How Long do Coal Mines Last?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

How Long do Coal Mines Last?

Post by CTarana45 »

How Long do Coal Mines Last? :lol: Both the Coal mines in my Headquarters Declared Eminent Closure! I'm playing with Disasters on and a Variable Economy!
The coal mines are a excellent income source!

Christopher Tarana
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How Long do Coal Mines Last?

Post by Redirect Left »

Coal mines can in theory last for an indeterminate, yet simultaneously never-ending amount of time. I don't believe there is any specific cut off date for them, but they may fall to the random axe of shut downs at any point, as all industries can I think. If I recall correctly, they are less likely to fall to the random axe if they have a good service rating, but still can do.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

To put it short, a coal mine will close only if it doesn't receive adequate station service. This applies to all primary industries except oil wells. A more detailed description of the rules can be found somewhere in the Wiki.

Some economy add-ons change the default rules. For example, in ECS a coal mine will inevitably close when its deposits are used up. In FIRS on the other hand, primary industries never close even if they aren't served by any stations.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Coal is a great income indeed, but it's even better if you load up both ways!

Find a coal mine and a power plant close to each other, and another coal mine close to another power plant.

Now, run like this:

Coal mine A -> Power Blant B -> Coal mine B -> Power Plant A

This way you'll make even more money from coal, not running empty half the time.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
jimor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimor »

Chrill wrote: 30 Nov 2022 11:49 Coal is a great income indeed, but it's even better if you load up both ways!

Find a coal mine and a power plant close to each other, and another coal mine close to another power plant.

Now, run like this:

Coal mine A -> Power Blant B -> Coal mine B -> Power Plant A

This way you'll make even more money from coal, not running empty half the time.

Thanks to Chrill for the advice, the way you described is really effective and now I can earn even more from coal.
Thanks to the Leo compatibility chart, I knew that my best match is Sagittarius. Now I'm dating my Sagittarius, it's cool :bow:

Return to “General OpenTTD”