[OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by NekoMaster »

Nordleng wrote: 25 Nov 2022 10:23 Hello.
A great set. But there are not enough tanks for liquids. With a large capacity.
For example, there is one hopper in the supplement.
this is an ADDON for NARS 2.5X, so you'll need to have NARS 2.51/2.52 loaded with this as this set mostly was designed to add a bunch of locomotives but I ended up also adding some railcars too that I thought where neat.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

You could code it so that it warns or disables itself if NARS 2.5x isn't detected :wink:
AdmiralEllis
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2218) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by AdmiralEllis »

NekoMaster wrote: 06 Aug 2022 17:58
[...]

NARS Add-on Set 2cc has NEVER had variable running costs as I didn't know how to impliment that until I had a huge roster of vehicles and I just don't feel like doing variable running costs for a crap ton of locomotives.

[...]
Shoot, that explains a lot. I literally made an account to ask why the D16 is so OP and ended up down a rabbit hole of experiments and reading old forum threads about how the running costs work. I love the 2CC set so much (especially the narrow gauge) but it's been driving me up a wall trying to balance it with regular NARS. Using JGR's patch pack I can blanket-reduce the running costs of stationary vehicles by up to a factor of 8, which almost makes those costs completely negligible and "fixes" the issue of NARS having variable running cost and 2CC not. But with that done, the 2CC locomotives become outrageously cheap compared to their contemporaries, even at 1x instead of 1/2x. And 2x takes it too far in the other direction, especially for the narrow gauge which is supposed to be relatively inexpensive to run.

I apologize for asking this, and I know it undoubtedly is bound to be a lot of effort, but if this grf is to be a companion to NARS...
Is there any way at all these locomotives could be made to function the same way?
Is it complicated, or is it just a lot of tedious work?
I am but a simple engineer who knows little of coding but I would be more than willing to volunteer my time if this is the outcome, if you could show me the steps I would need to take.

No matter what, thank you for putting your heart and soul into making this thing. It's an amazing pack with a great set of vehicles and I may still endeavor to find a way to make it work.
TurbomanAlco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TurbomanAlco »

I've updated the code so locomotives have variable running costs. Included with the source is the python script used to patch the original code. Tested briefly, so let me know if I screwed something up.
Attachments
NARS Add-on Set 2CC - Source.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
nars_add_on_set_rev2208262034.tar
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
AdmiralEllis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdmiralEllis »

TurbomanAlco wrote: 04 Oct 2023 04:52 I've updated the code so locomotives have variable running costs. Included with the source is the python script used to patch the original code. Tested briefly, so let me know if I screwed something up.
Seems to work fine at a glance! I'm so excited about this.
Get this up on Bananas! (if you're allowed to)

D16 is still OP but that's okay. Maybe the other early stuff is just overpriced.
AdmiralEllis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdmiralEllis »

AdmiralEllis wrote: 20 Oct 2023 22:59
TurbomanAlco wrote: 04 Oct 2023 04:52 I've updated the code so locomotives have variable running costs. Included with the source is the python script used to patch the original code. Tested briefly, so let me know if I screwed something up.
Seems to work fine at a glance! I'm so excited about this.
Get this up on Bananas! (if you're allowed to)

D16 is still OP but that's okay. Maybe the other early stuff is just overpriced.
Just checking back and saying that everything seems to work, but the balance with NARS is perplexingly worse than before. The running costs must have been calculated differently.
Apologies for the double-post, I cannot figure out if I'm able to edit my posts.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Version 24011317189 has been uploaded to Bananas, fixes some issues with wagons that were set not to expire using a nonstandard method that won't work in recent JGRPP releases or the upcoming 14.0 version of OpenTTD.

Otherwise no other major changes to report.

If there's any issues with this or vehicles missed hit me up here on the forums or go bug reldred on the Discord. Nekomaster has moved on to other things and doesn't have a lot of time for TTD.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
AdmiralEllis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdmiralEllis »

Aegir wrote: 13 Jan 2024 07:09 fixes some issues with wagons that were set not to expire using a nonstandard method that won't work in recent JGRPP releases or the upcoming 14.0 version of OpenTTD.
Thank you!

Return to “Graphics Development”