I get in response to that is

bash: .openttd: Is a directory

or

bash: ./openttd: Is a directory

depending on whether I put the / in in the > line.

The openttd.cfg starts with a [misc] section that starts with display_opt and ends with video_vsync with no directory related content.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 15 Dec 2022 01:56 What I get in response to that is

bash: .openttd: Is a directory

or

bash: ./openttd: Is a directory

depending on whether I put the / in in the > line.

The openttd.cfg starts with a [misc] section that starts with display_opt and ends with video_vsync with no directory related content.
What Eddi's done, is he's cd'd to the directory where the openttd executable is.
If you've got openttd correctly installed and the directory it's located in is contained in the PATH environment variable, you should be able to run it by omitting the '.' and the '/'. I.e.

openttd -d misc=3
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The executable in the path is in /usr/local/bin,I believe, as opposed to anything under my personal home directory.
Any user on the system (there are few) should be able to launch it and have a personal .openttd directory...not share all savegames.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

If you move your ~/.local/share/openttd/openttd.cfg file to ~/.openttd/openttd.cfg then the game should start looking in ~/.openttd/ for its settings and data.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

There's an openttd.cfg in .openttd already,
the .local/share/openttd directory does not have an openttd.cfg in it.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I don't think I've resolved this,I have scarcely played since,and my system wants to upgrade me from 13.0_2 to 13.4 at the next opportunity...but I noticed another broken config issue,although I'm sure there must be revisions of many things since I last updated,"Check online content" does nothing now.
Is there a new place to look for that that my game doesn't know?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Try opening the in-game console and enter the command:

list_dirs newgrf
It should then show you all the paths the game will look for NewGRF files in, with the current game configuration.

(There are also several other categories of dirs you can get that command to list.)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”