OpenTTD 13 Title Game Competition

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

OpenTTD 13 Title Game Competition

Post by 2TallTyler »

The OpenTTD 13 Title Screen Competition

Hello everyone, and welcome to the OpenTTD 13 title screen competition! This is your opportunity to design and help choose the savegame which plays behind the main menu of OpenTTD; pictured above is Plus C's winning entry for last year's OpenTTD 12 release.

Yes, this means OpenTTD 13 is coming soon. :)

The rules for the competition are as follows:

SCHEDULE
  • Submission deadline: Thursday, December 1, 2022, at 23:59:00 UTC.
  • Voting opens December 2, 2022.
  • Voting closes: Thursday, December 15, 2022, at 23:59:00 UTC.
ENTRY AND VOTING

All entries will be posted to this topic as a savegame. You may change your entry at any time, but only one entry will be accepted by the close of entries. If updating, please post a new entry and either delete the old entry or PM a moderator to have it removed.

Voting is now open! Upvote your favorite entry/entries on this GitHub discussion before Thursday, December 15, 2022, at 23:59:00 UTC.
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/discussions/10210

TITLE SCREEN GUIDELINES
  • This will be a first impression of the game for many new players, so create something which you feel summarizes the game. This is usually a busy, exciting scene showing off many modes of transport, but there are no rules about what must be shown.
  • A traditional part of these title games is featuring new features of the release. Of the many new features in OpenTTD 13, perhaps the only one visible in a title game is the new wide rivers. You can play with this feature by using the Nightly build, available in Steam's OpenTTD->properties->betas menu and from the OpenTTD website.
  • Use camera control signs to show many views of your game. Remember to test the commands you write, and that the player's screen resolution or window size can affect what gets shown and does not get shown. Test on multiple different resolutions if possible. Instructions on using the camera controls is here: viewtopic.php?p=1248166#p1248166
  • Note that any signs you place will be visible. This excludes signs used for the camera control, which are removed when the game is loaded.
  • Breakdowns will automatically be disabled. Cheating for money is OK. Unprofitable companies are OK. Building with multiple companies is OK. Building the game in the Scenario Editor is OK.
  • Do not use AIs, GameScripts, or NewGRFs. These are automatically disabled.
  • The game must be created in a clean, master branch version of OpenTTD or its official binaries. The game cannot be created in custom modified versions of OpenTTD or in popular patch packs such as JGR Patch Pack, LtJoker's Patch Pack, Reddit client, CityMania client, etc.
Feel free to check out the OpenTTD 12 competition for inspiration.

Good luck!
Last edited by 2TallTyler on 02 Dec 2022 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 13 Title Game Competition

Post by JustMoreMemes »

Gonna post this here, it's my first go at this but I love how this turned out, it's very dense and busy with train lines, planes, boats, wide rivers, highways, roads and bridges everywhere. It's very hectic and dense but I love it, laying extra railways at the end felt a bit like what it must've been like at Wuppertal before the Schwebebahn was built.

I haven't done any camera signs as I don't know how yet, I think this would really benefit from them though so I will add some if I can figure out how, but I wanted to post a version of it just in case I can't.

I did use cheats, the scenario editor, and the StreetTraffic Ai to set up all of this, plus I forgot to turn a basic gamescript off however it should work perfectly when it's all disabled on the title screen as the system doesn't need to add anything, all the vehicles are already placed.
Attachments
Savegame Attempt 1 Nocam.sav
My savegame for the title screen, focus on the dense urban lake-side area if possible.
(161.4 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

A few screenshots to show it off, hopefully this is allowed, it seemed useful to add. It won't let me post them all but hopefully these will do.
Kenfingley Market Transport, 19th May 1982#6.png
(1.27 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Kenfingley Market Transport, 19th May 1982#5.png
(1.26 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Kenfingley Market Transport, 19th May 1982#4.png
(1.22 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Since it wouldn't let me upload them all I just made a video:
JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JustMoreMemes »

I wasn't completely happy with my first entry so I made a second one, this one is a lot more centralized and from the default position on loadup it's a pretty good shot with lots of action, all transit types, as well as wide rivers.
I couldn't figure out the game script or the camera controls but if anyone knows how I'd love it if you could add a custom camera, I put a loop-line train that goes around the lake.
Stansay Bridge Transport, 4th Jul 1967.png
(755.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stansay Bridge Transport, 6th Jul 1967.png
(4.93 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Savegame Attempt 2 NocamV2.sav
Made some changes, more planes are added so you see them on the menu, some vehicles are removed to avoid queues, and train routes were modified so you see them moving more.
(165 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Gilgames
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gilgames »

