Town Name Variations

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Town Name Variations

Post by Svartypops »

Is there a way to add more variations to the town names?

I understand that the town names are made from chunks... I just want there to be more of each chunk.

For example, a town might be called Lewisville. This is Lewis+ville.

I'm wondering if the list that contains Lewis might have more semi-words in it?

In the game as it stands, on large maps (1024+) there are too many towns with very similar names. I would like to see more variation, is it possible or is the number of entries determined by a maxed out byte value or something?
kamnet

Re: Town Name Variations

Post by kamnet »

Svartypops wrote: 09 Dec 2022 12:33 Is there a way to add more variations to the town names?

I understand that the town names are made from chunks... I just want there to be more of each chunk.

In the game as it stands, on large maps (1024+) there are too many towns with very similar names. I would like to see more variation, is it possible or is the number of entries determined by a maxed out byte value or something?
Is this meant for TTD Patch, or for OpenTTD?
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

kamnet wrote: 10 Dec 2022 05:28
Svartypops wrote: 09 Dec 2022 12:33 Is there a way to add more variations to the town names?

Is this meant for TTD Patch, or for OpenTTD?
I don't know, what is the difference between the two?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Svartypops wrote: 10 Dec 2022 11:19 I don't know, what is the difference between the two?
TTD Patch needs the original game and you apply the patch.
OpenTTD is a complete rewrite from scratch and then some ... but can use the original graphics and sound files if one has them, preferably by legal means.

They are vastly different projects.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

Oh, thanks for letting me know. I'm not really interested in those projects. I just want to be able to have more variety in my town names. If it mean I have to pick a side in some political shenanigans I can just take my enthusiasm and leave.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

No politics, TTDPatch is long dead and you're obviously talking about OpenTTD, because you mentioned bigger maps. The previous commenters are just being pedantic because you accidentally posted this in the TTDPatch section of the forums. They should know better. :roll:

In any case, the answer to your question is yes, you can use NewGRF to create a town name set. 2TallTyler has some demonstration NML here.
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

PikkaBird wrote: 13 Dec 2022 23:37 No politics, TTDPatch is long dead and you're obviously talking about OpenTTD, because you mentioned bigger maps. The previous commenters are just being pedantic because you accidentally posted this in the TTDPatch section of the forums. They should know better. :roll:

In any case, the answer to your question is yes, you can use NewGRF to create a town name set. 2TallTyler has some demonstration NML here.
Apologies to all concerned. I didn't know anything about TTDPatch.

Thanks for clearing this up and thanks for the link :D
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Svartypops wrote: 14 Dec 2022 11:04
PikkaBird wrote: 13 Dec 2022 23:37 No politics, TTDPatch is long dead and you're obviously talking about OpenTTD, because you mentioned bigger maps. The previous commenters are just being pedantic because you accidentally posted this in the TTDPatch section of the forums. They should know better. :roll:

Apologies to all concerned. I didn't know anything about TTDPatch.
no worries
Thanks for clearing this up and thanks for the link :D
I totally missed the larger map thing you mentioned ... sorry for that ...

Pikka is not wrong though I should have seen that and yeah ... you don't have to choose and please dont leave over getting an aswer
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

Return to “Suggestions”