This is a smal map, but i like it. Since i cant make fancy video about it, my idea was that the camera moves in a circle. Maybe in an octogon shape it thats easier to do.
Road vechile #350 is the camera bus. Code should follow that bus infinitely. But i dont know how to code that.
Attachments
Open theme save 2.sav
(103.35 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by Gilgames on 01 Nov 2022 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Because there weren't many entries and I won't be tallying votes, I put together an entry myself.

If anyone wants examples of the camera controls, feel free to check out my usage.
Attachments
TitleGame.sav
(246.05 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Gilgames wrote: 01 Nov 2022 12:46 This is a smal map, but i like it. Since i cant make fancy video about it, my idea was that the camera moves in a circle. Maybe in an octogon shape it thats easier to do.
Road vechile #350 is the camera bus. Code should follow that bus infinitely. But i dont know how to code that.
Unfortunately you've used a NewGRF in this save, and OpenTTD refuses to use it as the title game. (Try renaming it to opntitle.dat and putting it in your baseset folder, and you'll see what I mean).
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I remembered this just in time I hope :)

Here's my entry. Yes, it's a rehash of a previous entry I've made, but I improved a lot of details and added all new camera controls. I've kept it simple with no panning, because I'm not a fan of how the panning stops as soon as you move your mouse. Also this reminded me more of RollerCoaster Tycoon. :P

Here's a preview video:
Attachments
Gintchester Falls Transport, 2150-10-22.sav
(134.93 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
eV_Vgen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eV_Vgen »

Phew, I hope I've finished it just in time. Wasn't looking to participate actually, but I thought that this might be my last, so why not apply? Perhaps, there might be performance issues on low-end machines with this one (I got carried away a bit and now there are a little over a thousand road vehicles :D ).
I've also attached a scenario file for any of you guys willing to do something of your own with this layout.
Attachments
Title_Tropical_With_Industries.scn
(105.27 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Title_Save_eV.sav
(282.65 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Seriously unserious proposition: Chemtrails Incorporated :mrgreen:

Rather for private use, but who knows... ;)

Btw. I think there should be set some limit for the vehicles amount. Their large number can be problematic for weaker computers. It would be a bit unpleasant if, right after launching, it turns out that the game causes a significant increase in CPU load.
Attachments
Chemtrails Incorporated.png
(461.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Chemtrails Incorporated, 2042-01-26.sav
(157.34 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Gilgames
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gilgames »

Well, i haven't used any newgrf i swear it's pure vanilla. Nor i have any sign in there. I tried to rename the file and it didn't worked. Idk what to do.

edit: I managed to update the file, now it works as a static background. but i still would love to see the following vechile feature for it.
Attachments
title13.sav
(105.39 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Last edited by Gilgames on 02 Dec 2022 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Voting is now open! Upvote your favorite entry/entries on this GitHub discussion before Thursday, December 15, 2022, at 23:59:00 UTC.
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/discussions/10210

--------
Gilgames wrote: 02 Dec 2022 07:22 I managed to update the file, now it works as a static background. but i still would love to see the following vechile feature for it.
As you requested, I added a camera feature following the Camera Bus indefinitely.
JustMoreMemes wrote: 26 Oct 2022 01:10 I couldn't figure out the game script or the camera controls but if anyone knows how I'd love it if you could add a custom camera, I put a loop-line train that goes around the lake.
I couldn't figure out which train you wanted, so I didn't add camera controls. Also, you used AI, which isn't allowed (it crashes the game), so I bought the AI company with the player company. The AI had a lot of green trucks, so I painted the player's trucks green with the group colour tool to try and keep the entry as consistent to your original save as possible. Hope I did okay. :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Voting has ended, and here are the results!

3 votes: LaChupacabra
7: JustMoreMemes
7: Gilgames
9: Emperor Jake
16: eV_Vgen
29: 2TallTyler

Thanks to all that entered and voted!
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

A strange sight. In all the rankings I know, the best has always been at the top. :D I admit that seeing my unserious proposal on the competition list was a bit scary... What if more people voted for it? Fortunately, common sense and a nice classic won out. Congratulations Tyler :)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “General OpenTTD”